Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
archive broken

I use the archive version of this forum for browsing on my Treo. Something changed recently, and the archive view works until I click on individual posts. Then it blows up to the full version of the page.

The archive link is at the bottom of every page: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/archive/

Oh, let me add my thanks and gratitude for your hard work!

07-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll need to click on the PDA link in the upper-right corner of the page to get the regular text version, I believe.

This isn't an error- the system is designed to show the full version of the thread for SEO purposes- it avoids duplicate content.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm planning to incorporate a mobile skin for the site that automatically kicks in when you log on using a PDA. My early attempts with that idea didn't go to well, but I'll post in the news forum if it does come about.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Okay, SEO makes perfect sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll need to click on the PDA link in the upper-right corner of the page to get the regular text version, I believe.
Do you have a URL for this? I can't seem to find a PDA link in the upper right.

Thanks Adam. I think I'm gonna donate today.
07-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sure thing- here's the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/archive/?pda=1

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sorry to be a pest, but that link has "/archive/" in the URL. the "?pda=1" gets stripped when visiting the URL.

In other words, it's the same as the "archive" link.

Adam, should I give up visiting on my Treo? I don't want you to break your back or radically futz with the site for this...

Luv you either way.

PS: do you think hiding the "Archive" link on all pages but turning on the archive version will hide it from the spiders? or a robots.txt?
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Once you visit the link, the archive should go into a PDA mode, even allowing you to log in. The PDA part then does get stripped from the URL, as is intended.

If that still doesn't allow you to view the text-only version of the site on your treo, then vBSEO must have removed even that feature (I recently upgraded from 3.1 to 3.2).

Speaking of SEO, the current setup should yield optimal search engine listings. Heck, a month after installing vBSEO, out traffic tripled (from 2,000 pageloads/day to 7,000 pageloads/day). Now, that was back in October 2006- today, traffic easily reaches 100,000 pageloads/day.

I'll have glance through the vBSEO settings to see if the full archive can be made accessible when users are logged in; I doubt such an option exists, though.

Adam

07-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Adam, it's the same. Even after I log in, when I look at a post, it expands to the full version.

That's very cool stuff about vBSEO.