Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 02:27 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Pentaxian rank and Likes

I would like to get access to the Marketplace. I would donate if I had extra cash. All my money is going toward medical bills, etc. I can't afford to spend enough on equipment to get access (and it would only be 1 month's access).

Since I have over 2 years membership (5 years, actually, in a few days), I would only need 200 posts and 75 recent likes to reach Pentaxian rank.

My main concern is most forum users don't seem to hit the like button, even if they like a post. Maybe this is an exception, but for example, I easily found this member with many years and many thousands of posts, with no likes. bbluesman - View Profile - PentaxForums.com It seems like the majority of active users don't have close to 75 recent likes, even when they post many original photos.

Also, then I could lose the rank if I didn't keep getting likes (so they are recent)? Again it would be hard to get 25 more likes every month, or every two months. (Just guessing at time frames.) Or is there another way to get likes that I'm missing?

By the way, the second post in "Sticky: READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide" is old, but since it's a sticky, you may want to add the likes requirement there and update the post count(s). It still says 2 years and 100 posts qualifies for Marketplace access.

12-13-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To clarify, the requirements for Pentaxian status are as follows:

One of the following conditions must be met:
-1000+ posts and 1+ years of membership and 15 total likes
-300+ posts and 2+ years of membership and 75 total likes

The likes do not need to be recent; they only get reset if you don't log in for 3 or more consecutive months (to prevent marketplace abuse).

Remember that you also score likes by posting lens reviews and adding serial numbers to our database.

These thresholds were chosen in order to make Pentaxian status somewhat of an exclusive perk.

Since it looks like you're still a ways away from obtaining Pentaxian status, and given the number of folks who took advantage of the black Friday donation option, perhaps you could find a sponsor to give you three months of free access

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, the best way to get likes is to post photos. People may occasionally give likes to posts that are funny or that they agree with, but seem more likely to give likes to interesting images. You used to be able to get likes for writing reviews of lenses as well, not sure if you can still do that to get likes.
12-14-2015, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Although I've seen an increase recently, overall I'd agree that the forum members here are more apt to reply with an "attaboy" but not hit the like button. Maybe the like button isn't prominent enough?

12-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps. I might shift it over to the other side of each post at some point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been trying to use the like button more now, probably to 'give back' for the likes I get?
12-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These thresholds were chosen in order to make Pentaxian status somewhat of an exclusive perk.
And it's appreciated Adam; as this status repays us for our posting here, for one thing! Posting more often will lead to more likes, as well.

I think the "Like" button is prominent, where it is.

12-15-2015, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Posting more often will lead to more likes, as well.
Depends on what you post;
12-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good point!
12-15-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Generally my rule is if I laugh a little bit at a post, I like it.
12-15-2015, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I "like" posts that contain good information to help others, as well as photography that takes my eye.
12-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I "like" posts that contain good information to help others, as well as photography that takes my eye.
That too, but I don't think I've liked many photos.
12-15-2015, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my experience it's simply true that not many people click the like buttons very often... The majority of the likes I've received (while relatively many, for which I am thankful ) I would be willing to bet came from a pretty small group of people, about five users whom I can usually accurately guess when I check to see who liked my posts... It's insightful too because most of my received likes come from posting photos, and it's often the photos I don't think much of that get likes, and then often the photos that I think will get likes, don't get any... Go figure.

Edit: I'd like to add that I think this message board would be better off without the likes feature, or if we were able to opt out (and thus be able to not see them at all...), or if they weren't being totaled per user.

Last edited by todd; 12-15-2015 at 12:34 PM.
12-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would hate to see the Likes feature no longer available. It does no harm, one can simply ignore the totals on member's avatars. I enjoy seeing what someone likes, whether it's one of my posts or someone else's.

I've gotten "likes" from many that I've had no previous contact with, and it's pleasant to know someone appreciates something you've posted.
12-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't feel comfortable with my likes taken away from users that don't log in for some time.
It is not that I like the pictures less than before and there might be reasons not related to the marketplace for their absence from the forum.

Edited to add: I see the benefit of a reward structure for frequent posters, it is just that the likes were given by individuals and are taken away by the current rules that creates IMHO an imbalance her.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Clou; 12-25-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Addition