Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Social groups Sign up or create

Is everyone aware of these social group pages? I see more and more meet up suggestions. Everyone should post themselves to a social group or if there is none for your area, create one. It's a great way to find members and get a meeting up organized.

create a group for your area like:
"New England"
"NYC"
"England and the UK"
"NZ"
Etc.

PentaxForums.com - Social Groups

06-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazingly to me, a St. Louis Area (Missouri, USA) social group formed up the first day - but we haven't really figured out what to do with it yet - I guess we're waiting for one of us to become a leader <|;>)>---
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Is everyone aware of these social group pages? I see more and more meet up suggestions. Everyone should post themselves to a social group or if there is none for your area, create one. It's a great way to find members and get a meeting up organized.

create a group for your area like:
"New England"
"NYC"
"England and the UK"
"NZ"
Etc.

PentaxForums.com - Social Groups
Thanks for the nudge Peter. I just created a group for San Diego, California. I know I've seen a few photographers on the forum from my city. I'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll end up changing the group to Southern California?
06-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

One thing about the groups - there's no notification or subscriptions - at least not one I can see.
But they really are great to have - thanks for the nudge Peter.

07-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I think it's a great idea to find members in each region. There should be a notify feature as JC says but it is still a good resource. I created a social group for Atlantic canada as well but I'm still the only member.

Lets get a few names on it and maybe someday we can have a meet up!

PentaxForums.com - Atlantic Canada
07-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up there. I never knew it existed. I just set one up for members in the Philly area.
07-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just set one up for the National Capitol Area (USA). The group creator (and maybe group members) CAN invite other members to join.

p.s. Adam, the only way I found to get to the Social Groups was through the Quicklinks Tab pull down menu. Could this be placed as a top or second level forum? Perhaps the other suggestion to promote "gatherings and events" could go in the same general area. Maybe make a top level called Networking and then place the "social groups" and "gatherings and events" under that. Possibly add a "photo ops" forum as well...

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think it's a great idea to find members in each region. There should be a notify feature as JC says but it is still a good resource. I created a social group for Atlantic canada as well but I'm still the only member.

Lets get a few names on it and maybe someday we can have a meet up!

PentaxForums.com - Atlantic Canada
A driving force / leader type can do a Member Seacrch by geographic identifier (or several, such as several US states that make up the Northeast, or CAN provinces that make up Eastern Atlantic) and individually invite members to join.

It is a lot of work, but at 10 a day it should take only a month for most areas.

07-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm just going to give this another bump. It's a good way to know who's in your area.