Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketplace access, "Large Quantities"

Hello, moderators!

I am thinking about making a donation to the site, to get a year of marketplace access to sell off the excess of my personal collection. I saw on the support options that you should buy the commercial access if you

* Sell commercially (I don't)
* Sell items for a profit (That has NEVER happened, I assure you)
* Sell "Large Quantities" of items

What constitutes a Large Quantity? Ten? A hundred? A thousand? I have a rather large list of things I want to unload, but it's not selling at a commercial level, I'm not wholesaling and I'm not profiteering.

10-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Hello, moderators!

I am thinking about making a donation to the site, to get a year of marketplace access to sell off the excess of my personal collection. I saw on the support options that you should buy the commercial access if you

* Sell commercially (I don't)
* Sell items for a profit (That has NEVER happened, I assure you)
* Sell "Large Quantities" of items

What constitutes a Large Quantity? Ten? A hundred? A thousand? I have a rather large list of things I want to unload, but it's not selling at a commercial level, I'm not wholesaling and I'm not profiteering.
The rule of thumb is if you're planning to sell more than 15 items per year of membership (i.e. > 105 in your case), you'd need reseller access. Otherwise, standard access will suffice. That's quite a few items, after all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The rule of thumb is if you're planning to sell more than 15 items per year of membership (i.e. > 105 in your case), you'd need reseller access. Otherwise, standard access will suffice. That's quite a few items, after all!
The exact quantity or rate should be stated in the guidelines, rather than an ambiguous wording like "Large Quantities."

I think I'll just be dropping my things on eBay. I'm not trying to make money, I'm trying to unclutter my life, and put this stuff somewhere besides a landfill.
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'll just be dropping my things on eBay. I'm not trying to make money, I'm trying to unclutter my life, and put this stuff somewhere besides a landfill.
Although you may or may not make any $ via eBay, dealing with eBay's buyers and pro-buyer policies will do the opposite of unclutter your life--they will give you a massive headache and make you wish you never bothered in the first place.

Sell your gear here. Us Pentax geeks will give it a good home; you'd be helping out our gracious host; AND you'll get far, far more $ for far less grief. My 2 cents.

10-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Although you may or may not make any $ via eBay, dealing with eBay's buyers and pro-buyer policies will do the opposite of unclutter your life--they will give you a massive headache and make you wish you never bothered in the first place.

Sell your gear here. Us Pentax geeks will give it a good home; you'd be helping out our gracious host; AND you'll get far, far more $ for far less grief. My 2 cents.
Having sold here and on eBay, I have to inform you that my experience runs counter to your advice. I have had good luck on the auction site, and stuff I list here just sits, and sits, and sits, until I basically give it away.

Complicate that by having a significant portion of the meager money I'd make going to a fee that's far larger than I'd pay on eBay as a seller, and I don't see where I'm left with much choice.

I love the site, and I participate in the forums daily. I am going to make a donation to the website anyway, so don't fret; I just don't want to deal with trying to sell here.
10-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Complicate that by having a significant portion of the meager money I'd make going to a fee that's far larger than I'd pay on eBay as a seller, and I don't see where I'm left with much choice.
Huh? You can get access to the marketplace for less than $20. Nobody is twisting your arm to sell here, but let's get the facts straight. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
10-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What fee are you talking about? I've sold here without a large fee! I don't consider giving money to the site to keep it running so I can continue to enjoy it, a "fee" to sell.

But, your choice, frankly I only buy "nickle/dime" items off of EBay; rather would support the members here.
10-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What fee are you talking about? I've sold here without a large fee! I don't consider giving money to the site to keep it running so I can continue to enjoy it, a "fee" to sell.

But, your choice, frankly I only buy "nickle/dime" items off of EBay; rather would support the members here.
$99 for 1 year of commercial marketplace access is a fee. The $20 donation that unlocks the standard market access is not.

I do buy from members here a lot, and have sold stuff here, too. But my last experience with a large lot of things to sell here wasn't a positive one. Not because of delinquent buyers or anything; because my stuff just sat here.

On eBay, the items move. On eBay, I only pay for their services if an item sells; they don't do listing fees anymore.

10-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam stated that you have up to 105 items to sell, before having to go "commercial". You must really have a lot of items.

Regardless, obviously your preference is EBay, so best of luck with your sales.
10-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The $20 donation that unlocks the standard market access is not.
Since you have "Pentaxian" status, you should already have standard Marketplace seller access. Am I wrong?
10-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #11
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Paul said.

Pentaxian status information for buying and selling without donating:

Buy & Sell
You must have one of these as your status:
1000+ Posts and 1+ years' membership and 15+ recent likes or
300+ posts and 2+ years' membership and 75+ recent likes

From: Need More Photo Space? Donation info / Account Comparison (Pentaxian/Site Supporter) - PentaxForums.com
10-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems to me you have multiple choices:
Sell (here) the 105 or so items that Adam mentioned with no expense, either pre or post sale.
Sell them on eBay and pay the fees on what sells.
or
I know this is a crazy idea, but list the items here AND on eBay.

See? Lots of choices.
10-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am really suprised to see people so upset about not getting to pick through my junk.

All right, you guys win.

I will likely donate, and post some of my more "Pentaxy" items here for those who are inclined to the small format stuff to have a chance at. But when the ad sits for more than a month, I'll be moving along.

I'm sorry for whatever offense I've caused.
10-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will likely donate
That's one thing we were trying to tell you. With your status, you don't have to donate to use the MarketPlace.

I will be interested to see what you've got for sale. I have LBA and GBA really bad.
10-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am really suprised to see people so upset about not getting to pick through my junk.

All right, you guys win.

I will likely donate, and post some of my more "Pentaxy" items here for those who are inclined to the small format stuff to have a chance at. But when the ad sits for more than a month, I'll be moving along.

I'm sorry for whatever offense I've caused.
Well, like others have pointed out, you essentially have free access up to the 105 item limit, so it wouldn't hurt to throw some listings up. I've generally had great success moving items through the Marketplace. Only a few niche accessories took several months to sell, but they all sold at the end!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: