Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Terrible color of Pentax Forums uploads

I've posted this before... but never got a good response. Whenever I uplaod a picture to Pentax Forums, the color is always messed up and awful. It looks fine when I embed from flickr, it looks fine on flickr and 500px... And i've resized the image to fit Pentax Forums image sizes, but the image still looks like rubbish.

Here is an example. This is the flickr embed: and attached is the Pentax Forums upload

Help Help!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-01-2018 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Remove swearing
01-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I've posted this before... but never got a good response. Whenever I uplaod a picture to Pentax Forums, the color is always messed up and awful. It looks fine when I embed from flickr, it looks fine on flickr and 500px... And i've resized the image to fit Pentax Forums image sizes, but the image still looks like rubbish.

Here is an example. This is the flickr embed: and attached is the Pentax Forums upload

Help Help!!
Here is another upload, this time the same size image as the flickr embed

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 11:11 AM ----------

Huh... now that looks better???

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 11:15 AM ----------

Now it looks fine here... but when I edited the picture I submitted in the photo contest, to replace it with the one I just showed above... it still looks bad
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-01-2018 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Remove swearing from quote
01-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not had any problems with color shift when posting any of my images.
01-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems to be the previous of all the pictures in the contest are color-shifted - when I click on the picture and it opens the whole picture in a new tab, the colors look good. Adam, what's up??!!

01-30-2016, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you upload a file larger than the size limit, our system will scale it, but compression will be applied.

That can degrade the image quality slightly, though I don't believe it's the culprit here. My guess is that you're not using sRBG, which I believe will result in a color shift when our system goes to scale/compress files.

Easiest solution: always upload below the max. width/height limit, or use sRBG/"save for web" for all your web photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you upload a file larger than the size limit, our system will scale it, but compression will be applied. That can degrade the image quality slightly, though I don't believe it's the culprit here. My guess is that you're not using sRBG, which I believe will result in a color shift when our system goes to scale/compress files. Easiest solution: always upload below the max. width/height limit, or use sRBG/"save for web" for all your web photos.
saved as SRGB, a lot better!
01-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perfect!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some good advice in the replies here, though I had only noticed some images I posted looking a bit darker on the forum than they do viewed directly on my screen or on the host site I upload them to --darker, but without noticeable color shift.
02-05-2016, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

No problem here...my squirrels always look handsome when posted at PForums.....Always! Color is not significant if you are as handsome as Otis! Maybe more shooters should shoot...more squirrels?

Regards!
02-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Itd be handy if someone created a LR plugin for the forums...
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Itd be handy if someone created a LR plugin for the forums...
We don't modify uploads, so as long as they are saved in srbg and not overly big, they should look just like on your screen

Adam

02-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We don't modify uploads, so as long as they are saved in srbg and not overly big, they should look just like on your screen
Oh thats good. It would be convenient though .
12-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rawtherapee output always gets transformed

I'm picking up this old thread here as I'm struggling with all my pictures getting transformed (to incorrect color ...), despite fitting into the size constraints and using sRGB.

Unfortunately not - at least the interpretation of 'sRGB' seems to be narrow. Rawtherapee ships with the sRGB profiles documented on Color Management - RawPedia, which work fine e.g. when opening the files in browsers (Chrome, Firefox) locally.
Neither using 'sRGB_RT', nor the setting to not embed a profile - which should assume sRGB - seems to be accepted by the forum software as being 'sRGB'. My pictures are transformed (inflated from e.g. 120kB to ~280kb) and the colors are not matching at all, irrespective if a profile is embedded or not. I find this strange, because I would expect the sRGB definitions to roughly match at least, but the output is significantly more saturated.

So what's the recommendation here? Is the profile recognized by name? Which one exactly? Why isn't an empty profile considered sRGB?
12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'm picking up this old thread here as I'm struggling with all my pictures getting transformed (to incorrect color ...), despite fitting into the size constraints and using sRGB.

Unfortunately not - at least the interpretation of 'sRGB' seems to be narrow. Rawtherapee ships with the sRGB profiles documented on Color Management - RawPedia, which work fine e.g. when opening the files in browsers (Chrome, Firefox) locally.
Neither using 'sRGB_RT', nor the setting to not embed a profile - which should assume sRGB - seems to be accepted by the forum software as being 'sRGB'. My pictures are transformed (inflated from e.g. 120kB to ~280kb) and the colors are not matching at all, irrespective if a profile is embedded or not. I find this strange, because I would expect the sRGB definitions to roughly match at least, but the output is significantly more saturated.

So what's the recommendation here? Is the profile recognized by name? Which one exactly? Why isn't an empty profile considered sRGB?
The file shouldn't be touched if it's within limits. Can you upload the file in question to our gallery or google drive so I can take a look?

Adam

12-10-2017, 01:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you upload the file in question to our gallery or google drive so I can take a look?
Thanks for looking into it, I sent you a link via personal message.