Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about a Travel Planning Forum?

I would be interested to know how many people would support a travel planning forum?

Many of us have travelled extensively, and done specific tours, and many I am sure would be interested in getting travel tips for destinations either based upon what members have done, or based upon where they live.

I have, in the past gotten good suggestions from other forum members, when travelling close to their locations.

It would be a good sub-forum for the General Talk forum, or perhaps it's own off topic forum.

07-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think that would be a good idea. Maybe it could be located in the gatherings and events section. Then people can also organise a gathering/meeting with other forum members if they so wish.
I would be worried that too many sections will mean that less people get to see individual posts because there would be too much to navigate through.
Gary
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think that would be a good idea. Maybe it could be located in the gatherings and events section. Then people can also organise a gathering/meeting with other forum members if they so wish.
I would be worried that too many sections will mean that less people get to see individual posts because there would be too much to navigate through.
Gary
Interesting, but I am not sure this is the same as a gathering. I mean it could be just a single thread on each city for example. Where individual posts cover things to do, and people's comments about them.

For example, there could be a post on Toronto, where responders warn people not to waste time on the leafs, just kidding!

Having posts by city would be pretty easy to navigate, and given that most people would be interested in photographs, it would result in lot's of interesting locations being posted.
07-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Interesting, but I am not sure this is the same as a gathering. I mean it could be just a single thread on each city for example. Where individual posts cover things to do, and people's comments about them.

For example, there could be a post on Toronto, where responders warn people not to waste time on the leafs, just kidding!

Having posts by city would be pretty easy to navigate, and given that most people would be interested in photographs, it would result in lot's of interesting locations being posted.
By being too much to navigate, I just meant that more and more sections there are, just makes the forum top heavy to look at. Just look at DPR, a lot of people don't go there because there's just too much of it and it's a nightmare to navigate. Maybe I should have suggested that it be it's own subsection.
Personally, if someone was visiting my area, I'd like to show them some hospitality if they were interested and I hope others would do the same for me. That's why I thought it should go in the M & G section.
Who knows, maybe the way to go is to have a DB for each city or area. Ultimately Adam is going to decide how it would be. Let's just hope it does happen in some way because it is a great idea and thanks for posting it.
Gary

07-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Are we alone on this?

It's funny, I would have thought more people would have put an opinion or voice support for this.
07-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It's funny, I would have thought more people would have put an opinion or voice support for this.

Maybe they don't like one (or both) of us.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to say "We told you so".
Gary
07-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a good idea. So if someone is planning on visiting, say, Kerry Co. Ireland they can ask if anyone has tips on what to bring, what to wear, where to shoot, etc. Might be nice to have this in one place, in its own forum.

I rarely use this site that way, however, and almost never know what post is in what forum.

07-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i think something like this would be a good thing. I know when I've traveled abroad recently, I've asked or tried to ask on here for some pointers on where to be sure not to miss, and I figure I will again come August as I prep for my trip to Croatia.

Mind you, mine aren't tours, but business trips when I get a day or two to play tourist on the company dime. But it's always nice to have someone who's been there offer advice on where to go, what to do, what to avoid etc.
07-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Gary
I like this idea a lot, and I think I'll be naming it the 'Photo Trips and Travel Planning' forum

It should fit nicely as a sub-forum of general talk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here it is! Photo Trips and Travel Planning - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Adam.
07-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam

Adam

Thanks

I have in the past sent PMs looking for ideas. But a lot of ideas are worth sharing, especially since we all share one theme, taking photos.
07-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Thanks adam

Thanks Adam
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam
See my posting in the new forum, you might be able to help

At least I got to be #1
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

excellent idea and congrats to Adam for acting on it.