Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clou Quote
I don't feel comfortable with my likes taken away from users that don't log in for some time.
It is not that I like the pictures less than before and there might be reasons not related to the marketplace for their absence from the forum.

Edited to add: I see the benefit of a reward structure for frequent posters, it is just that the likes were given by individuals and are taken away by the current rules that creates IMHO an imbalance her.

Just my 2 cents...
They're not really taken away (you can still see a list your own posts that others have liked, and they will still show up in your profile); it's just that the counter is reset to enforce the 3-month login requirement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Adam......

I just noticed, there is no longer any place to DONATE listed on my screen. Not at the top of pages, as usual, nor in "My Account" or "My Activity" files????

Surely I haven't maxed out my allowable donations??????

Kitty.......

Maybe someone will help you out, it is possible. My pal Otis has a thing for helping out distressed Pentaxians. Looking at your posts here, just briefly, they mostly seem to be more technical and gear related, which don't appear to result in as many "Likes" as more "social" and photo posts?

A few observations that might apply to many posters here....not necessarily to you, I don't know you and am not familiar with your posts here.

I get Likes almost ever day, usually several. It's not due to me being a fantastic shooter, that's for damn certain!, but I do post a lot....and I mean a LOT! I practically live here, and if they had better food and more free drinks, I would just move in and never leave. Mrs Rupert would probably miss me like a bad tooth, and do just fine without me!

I'm more on the "social side" of posting, I like for my photos to have a little story with them, and......this is KEY and MOST IMPORTANT.......I try to respond to the posts of others. Maybe only a few words to let them know I enjoyed their post, photo, or what they had to say.

Those that don't reply to others, I call Ugly Posters......more here about them.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/301157-ugly-posters-...post-here.html

When you reply, you acknowledge their work, their existence and their worth here as Members. People tend to like that, I know I do! You make friends that way, and it's good to have a lot of friends....here or anywhere else.

The fastest way to get Likes is to have a companion helper......like Otis Squirrel. While not everyone appreciates Otis...plenty do! I could loan him to you for a couple of weeks and you would quickly reach your goal. However, I doubt it would be worth it, Otis is high maintenance and often more trouble than I can handle. Out of all my Likes, Otis tells me that only three are for me.....and two of those were mistaken Likes meant for someone else.

Maybe Adam will start accepting DONATIONS again and your problem will be solved? If so, you need to be certain that Otis gets a few Likes from you...he likes to keep his little swollen head...swollen!

Best Regards!
Rupert
12-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the "Donate" button at the top of the screen!
Attached Images

12-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have agree with forum users being less than generous with likes, but, that's because it's photography forum, and many of us have really high standards. On this thread I highlight how tough the Pentax forum is.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/289380-you-guys-s...no-really.html

Not to mention things like my favourite post in years
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/310359-people-niagara...y-picture.html

It didn't get a single like.

I could frame this series and put it up on a wall in a room, and that would be my happy room.

But if you really want to get to 75 likes…..
Post your best images in at least three threads. Your camera thread, your lens thread, and a special interest thread like the Bokeh club, or the 300 plus images thread. A lot of people only check one of those three threads and won't even see your post if you only post in one place. I frequently copy paste and post in 3 different places. I can put a bird image in the 300 plus club, but Charlie Zap and Sailor, aren't going to see it there, because they don't go to that thread. Zapper and Sailor probably aren't going to "like" my posts, but they'll comment and tell me what they think. And that's typical of "Post your photos." If you have a long lens you get the :likes" because everyone in that club understands the issues and problems and is happy for you when against all odds you succeed in a shot or two.

This is more about effective sharing than it is about going for likes. But my experience is, if I like it, someone else will, (unless it's a Niagara Falls "Take My Picture" post.

If you get a chance shoot a few images when you're out for a thread. There's a rust and a sign thread, it takes hardly any extra effort to keep an eye out for those things. Doing those kinds of things also make your own photographic journey a lot more interesting,

"Like" it or not, likes are a sign people appreciate your work. A lot of the time that's just a matter of finding the people who like your work, and posting in the threads they go to.

That being said, I never post anything actually looking for likes. I just share the stuff i take that I really like, and I "like" the stuff that inspires me.

Last edited by normhead; 12-27-2015 at 10:12 AM.
12-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're not really taken away (you can still see a list your own posts that others have liked, and they will still show up in your profile); it's just that the counter is reset to enforce the 3-month login requirement.
Just a technical question:
What's the reason for resetting the counter to -1?

Michael
12-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I practically live here
You're not the only one

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not to mention things like my favourite post in years
I just had to go and like that now
12-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You're not the only one

I just had to go and like that now
Now everyone that didn't already will just think I make stuff up.

12-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now everyone that didn't already will just think I make stuff up.
I could unlike it if you'd rather...
12-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I pretty much agree with Norm.....and although I'd be lying if I said I didn't like getting Likes, it is more important to get feedback and conversation in the threads you post in from friends and others that reply to your posts.

It's not a pissin' contest here...pardon my French....but if people like your posts it's a sign you are on the right track...or own a famous squirrel!

Drag and drop posters don't do too well here unless they are superb shooters and their work is overwhelmingly fantastic. Few of us meet those standards.

Truth is, this is a photo forum but also a social forum in every sense of the word. No one goes to the party to look at the great hors d'oeuvres and admire the wine glasses......they go for the social aspect......Ugly Partygoers like Otis only go for the nut tray and then skip out when it is empty.

Regards!

BTW
- Looked high and low...still no sign of a place to DONATE....not on any page, not in My Account...not anywhere? Maybe Mrs Rupert is responsible, after all, I've been using her accounts to donate...the accounts Otis hacked!
12-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW- Looked high and low...still no sign of a place to DONATE....not on any page,
As I posted previously with the picture of my screen. the donate is in the very upper left corner of every page. I'm using FireFox; but that shouldn't make any difference.
12-27-2015, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
As I posted previously with the picture of my screen. the donate is in the very upper left corner of every page. I'm using FireFox; but that shouldn't make any difference.
Damn! I see it now.......I had sticky note on my screen blocking it, that said......"Feed Store Monday!"

Thanks Carol! I feel like an idiot...cause I are one!

Regards!
12-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're welcome.
12-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
would like to get access to the Marketplace. I would donate if I had extra cash. All my money is going toward medical bills, etc. I can't afford to spend enough on equipment to get access (and it would only be 1 month's access).
Well! Looky there Kitty!.....You are now a certified Site Supporter! I guess you caught Otis in a good mood....you just never know with Otis...sometimes he is generous, and sometimes he sends people boxes of worms...or worse.....boxes full of orphan squirrels!

If you see Otis around in a post here at PForums, you can "Like" him and help keep his little head swollen to house his big ol' brain comfortably! He will appreciate it, no doubt!

You won't have a hard time finding him...he's always hanging around here someplace.

Regards! & Happy New Year!
12-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam...... I just noticed, there is no longer any place to DONATE listed on my screen. Not at the top of pages, as usual, nor in "My Account" or "My Activity" files???? Surely I haven't maxed out my allowable donations??????
I can check, but the button should be there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Damn! I see it now.......I had sticky note on my screen blocking it, that said......"Feed Store Monday!"

Thanks Carol! I feel like an idiot...cause I are one!
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I can check, but the button should be there!
Yes...as you can see it was there behind a sticky note......I'm wondering if I have ever asked you for help when it wasn't just a case of my oversight of what was already there if I had just looked closer?? I hear you can see a lot if you just look!

Best Regards! & Thanks!