Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does Single mean in Monthly Contest?

Everyday I received a message from Single in May 2016. What does Single mean? Also, on this contest, what is the theme? I see the notice telling me that the theme for this month is, "Still Life." However, that is not what has been uploaded in that section. Again, I apologize for not being up to speed on some areas of this site, but I must say I enjoy it here immensely. Thank you very much,

Tonytee

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-17-2016 at 01:04 AM.
05-17-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony. The "Single in..." challenges are where a group of forum members commit to taking one or more photos every day using a single lens on their Pentax cameras for a whole month. Certain days of the monthly challenge are themed, such as "Still Life", but these are not mandatory, as I recall. I took part in the "Single in December 2015" challenge and it was a lot of fun
05-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

What he said. I've played in this challenge since 2010. It's fun and you learn a lot about photography and your lens and your camera, but it is Pentax cameras only. You can take more than one photo but can only post one. So if you decide to try this, you'd have to leave your Nikon at home. And you should try it Tony.

I don't understand why you're getting a notice from the Single in May 2016 unless you've replied to that thread, you shouldn't get a notice.
05-17-2016, 01:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would add that this challenge (and it really is a challenge to find good subjects as the weeks go!) is an excellent way of getting your photography to a new level. The group gives very friendly and supportive feedback to your entries.

I still haven't participated in the Singles, but have had the pleasure of being with the sister group "Daily in..." challenge. Here the point is to post images every day, but with no constraint on the gear you use.

Highly recommended.

05-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing I liked most about the challenge is that in using a single lens for the whole month, often you have to find different ways to take the shot you want, or come up with an entirely different shot that suits the properties of the lens you're limited to using. I used a cheap 35mm CCTV lens on my Q7 for the challenge I participated in. With the crop factor, the focal length was equivalent to 165mm - very much in the telephoto range. The weather was dreadful here that month, so I ended up having to shoot indoors mostly, which really didn't suit that focal length. Furthermore, the overall optical quality of the lens left a lot to be desired, and I really just wasn't very keen on it overall. But, after a few days of having to use it regularly, I began to understand how I could play to its strengths and get the best from it. As @photolady95 has said, you learn a lot about your equipment, and your own photographic skills, by participating. It's a lot of fun.

When time permits I'll definitely join another challenge. In fact, I have another CCTV lens (slightly wider focal length, even worse optically!!) that I think I might try
05-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
What he said. I've played in this challenge since 2010. It's fun and you learn a lot about photography and your lens and your camera, but it is Pentax cameras only. You can take more than one photo but can only post one. So if you decide to try this, you'd have to leave your Nikon at home. And you should try it Tony.

I don't understand why you're getting a notice from the Single in May 2016 unless you've replied to that thread, you shouldn't get a notice.
I get a notice because I signed up for it. However, with everything else going on, I had yet to dig into it. I can post only one photo a month? The lens has to be the same Pentax lens used for the entire month?

Thanks very much for helping to clear it up.

Antonio
05-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I can post only one photo a month? The lens has to be the same Pentax lens used for the entire month?
yes, the same lens all month and only one photo per day all month, not one photo a month. If you're not interested in getting notifications for that thread, you can unsubscribe from it.
05-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Tony. The "Single in..." challenges are where a group of forum members commit to taking one or more photos every day using a single lens on their Pentax cameras for a whole month. Certain days of the monthly challenge are themed, such as "Still Life", but these are not mandatory, as I recall. I took part in the "Single in December 2015" challenge and it was a lot of fun
Thank you very much for helping to clear this up. By the way, I have not noticed anything uploaded from you in some time. Am looking forward to viewing your work again very soon.

Rgds,

Antonio

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 02:01 AM ----------

Okay, so essentially the challenge is to work one's magic with the same Pentax Lens on any Pentax Camera. I like the sound of it. Should be very interesting.

Thanks again.

Antonio

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 02:02 AM ----------

yes, the same lens all month and only one photo per day all month, not one photo a month. If you're not interested in getting notifications for that thread, you can unsubscribe from it.
On the contrary, I am very interested in the challenge. Hope to see you there.

Antonio.

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 02:03 AM ----------

On the contrary, I am very interested in the challenge. Hope to see you there.

Antonio.

05-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can post only one photo a month? The lens has to be the same Pentax lens used for the entire month?
You post one photo every day. You have to use a Pentax camera with a single lens, but the lens itself doesn't need to be Pentax - just any lens that is compatible with the camera. I used a very cheap Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens, with the appropriate adapter to fit the Q-system cameras.

Thank you very much for helping to clear this up. By the way, I have not noticed anything uploaded from you in some time. Am looking forward to viewing your work again very soon
You're welcome, Tony. I'm looking forward to getting back into it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-17-2016 at 03:15 AM.
05-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You have to use a Pentax camera with a single lens, but the lens itself doesn't need to be Pentax
I forgot to mention, the lens doesn't have to be a Pentax brand lens, but any lens compatible with k mount is acceptable. I have used Sigma, JCPenny, Sears, and Samyang lenses.
05-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

the SIC is a blast - I've been a part of it since September '15 and (k o w) have yet to miss a day of shooting....

I have learned a TON about my lenses and camera since then - I will admit, however, if you pick a lens for the month that is less-than-you-hoped-for.... it can end up being a drudge...

it has served me in several ways, including helping me cull my herd of lenses and guide me along in my chosen hobby...
05-17-2016, 03:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

My flickr contains shots from this month Tony.

Single in May 2016
05-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The requirement is Pentax camera or Pentax lens. This is a point of debate with some in the group, but seems to be well established as the norm. A few people choose to use a7's or the like with Pentax lenses.
05-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A few people choose to use a7's or the like with Pentax lenses.
He can't use a Pentax Lens on his Nikon. Well, without ruining the lens.
05-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He can't use a Pentax Lens on his Nikon. Well, without ruining the lens.
Lol. Too true! I can and have done the opposite (Nikon on Pentax) with success but that's easier.