Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Forum/thread for giving away old gear for free?

some people out here have old manual focus zooms/film bodies/etc. that they don't want, but it's not worth selling... they'd be glad to give it away for free, if they could find someone who wants it, and is willing to pay the shipping cost.

is there a mechanism here on pf that connects those parties?

maybe a free old gear giveaway thread that i haven't seen yet?

01-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're charging for shipping, post them in the marketplace. Otherwise, you can host a challenge or giveaway at your leisure in the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What if someone does not have an access to marketplace, but have a big amount of lenses which can add a quite price for shipping?
01-14-2016, 08:56 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Another forum that I used to frequent (not a photography site) had a Karma Forum. The idea was that everyone has small, relatively inexpensive items they don't need or want and giving them away would bring the giver good karma.
You start a thread in the Karma Forum saying what you were giving away. Members would then make a post saying they wanted it.
The person giving the item away was free to use whatever criteria he or she chose to decide whom to give it to.
The only real restrictions was that the giver could ask for nothing in return. It had to be completely free. No strings attached, no shipping charge, no trades, etc.
I'd like to see something like that here. I've got loads of stuff I don't, and never will use.

01-14-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Another forum that I used to frequent (not a photography site) had a Karma Forum. The idea was that everyone has small, relatively inexpensive items they don't need or want and giving them away would bring the giver good karma.
You start a thread in the Karma Forum saying what you were giving away. Members would then make a post saying they wanted it.
The person giving the item away was free to use whatever criteria he or she chose to decide whom to give it to.
The only real restrictions was that the giver could ask for nothing in return. It had to be completely free. No strings attached, no shipping charge, no trades, etc.
I'd like to see something like that here. I've got loads of stuff I don't, and never will use.
That would be a great subforum in the marketplace, which all users can post in.
01-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not all members have access to Marketplace.
01-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That is why I said "Which all users can post in"

01-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think that would be a fabulous idea.
01-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That is why I said "Which all users can post in"
I'm sure Adam could set it to give everyone access to it, but I would put it under General Pentax Forums or Off Topic Forums. It would be more visible.

Part of me says it should be restricted to members with, say, 30 days membership or 30 posts (something along those lines), but it probably isn't necessary as the giver would be free to give, or not give, the item to anyone.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-14-2016 at 09:49 AM.
01-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Jim; good suggestion!
01-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
What if someone does not have an access to marketplace, but have a big amount of lenses which can add a quite price for shipping?
X2

people giving away free glass aren't making any money, they are just trying to help out other photographers.

going thru the hassle of boxing it up and taking it to the post office, for free, should generate some karma

hmmm... maybe the way around it is to go ahead and pay the shipping, and leave it up to the recipient to return the karma in the form of a paypal donation for the exact shipping cost.

Last edited by osv; 01-14-2016 at 09:59 AM.
01-14-2016, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
X2

people giving away free glass aren't making any money, they are just trying to help out other photographers.

going thru the hassle of boxing it up and taking it to the post office, for free, should generate some karma

hmmm... maybe the way around it is to go ahead and pay the shipping, and leave it up to the recipient to return the karma in the form of a paypal donation for the exact shipping cost.
This would be an interesting fundraiser-type idea, actually. We could then use the proceeds to perhaps give away a larger item at a later date.

I didn't know you guys had so many items that you'd like to give away!

The giveaway forum would be a good place for this, since it sees little use in between official site events.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The giveaway forum would be a good place for this,
I suggest a subforum there and keep the main giveaway forum for the site events.
01-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I suggest a subforum there and keep the main giveaway forum for the site events.
I agree, subforum under Wanted Items (for example) would help to avoid confusion between forum giveaway, and members "karma" giveaway.
Still, some rules have to be there, imo. Like only registered member can participate, and maybe members with certain numbers of posts... something like that.
01-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I agree, subforum under Wanted Items (for example) would help to avoid confusion between forum giveaway, and members "karma"
No, I meant a subforum of Giveaways.
Wanted Items doesn't seem like the right place for giving something away.