Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketplace Item Listing Form in the works!

Custom Marketplace Item Listing Form under constrution!

I'm happy to announce that a custom item listing form is now under development for the Marketplace. This form will be complete with fields such as price, condition, and shipping preference, and should make Marketplace threads much more uniform, tidy, and easy-to-follow.

The last thing I need to have the form do before commencing a brief beta run is acknowledge thread prefixes. I'll post any updates in this thread and in the Marketplace forum as work progresses

As the size of our site increases, and the impact of the Marketplace rises, I'm striving to incorporate more advanced features and organization. This form, which will replace the standard posting window, will be the first. Stay tuned!

Edit: The form is now accessible at this URL: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=form

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds good!
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for all the work you put in this forum. It already is a very nice thing, complementory to the value of our Pentaxes, but you always manage to find new things to improve! Keep up the good work!

Syb
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
My original test version of the form is now finished! I won't have the "New Thread" button link to it until I get some feedback and suggestions for improvement, though. Feel free to give it a spin and create real Marketplace threads!

Here's the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=form

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The item condition key (see the form for details) will be as follows:

Mint: Item has no marks, scratches, or signs of use whatsoever. Packaged in original box with all manuals and accessories. 99.99% of original condition.
Like-New: Item is lightly used, but shows no marks or scratches. Extremely minimal signs of use may be visible. Packaged in original box with all manuals and accessories. 98% of original condition.
Excellent: Item is moderately used, but shows no scratches or dents. Small marks and minimal signs of use may be visible. Collectors would accept items in this condition. 95% of original condition.
Good: Item has seen substantial use, but shows no significant scratches or dents. Marks and signs of use may be visible as a result from wear-and-tear. 90% of original condition.
Fair: Item has seen substantial use and may have some scratches, but no significant dents. Marks and signs of use will be more abundant than typically. 80% of original condition.
Poor: Item has seen great use and may have have scratches, dents, and signs of use that are clearly visible. 70% of original condition.
Damaged: Item has seen extreme use, or has been handled poorly. Significant scratches, dents, dings, and signs of use are clearly visible OR the item is NOT in full working condition. 60% or less of original condition. Bargain price. Any lens with scratches on its front element, fungus, or fog will automatically fall in this category.

All conditions, save "Damaged," are assumed to retain the item's full working condition. If a lens is being sold, its glass is assumed to be in mint condition unless it is described as "Poor" or "Damaged".

(Subject to change)

Adam

07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam: First, thank you again for the work you do - this is a wonderful resource. Second - the Listing Form looks very good and complete. Having an orderly presentation of selling facts will, over time, build Marketplace credibility and trust (going beyond the social trust we have already developed).

Comments:
  • Would it be helpful to replace the open condition description box with a pull-down pick list of your condition descriptions, to control for made-up things such as "KEH BGN"?
  • Would it be helpful to make the condition descriptions (shown in your thread comment m#5) available by link or java mouseover?
  • Under Shipping, would it be helpful to add a link to major carrier websites, allowing the seller to list a ship-from locator (e.g. Zip Code) and item weight? That way the seller could quote a sale price, plus shipping and allow the buyer to calculate shipping costs.
    • Perhaps a Postal Delivery (ZIP) Code field next to the location field?
I think that's enough - maybe these would be good for version 1.5
07-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
All those suggestions look great, and it won't be a problem for me to implement them. I'll have to leave them for tomorrow night, though! Thanks for the input!

Adam

07-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All those suggestions look great, and it won't be a problem for me to implement them. I'll have to leave them for tomorrow night, though! Thanks for the input!
Heh, I guess I lied about the "tomorrow" part. I changed the textbox to a dropdown menu and added a link to the item condition key. I haven't added a list of shipping carriers, but I think it would actually be better to put it in the marketplace info thread, considering that users from all over the world use our site.

Adam

07-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I haven't added a list of shipping carriers, but I think it would actually be better to put it in the marketplace info thread, considering that users from all over the world use our site.
Adam: You are too good -

Not that I think that auction site is easy, but I agree with the poster on the example thread - shipping charges are the thorny issue and usually take three or four PM's, as well as responses to a number of buyer queries.

When a person responds to the thread "PM sent" and all that means is they are asking how much shipping is to (some foreign spot), other potential buyers are discouraged.

Oh well, I may add the link to my preferred shipper calculator in my text, I assume, along with the item weight and shipping from location.

One last suggestion - consider changing the heading "Item Being Sold" to "Item For Sale"
07-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yeah, most shipping details are discussed via PM, so the form should be limited to general information only when it comes to that.

Just took care of the phrasing issue. I think that tomorrow, I'll link the "New Thread" button to the form, and if users are selling multiple items, they can return to the regular editor by using the link provided at the top of the form.

Adam

07-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #11

Hi Adam,

great stuff. Just one comment: I would think about splititng "condition" into optical/mechanical or optical/cosmetic or something. A lens that's 70% on the outside but 90% on the inside is a very different proposition from one that's 90% on the outside and 70% on the inside, if you get my drift...

Steve
07-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work Adam!!! All looks good to me
07-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevo Quote
Hi Adam,

great stuff. Just one comment: I would think about splititng "condition" into optical/mechanical or optical/cosmetic or something. A lens that's 70% on the outside but 90% on the inside is a very different proposition from one that's 90% on the outside and 70% on the inside, if you get my drift...

Steve
Hi Steve,

While the condition key should apply to both cameras, lenses, and accessories, I've set it up so that if the lens is any less than mint optically, or if it has scratches that affect image quality, or fungus inside, it must automatically be placed in the 'Poor' or 'Damaged' category.

Thanks to everyone who tried out the form! I will probably put it into official use tonight. Keep in mind, however, that the form is ONLY for individul item sales. The old editor will still be available for everything else. In the distand future, however, there's a possiblity I will create separate forms for cameras, lenses, and accessories.

Adam

07-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Adam, Why not also add a line to the top of the form to remind sellers to check the "Wanted Items" listings before posting a new ad. Second maybe a sticky should be at the top of the Marketplace forum with the same reminder.
07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll add such a reminder to the form as well as to one of the current stickies. Thanks for the idea!

Adam

Closed Thread