Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Spam redirect?

Am I the only one getting a redirect most times when I log into Pentax Forum? I get a unsafe warning from McAfee. I don't get this from any other website.

Attached Images

10-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen that here but I am running Firefox 49.0.1 with the Adblock Plus plugin so I'm not sure if that's the reason as it does say it's blocking two items on this page (I'm just not sure what those two items are).
10-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Same Browser for me too Firefox 49.0.1
10-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your computer has something nasty on it.

10-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I get a unsafe warning from McAfee
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your computer has something nasty on it.
The above. McAfee is famous for false positives.
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Spam redirect?
Hi Larry. 2 questions, which windows are you running, and do you have the Microsoft firewall running with your MacAfee at the same time? If so, turn the Microsoft off. Having 2 anti-virus on can cause issues from memory. Good luck.
10-05-2016, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #7

Larry, you seem to have browser hijack malware on your Windows 10 computer. Use the built-in Edge browser to search for Malwarebytes website. It should direct you to https :// www. malwarebytes. com (I split this up so you would not click directly on this link - never do that if you are not sure of the safety of a link sent by a total stranger, always search for a site yourself). Ensure you have a good backup of your documents. Then download, install and run MBAM. It will find several issues, I am positive of this. Follow the instructions and do as it says. Reboot. Then run MBAM again.

Then use a search engine to find McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool, download and run that. McAfee did not help you here so no point in keeping it. Once McAfee is gone, ensure that the Windows Defender service is running, and ensure that the Windows firewall is running. They are sufficient to protect you from most things unless you have horrible browser habits (e.g. spending much more time watching what Kim Kardashian is up to rather than reading the Pentax Forum).

Neither of these protect you fully from malware if you are running your computer as an administrator, but that is another topic.
10-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The above. McAfee is famous for false positives.
He's definitely got a browser hijacker, Photolady.

10-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah that's definitely not something else, we don't run those kinds of things. Just banners.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: