Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ignore completely hides ignored user's posts

One can still see "'user123' has posted but is on your ignore list" in the parsing of threads. Is there a way to make those disappear, as if the person hasn't posted at all (minus others responses to their comments)?

If not, that is my request.

06-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be done, but again, pros and cons. What do others think?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Personally I think it's needed in case the ignored user posts something in a discussion. Without a notification the subject of the discussion could change direction and confuse the reader.
06-12-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks. I am not sure exactly how the ignore system works. I don't have anybody " ignored " so I am assuming that I am seeing all posters, unless I am on somebodies list. If I did have a member ignored, does that mean that if they start a thread, that I would not see it? That makes sense to me. If a member that I have ignored posts in one of my threads, then I would not see their posts? That would make sense. If another member quoted my ignored member, I would see that quote, correct? But being quoted is not direct contact, so I don't know how that could be stopped without completely changing the tone of the thread. I disagree strongly with some of the views held by a very few members here, but that does not make them wrong, just wrong for me. I might be naïve on this, but when somebody evokes an emotion in me ( good or bad ) it just reinforces who I am, to me. It forces me to think about what has been said, and make a personal judgement. This is a great community here. Even with the friction sometimes. I am very glad to be a small cog in this massive machine. Being human is tough sometimes !!!

06-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi folks. I am not sure exactly how the ignore system works. I don't have anybody " ignored " so I am assuming that I am seeing all posters, unless I am on somebodies list. If I did have a member ignored, does that mean that if they start a thread, that I would not see it? That makes sense to me. If a member that I have ignored posts in one of my threads, then I would not see their posts? That would make sense. If another member quoted my ignored member, I would see that quote, correct? But being quoted is not direct contact, so I don't know how that could be stopped without completely changing the tone of the thread. I disagree strongly with some of the views held by a very few members here, but that does not make them wrong, just wrong for me. I might be naïve on this, but when somebody evokes an emotion in me ( good or bad ) it just reinforces who I am, to me. It forces me to think about what has been said, and make a personal judgement. This is a great community here. Even with the friction sometimes. I am very glad to be a small cog in this massive machine. Being human is tough sometimes !!!
Please test it out. You can always take them off your ignore list.

We're not debating the need of an ignore system here but an added feature of the one already in place.

---------- Post added 06-12-16 at 09:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Personally I think it's needed in case the ignored user posts something in a discussion. Without a notification the subject of the discussion could change direction and confuse the reader.
Hmm perhaps so... that is a good point.

Yet I'm still thinking, with quoted references, if they could be made completely invisible, I'd take my chances. That is, ignored user and direct references to them. Also, any threads started by them, camera and lens reviews, etc.

Right now the ignored feature is pretty weak as we still see that they posted and then, if anyone quotes them, still see their messages. So it is kind of a swiss cheese ignore system at the moment.
06-12-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Another site I frequent has a show ignored / hide ignored toggle at the top of the thread. For instance, clicking on "Show ignored posts (4)" would display all content, including 4 posts from ignored users. If you don't click, there's no trace of ignored users or their posts. You'd click it again to hide those posts. I have to say it works very well.