Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto deduct for membership status

I was quite taken back when I got an e-mail this morning showing that $49 was deducted from my account for my membership status! I was under the impression I would be notified before any deductions were made! I keep minimal amount in my checking account connected to PayPal for security reasons; now I'm socked with a $30 overdraft fee for this auto deduction, of which I had no idea was coming! I don't even know when my yearly membership is up, so I can be a little prepared.

It would be nice to be notified first, before a deduction is made!

Last edited by csa; 11-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.
11-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch - sorry to hear this Carol. Auto-deduct? Something doesn't sound right there - are you not given an option NOT to renew if you choose?
11-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Paul, No, no option at all before the deduction. I'm sure I agreed to auto-deduct to maintain my "Loyal Site Supporter" status, but obviously was mistaken that I would be notified before this took place. It was quite a "Thanksgiving" shock, since I keep a very low balance in the checking acct tied to my PayPal, for security reasons.

I'll opt out of the auto-deduct for next time, and hopefully will get a notice when there's a "special" on the membership so I can then pay.
11-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I got that earlier today too, Carol...

@Adam - I could be wrong but I thought my last payment covered me for two years... Or maybe that was two years ago? Either way, like Carol, I got $49 dollars auto-deducted...

11-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mike, I think the "Loyal" is good only for a year. I wouldn't have minded so much the $49; but getting an additional $30 bank fee tacked on, really hit hard. I know it's my fault; but as I said I do not keep but a minimum amount in that checking acct that is tied to PayPal because of security reasons. Had I received a notification; I could have quickly transferred the funds from my main checking acct into this one.
11-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, I just checked & the "Loyal" is good for two years. I became a "Loyal" last year, so I should have another year???
11-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Mike, I think the "Loyal" is good only for a year. I wouldn't have minded so much the $49; but getting an additional $30 bank fee tacked on, really hit hard. I know it's my fault; but as I said I do not keep but a minimum amount in that checking acct that is tied to PayPal because of security reasons. Had I received a notification; I could have quickly transferred the funds from my main checking acct into this one.
Gotcha. I'm OK with mine - I was just a little surprised. Happy to make an annual donation as (like you and so many others) I make good use of the site and want to show my support... But I agree that some kind of advance notification would be prudent to avoid unfortunate situations like yours.

11-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm, I just checked & the "Loyal" is good for two years. I became a "Loyal" last year, so I should have another year???
Right, that's why I was confused too. I thought I paid for two years last year
11-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right, that's why I was confused too. I thought I paid for two years last year
Maybe Adam can clarify this for the "Loyals".
11-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same issue. I renewed my regular membership on November 12 of last year and then did the Black Friday Specail two weeks later. I thought I was good for two years as well.
11-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've e-mailed Adam to make him aware of the issue and this thread. I'm sure he'll get to us when he's available
11-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe Adam can clarify this for the "Loyals".
I can clarify this. Regular Loyal Site Supporter is $100 for two years. The Black Friday Specail is $50 annually.
11-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to User Control Panel, click 'Make a Donation' on the upper left. That calls your personal subscription terms.

Read the Terms for each Donation type. For instance, 'Black Friday' subscriptions get many 'Loyal' benefits, but are only for one year - AND THEY ARE RECURRING!.

I now know when I should resubscribe to retain my status and benefits.
11-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very confusing! (I can clarify this. Regular Loyal Site Supporter is $100 for two years. The Black Friday Specail is $50 annually)

Below, it states $150.

"If you would like to increase your quotas further, a second donation is available to you. If you choose to make such a donation, your account will be upgraded to "Loyal Site Supporter" status and remain upgraded for two years. For the second tier account you can choose to donate $150, $200, $250 or $300; it features the following improvements, in addition to those you already have as a Site Supporter:"
11-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AND THEY ARE RECURRING!
That's fine; however with a year passing, a notice would be nice. I'm not objecting to the cost at all; rather the surprise of the withdrawal.