Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does a Seller Have to Wait

Someone posted a "I'm interested. Will talk to you after work" I'm interested in the item, but didn't want to step on toes. I'm willing to buy the item now. Sort of a "Who's on First"

07-08-2015, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A seller is not required to wait for negotiations, though a little time would be courteous.
07-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree

I've made the mistake of posting, "PM Sent" and asked the seller to give me a few days till the 1st of the month, or to let me do some research on the lens. I've been very grateful to those who gave me the time, but also lost a few as well due to my lack of making a final decision. I'm sure there will always be another down the road as well. Thanks for the feedback.
07-08-2015, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If someone says, "I will TAKE it, can I PAY in a few HOURS?" then I'd say ok, fine. If someone just wants to potentially chat about it later but someone else actually wants to buy it now, that someone else will probably get it but it depends. If someone is being serious, I'll hold their place. But IMHO, saying "give me a few days" (for what?) or "I'm doing research" is not serious and I'd say, "Uhh...that's nice. But it is still available to anyone else." Honestly I don't even know why you'd tell a seller that at all. (What I hear as a seller is "I saw your listing, and that lens looks mildly interesting. Just thought you'd like to know." Well, ok. Good to know.) Again, if you said, "I'll take it!" definitively, or had very specific questions, i.e. "If will take it as long as condition is such and such, can you verify?" and then asked for a couple of days to PAY I'd probably do that as long as you had a few positive feedbacks already listed. For a first-time buyer/seldom poster, probably not...

07-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
"I'm interested. Will talk to you after work"
To me, this is not a "firm" sale. If they took the time to post/pm this message; they also had time to commit & send payment. I would simply reply that without a firm commitment, if someone wants it, first come, first served.
07-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

As a seller, I take "I'm interested" as completely different to "I'll take it". If you have an "I'll take it", I'd sell it. Or I'd at least ask for clarification from the first guy if his "I'm interested" means he wants to buy it. Just my 2 cents.
07-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Many potential buyers ask questions and ultimately decided not to buy. The seller shouldn't be obligated to wait for their decision. Whoever promises to buy first should get first dibs in my opinion, then give that buyer a reasonable amount of time to complete payment.

07-09-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Many potential buyers ask questions and ultimately decided not to buy. The seller shouldn't be obligated to wait for their decision. Whoever promises to buy first should get first dibs in my opinion, then give that buyer a reasonable amount of time to complete payment.
When they are asking questions but undecided, I draw the line at where their intention is. Some people ask questions like, "Yes, this looks interesting, and I think maybe I can use it for so-and-so [type of image/project/whatever] -- do you think it can do that?" That's vague, but their intention seems to be "if I can be reassured that it is suitable for what I want, then I'll buy it". And then I'll tell them yes it is, or no you'd be better off with this instead (and yes I have done that -- told them to go buy something more suitable). So as long as it doesn't take them forever in-between responses, if their intention quickly becomes clear (i.e. are they serious and really need information, or are they just doing general research and/or are curious) and they are a serious buyer, then I'll hold their place in line and answer all the questions they want as long as it is happening in a timely manner. Or sometimes they'll want a particular kind of sample image, and so I'll go do that (now it is up to me to respond in a timely manner) and even if someone else PMs me that instant and says "I'll take it" I'll tell that new person someone is ahead of them and I'll let them know.

I just try to be fair, and honestly I've never had a problem. Some people have expressed mild interest, or serious interest but honest about not having the money just now, and I've sold it to someone else (without them getting mad about it); and others I've had multi-day conversations with and did end selling to them even though I had other willing buyers waiting to see what would happen.

We covered a lot of these issues recently in this similar thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/297809-suggestion...etiquette.html
07-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Lens is on its way..

I had sent a message to the seller, that it was up to him, but told him, "I'm ready to buy tonight". I know I had read the same problem either here, or over at Hammock Forums. I sent a message to Adam and the post here. After all the great feedback, In the end, I think, both the seller and myself did the right thing.

Anyway, the lens is on the way today via UPS with tracking.

---------- Post added 07-09-15 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

We covered a lot of these issues recently in this similar thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/297809-suggestion...etiquette.html

I was doing a search for this last night. I guessed, "HELP! I'm CONFUSED" were not the best words to use in a search.

Thanks for the link. It's a big help to all of us.
07-10-2015, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If the buyer is Otis and he says he will get back with you after his nap, forget it and sell it at the first opportunity. He can sometimes nap for half a day.
Regards!

Oh yeah, if his credit card says "Rupert" you can bet it was stolen.
07-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

and maybe a title for a corollary thread.

A buyer said he'd take it and asked for a paypal email and then disappeared. In the meantime, others are asking if it is still available.
07-11-2015, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Never had any real problems in the Marketplace. The first person to Paypal me is the winner. That keep it pretty simple. When buying , I assume the same holds true for the buyer. It's not really complicated...if you want something you buy it..and if you don't you don't wast the time of the seller playing pitty-pat back and forth.

Regards!

There are different rules for dealing with Otis...but you only need to know the first one....

*Never deal with Otis!