Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why don't photos here look as good as they do on other blogs?

For a couple of years now, almost every day I visit this Pentax forum and the Fuji forum. Also, on occasion I have posted my photos on each forum.

Overall, the images I post on the fuji forum ( Portal | Fuji X Forum ) look better on my 27" NEC monitor than the images that I post on this Pentax forum do.

Also, I have noticed that overall, the images on the fuji forum look noticeably better then the images posted on this forum.

Having both camera systems, I do not believe that the images my Fuji X cameras take are any better than the images I take with my Pentax equipment. So, it's got to be something with the way the website itself messes with the images that people upload.

Have any of you noticed this? Is there anything that Pentax Forum can do to improve the quality of the images that are posted here?

10-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What you may be seeing is the effects of the browser resizing the images according to how big your browser window is.
10-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
What you may be seeing is the effects of the browser resizing the images according to how big your browser window is.
Can't be, I use the same browser for each forum.

Also, the effect is the same no matter what browser I use (Chome, Explorer, Firefox).
10-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Could it be that Pentax forum resizes extra large images for those that are attached?

That's why I use flickr, to embed the photos not insert an image or uploaded to my albums here. The last two are resized.

10-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Better how? Could just be a sharpening setting. Is it possible to upload the same thing to the two forums so we can see the difference?
10-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Could it be that Pentax forum resizes extra large images for those that are attached?

That's why I use flickr, to embed the photos not insert an image or uploaded to my albums here. The last two are resized.
I don't upload extra large images. The images that I upload here are the largest that you can upload without resizing.
10-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I don't upload extra large images. The images that I upload here are the largest that you can upload without resizing.
This can sometimes be the problem. If one of the two dimensions exceeds the maximum even by a pixel, the image will be scaled down and compressed.

To check if your files have been scaled, just look at the filesize in the EXIF. If it differs from the original filesize you uploaded, then you know the image has been scaled.

If you have a specific example of the issue, I'd be happy to take a look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This can sometimes be the problem. If one of the two dimensions exceeds the maximum even by a pixel, the image will be scaled down and compressed.

To check if your files have been scaled, just look at the filesize in the EXIF. If it differs from the original filesize you uploaded, then you know the image has been scaled.

If you have a specific example of the issue, I'd be happy to take a look.
I'm not talking about any single posting. My comments are based upon my critcal reviews of thousands of images on each website.

Adam, if resizing photos here lowers their quality so much, why not just disable this image resizing feature? Why require a Flickr workaround?

Don't most photographers who visit photo blogs and upload DSLR photos have large, high quality monitors for post processing their photos? If so, why limit the size of website images to small ones that don't showcase the true IQ of the photo? This is why I rarely look at K1 images posted here, because they don't look any better than K3 or K5 images posted here.

If it's a server storage issue, maybe delete all images over say 5 months old to free up storage space?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-02-2016 at 02:03 PM.
10-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something you might take a look at: In your user control panel, under edit options - 3rd box down (Thread Display Options), "maximum photo width". What value in pixels do you have in that box? Any photo posted exceeding that value will be resized to that value. It allows up to 2999 pixels. That could be the culprit.

Don't most photographers who visit photo blogs and upload DSLR photos have large, high quality monitors???
My monitor isn't as large or as high quality as I'd like, but it's serviceable enough.

FWIW, I see no difference in image quality between my images on Flickr, and the ones posted here, linked from Flickr.

Last edited by paulh; 10-02-2016 at 02:23 PM.
10-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't most photographers who visit photo blogs and upload DSLR photos have large, high quality monitors for post processing their photos?
Not really. Some are still using 19" monitors and or CRT monitors.

I believe the real reason for limiting images that aren't hosted else where could be due to bandwidth here.
10-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think dedicated photo hosting sites can always do a better job of displaying photos. We've been increasing image size limits over time, and in the future there will be nicer sharing features present on the forum. For now, things are set up so that uploading never fails (even if it's a huge file) and so that pages load fairly quickly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: