Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Misellaneous lens review database

Could the miscellaneous database be further categorised by adding more manufacturers / distributors with their own sections, e.g. Chinon and Hanimex?
Browsing might be easier for me, maybe others too?

05-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A standardization of the third-party DB is planned, similar to what we've done with the Pentax database. What other brands would you like to see categorized?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As some of these lenses are obscure or have only one (or no) reviews, perhaps a ceiling of the number of reviews could be instated, perhaps three or more that would automatically flag up a need for a new category?
Good to know a tidy up is already planned.
05-07-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's not a bad idea- having lenses that are more common in their own category. I'll keep this in mind as we make changes to the system.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Some third party sections only list "most popular". I would be nice to have more segregation, broken down by make. Industar. Jupiter. Helios. Zenit.
05-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Misc Lens grab-bag can be rather daunting. Perhaps a prominent local 'dashboard' search panel based on 'name-tag's or FL's would be helpful - like the FL sort use in some areas.

It isn't that searches are not possible now, but that they may not be obvious starting points for new users.

Might be nice to give TC's their own stand-alone section. I'd look for them first as a type rather than a brand (which would be a secondary sort). Or allow cross referencing between categories by tags?
05-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Once we standardize the third party DB, searches and sorting like that will be possible. We'll most likely ask for community help due to the large number of lenses.

Adam

05-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Third party lens database

Just a thought, once the DB has been revised, or before if it is not too much work revising it, I wonder if a challenge to forum members to post a lens review from their collection might beef the DB up a bit?
Or comment on one of the obscurer named lenses if they have pertinent information.
I bought an IFOCO 135mm, M42 lens that seems very obscure and will be adding it to the misc section sometime. It would be interesting if one of the members could elaborate on it.