Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Asking for value feedback = deletion?

Is asking for lens value feedback (i.e., "what's this worth") cause for deletion?

03-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
Is asking for lens value feedback (i.e., "what's this worth") cause for deletion?
If understood you correctly, you want to know what people think a value of a lens is - yours or otherwise? Probably not. Comments about a seller's pricing in the Marketplace (will) get deleted as far as I know.
03-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can ask for value, but sales outside of the Marketplace section aren't allowed, so the moderators might have flagged your thread if it implied a sale. If you had seller access this might not have been the case.

Lots of historical prices can be found in the lens database and in the "sold" section:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Sold Items - PentaxForums.com

Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As Adam hinted, it is not unusual for people to "phish" for potential buyers in the forums. The most common approach is to post a value inquiry along with detailed description and multiple high resolution photos of or from the item. The format is essentially that of an ad with the only thing missing being the asking price. Another ploy is to ask "which should I keep" and then provide a list of lenses or cameras. Sales are restricted to the marketplace and soliciting to sell outside that section is against forum rules.

As Adam noted, previous marketplace sales as well as the reviews may serve as a guide to value as might sales stats from eBay. Another good indicator might be how much you would be willing to or how much you did pay for what you are selling.

Steve

03-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started to answer your question but the post disappeared. Since you only had the one photo and so on, I personally didn't take it as fishing for buyers, but maybe someone could see it that way. At any rate, since I couldn't post my answer to your Kim Jong-Un'ed post, I sent you a Private Message with my ideas.
03-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I started to answer your question but the post disappeared. Since you only had the one photo and so on, I personally didn't take it as fishing for buyers, but maybe someone could see it that way. At any rate, since I couldn't post my answer to your Kim Jong-Un'ed post, I sent you a Private Message with my ideas.
I managed to answer and don't think it was fishing either but it got deleted.

In case you didn't see I also sent you a PM.
03-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
No problem. I posted it in The Marketplace.
03-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When you go to the Market Place make sure you have the policy manual handy...

03-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Yes, my ad took a few revisions before not violating policy.
03-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

So tell me about this lens you're selling
03-04-2016, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As he said 3 posts back, the lenses are listed in the Marketplace.
03-04-2016, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
So far, 99% of Marketplace issues are created by people who don't read the rules, which are posted at the top of the Marketplace, and aren't that complicated. The rules are in place to help keep members from getting ripped off, to prevent spammers from stepping in, and to give sellers a audience of buyers who are interested in their items. If a seller has a question about a rule, they can always PM a moderator or ask the forum help section, which, BTW is where this thread belongs and has been moved to.
03-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Regardless, we're always here to help, so never hesitate to holler if you have any questions

Some great member replies in this thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: