Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's the protocol for buying on PF?

I'm new here so maybe I missed something. What is the point in stating "make offer" but then be offended and throw a cyber hissy fit little boy temper tantrum and allow your feelings to be hurt because you felt slighted by the offer? Not even a counter-offer?? Even eBay allows for counter offers , and they also offer buyer protection am I getting any guarantees here as a buyer?? Yet YOU asked in YOUR listing to "make YOU an offer" and then YOU "bump" "bump" "bump" because YOU can't sell it as fast as YOU would have liked. Then some say "I'm not desperate to sell" or "I really like this but don't really want to sell" yet YOU posted it "FOR SALE". Or you have a camera for sale from a year old post that you forgot about then I come along wake you up and now you need top dollar firm no offers lol . As a first time would be buyer on PF I get the message loud and clear : better to spend my money elsewhere. What am I missing????

01-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Plain and simple: don't low ball.
01-19-2016, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's not really a protocol. Some sellers and buyers are just kind of tightly wound, and use lots of question marks and exclamation points.

My own inclination would be that if a seller had a strong negative reaction to an offer I made, I would not do any business in the future with that seller, even if I found he offered a good price, because I would be concerned that if there is an after-sale problem it won't be handled well.

As far as buyer protection, Paypal offers that. You can file a claim through Paypal.

The vast majority of Marketplace transactions here on PF work out very equitably.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 12:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
But, what's "low ball"? For instance, I've seen used items on the Marketplace listed for nearly the same price as new. So if someone is listing a used lens for $200 and I see it new at B&H for $229 and I offer the seller $125 and give him the B&H link, is that a low-ball?
01-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Plain and simple don't low ball.
Plain and simple , I don't have to buy here. I work too hard for my money to spend it on someone else's terms besides I'm not a psychiatrist I don't have time for that just ask what you want or not.

01-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MindControl Quote
Plain and simple , I don't have to buy here.
You could try Fred Miranda.
01-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Plain and simple , I don't have to buy here. I work too hard for my money to spend it on someone else's terms besides I'm not a psychiatrist I don't have time for that just ask what you want or not.
It all boils down to the individual seller. Most sellers are easy to work with and polite, but that doesn't preclude occasional disagreements. Some people are really opinionated about their gear and can easily take offense, etc.

Fortunately, our track record for completed transactions is great- we see next to no negative feedback ratings, and staff intervention is extremely rare.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2016, 02:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like you just happened upon a crappy seller. Remember the name so you can skip their listings when you see them and try someone else.

01-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No you don't have to buy here; however, the vast majority of buyers/sellers are top notch on Marketplace, and are willing to work with someone. Just about all of my equipment has come from here, with absolutely NO problems of any kind. I feel safe buying from members in good standing here, than taking a gamble elsewhere such as EBay.

One other thought, bad reactions might be the result of how the offer was extended. I've had offers of items I've posted for sale, and they did not offend me in the least, because of how they worded their offer. On the other foot, the seller also should respond in a respectful manner. Simply saying "No, I cannot go that low", etc., would be acceptable without ruffling feathers.

Don't let one experience turn you off from dealing with fantastic members here!
01-20-2016, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I work too hard for my money to spend it on someone else's terms
Just about everything you have ever purchased, anywhere; internet, brick and mortar, whatever the commodity, camera, loaf of bread, gasoline, or a house, you have bought on the seller's' terms.
That's the way it works, EVERYWHERE. Sellers offer an item for sale. Buyers chose to buy, or not buy, at the seller's price. Quite a basic system, really.
What I'm hearing from your complaint is that you feel that if someone has an item for sale, they should sell it for whatever is offered. e.g. if you list your house for $200,000.00 and someone offers you $50,000.00 for it you should sell it to him for that. After all, if you didn't want to sell it, why did you list it?

Last edited by Parallax; 01-20-2016 at 09:11 AM.
01-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just about everything you have ever purchased, anywhere; internet, brick and mortar, whatever the commodity, camera, loaf of bread, gasoline, or a house, you have bought on the seller's' terms.
No not really and you missed the point but thanks for your input.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
our track record for completed transactions is grea
Good to know

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
No you don't have to buy here
Very true. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.
01-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Originally posted by csa Quote " No you don't have to buy here"

[Very true. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.]

Quoting only part of my response does not reflect what I actually was saying.
01-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for your input
You're welcome.
We hope you won't give up on the Marketplace or the forum based on one experience. Should you decide that a seller rejecting your offer is intolerable, well, that's unfortunate, and we wish you well in your future endeavors.
01-20-2016, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

the people who tend to complain about awful customer service are very often awful customers.

if you worded your pm to a seller the way you worded this original post, i can't see a reason to be sympathetic.

the marketplace here is absolutely spectacular. you can communicate very easily with the seller, and pricing is typically very fair.
01-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Plain and simple , I don't have to buy here.
Best answer here, and you answered it yourself! Most all of us have had great results in the Marketplace, buying or selling to people we generally know and trust. Few problems arise and are usually handled well...no one wants to be blackballed on PForums for bad dealings!

Maybe for you E-Bay is a better bet...look up Otis S...Otie..Otie S..or anything similar on the Bay and I am most certain he will have just what you are looking for! He is a Power Seller there, with prices that can't be beat anywhere in the real world!

Regards!
01-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
the people who tend to complain about awful customer service are very often awful customers.
I thought the "customer" is always right???

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe for you E-Bay is a better bet
Sometimes yes sometimes no, same for B&H , Adorama , Craigslist and at least a dozen local shops not too far away.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Best answer here, and you answered it yourself!
I said I don't have to , never said I absolutely would not.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 12:34 PM ----------

Like luftfluss said "what's a low ball"? Exactly what that is I'm not entirely sure but I must be guilty of it , so this , more than likely won't work.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
if you worded your pm to a seller the way you worded this original post, i can't see a reason to be sympathetic.
So this may be an answer to my question. What is the "wording" protocol?
Closed Thread