Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to switch on HTML coding within the Pentax Forum editor?

Hi,

I'd like to do some advanced editing directly by coding in HTML. Saw that it should be possible since there seems to be a switch to enable it. Unfortunately this feature is switched off. Can't find a way to enable it. Is this a general setting that can't be changed by me? Or where can I change it?

Thank's for your reply in advance.

Best regards, acoufap

05-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Hi,

I'd like to do some advanced editing directly by coding in HTML. Saw that it should be possible since there seems to be a switch to enable it. Unfortunately this feature is switched off. Can't find a way to enable it. Is this a general setting that can't be changed by me? Or where can I change it?

Thank's for your reply in advance.

Best regards, acoufap
The forum uses BBCode, not HTML.
05-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The forum uses BBCode, not HTML.
I know that the PF editor uses BBCode. It's only an easier "higher level" language that's translated internally to HTML. Browser only understand HTML and Java Script. I often use the HTML editor view in Wikis and other social media. They also offer something like BBCode. In some PF views we can see that the HTML feature seems to be existent for the PF Forum, but it's disabled. I ask how I can enable it. But maybe it's only possible for the administrators?!
05-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adam will weigh in soon but I believe HTML code is disabled and not available for members here.

05-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know that the PF editor uses BBCode. It's only an easier "higher level" language that's translated internally to HTML. Browser only understand HTML and Java Script. I often use the HTML editor view in Wikis and other social media. They also offer something like BBCode. In some PF views we can see that the HTML feature seems to be existent for the PF Forum, but it's disabled. I ask how I can enable it. But maybe it's only possible for the administrators?!
If you click on the icon in the upper-right corner of the editor, you can manually edit the bbcode tags that the WYSIWYG editor generates. HTML is not available for security reasons, among others.

If you have a specific type of formatting that you'd like to apply but can't, I'd be happy to add a new bbcode tag to pull that off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you click on the icon in the upper-right corner of the editor, you can manually edit the bbcode tags that the WYSIWYG editor generates. HTML is not available for security reasons, among others.

If you have a specific type of formatting that you'd like to apply but can't, I'd be happy to add a new bbcode tag to pull that off.
Hi Adam,

thanks for this hint. Helps to understand why things that I'm used to do don't work in this place.

I use the app iA Writer on iPhone, iPad and Mac. It's a little easy to use powerful editor - very convenient, love it.

This app uses a markdown language similar to BBCode. You can mark your text and then copy it as html to include the html-code wherever you like.

Today I generated a document with a table in iA Writer that shows infos like the different angles of view of a potential FL15mm lens on the different devices for different Pentax Cameras (1/1.7, APSC, FF, MF). Thought it could be interesting for the forum members.

So I wanted to copy it as html out of my personal iA Writer document and show it in a thread without writing it down once more in BBCode. So I'd need the opportunity to include the copied HTML-code into the PF editor so that it is shown correctly.

In this case the usual table-HTML-Tags would be nice as add-ons in the PF editor (html-tags: table, colgroup, col, thead, tbody, tr, th, td). CSS should be possible too. It would be nice, if there's a way to get there. Thanks for asking!

best regards, acoufap
05-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam,

thanks for this hint. Helps to understand why things that I'm used to do don't work in this place.

I use the app iA Writer on iPhone, iPad and Mac. It's a little easy to use powerful editor - very convenient, love it.

This app uses a markdown language similar to BBCode. You can mark your text and then copy it as html to include the html-code wherever you like.

Today I generated a document with a table in iA Writer that shows infos like the different angles of view of a potential FL15mm lens on the different devices for different Pentax Cameras (1/1.7, APSC, FF, MF). Thought it could be interesting for the forum members.

So I wanted to copy it as html out of my personal iA Writer document and show it in a thread without writing it down once more in BBCode. So I'd need the opportunity to include the copied HTML-code into the PF editor so that it is shown correctly.

In this case the usual table-HTML-Tags would be nice as add-ons in the PF editor (html-tags: table, colgroup, col, thead, tbody, tr, th, td). CSS should be possible too. It would be nice, if there's a way to get there. Thanks for asking!

best regards, acoufap
We do have a simple table bbcode installed, though personally I'd recommend that you just screenshot your HTML table and upload that.

Anyway, if you want to tinker, here are some examples.

ab
cd

Code for the above:

[table]a|b
c|d[/table]

It lets you (optionally) assign an overall table width, header row, and column spans:

Heading
abc-------------------
d------e

Code for the above:

[table="width=300px;head"]{colsp=3}Heading
a|b|c-------------------
{colsp=2}d------|e[/table]

The main limitation is that you're restricted to working with a single line for each row, so editing can become tedious. You can, however, include other bbcode tags within each cell.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: