Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sensor shift in data sheets

I suggest to include the availabilty (and scale) of sensor shift in the datasheet of the description as well as in the DSLR comparison.

That feature can be a must for users frequently shooting architeture or landscape.
And it is not so easy to find out which bodies offer it (short to download all manuals and start searching).

09-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I suggest to include the availabilty (and scale) of sensor shift in the datasheet of the description as well as in the DSLR comparison.

That feature can be a must for users frequently shooting architeture or landscape.
And it is not so easy to find out which bodies offer it (short to download all manuals and start searching).
Are you referring to composition adjustment? That would be a good idea!

For reference the cameras that do have it are the K-3, K-5, K-30, K-50, K-7, and any respective variants.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is it correct, that the K-01 has got this feature, but the K-S1 and K-S2 don't?
I am asking, because one of our members and obviously owner of a K-01 (in the articles section) says his K-01 has not got it.

I also would suggest to give some easy understandable value, not just YES or NO. I am saying this because the user comments in that same section imply that the shift/rotate range of the K-7 is good enough for some astro tracing, but not for architecture. It reminds me of the film days, where 35mm shift lenses were nearly useless for architecture, but the 28mm did shine.

By the way, I did use the expression "sensor shift", despite knowing newbees could think I speak about SR.
It is just that no one not specialized on the Pentax system will know what (technical!) "composition adjustment" will mean. Whereas any one who once read a good book about Photography (no matter how old) will know what a "shift lens" is. As "sensor shift" and "lens shift" are doing the same thing, I kind of automatically used this expression when I first heard of that feature.
09-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Is it correct, that the K-01 has got this feature, but the K-S1 and K-S2 don't?
I am asking, because one of our members and obviously owner of a K-01 (in the articles section) says his K-01 has not got it.

I also would suggest to give some easy understandable value, not just YES or NO. I am saying this because the user comments in that same section imply that the shift/rotate range of the K-7 is good enough for some astro tracing, but not for architecture. It reminds me of the film days, where 35mm shift lenses were nearly useless for architecture, but the 28mm did shine.

By the way, I did use the expression "sensor shift", despite knowing newbees could think I speak about SR.
It is just that no one not specialized on the Pentax system will know what (technical!) "composition adjustment" will mean. Whereas any one who once read a good book about Photography (no matter how old) will know what a "shift lens" is. As "sensor shift" and "lens shift" are doing the same thing, I kind of automatically used this expression when I first heard of that feature.
Strike that- the K-01 does not. I keep confusing the M42 lens tutorial video (which features a K-01) with our sensor shift tutorial.

And that's correct, the feature is not found in the K-S1 and K-S2. It makes sense to have it reserved for more expensive bodies.

Our spec tables will be updated to reflect this information.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: