Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Efficient viewing of photo threads

There are a number of long-running photo threads (Lens clubs, camera clubs) that have grown quite large and tedious to explore. For example, I want to look through the "Post your medium format photos" thread but there are currently 670 pages to click and scroll through.

Is there a way to see all of the photos contained or linked to in a thread in one page? I'm thinking along the lines of Google Image Search or Flickr Photostreams where you get a feed of thumbnails and can click on the ones that interest you.

Sorry if this has already been asked/suggested- I only did a cursory search.

12-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We could conceivably display the photos in a gallery format similar to what's available in the PYP forum.

Post Your Photos! Grid View - PentaxForums.com

Which sections do you think would benefit from it? All the clubs?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, that grid view is fantastic I think the default setting of displaying unseen images from the last 21 days is a sensible default, but for the club threads maybe it would be a nice feature (as an option) to sort by date and to remove the 21 day limit. I don't know, just kicking out ideas. But, yes, that view is perfect, IMO!

I'm not sure how to answer your question in a reasonable way, because honestly there are quite a lot of threads buried in all the camera and lens subforums which serve as photo threads. Maybe there could be an option when creating a thread to mark it as a "photo thread" or "gallery thread" or something along those lines... just a flag to let the forum software know that there should be a Grid View enabled on the thread.
12-03-2016, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've put up a beta gallery give of the lens club forum:
Lens Clubs Grid View - PentaxForums.com

It looks like there are quite a few photos there, even with the 21-day window.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looking good! I ran into cases where images don't exist anymore and just display a blank, but not often (see below).

12-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Looking good! I ran into cases where images don't exist anymore and just display a blank, but not often (see below).

Can you post a link to the post with the broken image? I thought I had a system that would detect these, but it's possible that flickr has changed the image.

Adam

12-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you post a link to the post with the broken image? I thought I had a system that would detect these, but it's possible that flickr has changed the image.
Here's one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/107938-sigma-8-16mm-club-53.html#post3825189

12-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've put up a beta gallery give of the lens club forum:
How do you access that view from the Lens Clubs' index page?
12-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll add a link just like we have in the PYP section once we're sure the gallery is working well.

I've improved the image linking and also ensured that those broken flickr images won't show up. Let me know if you guys run in to any other issues!

Adam

12-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was going good for the first few pages but I ran into some more broken images. These are just the first two that came up (part of the same multi-image post).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/334113-nature-10-andes.html?src=tiles

12-06-2016, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
excellent idea, even though I am a regular on the forum I didn't realise how many images I was missing
12-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
It was going good for the first few pages but I ran into some more broken images. These are just the first two that came up (part of the same multi-image post).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/334113-nature-10-andes.html?src=tiles
You had my scratching my head for a while, then I realized this was a screenshot of the post your photos gallery (I had only deployed the dead flickr checker in the new club gallery). It should now be live on both pages

Adam

12-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You had my scratching my head for a while, then I realized this was a screenshot of the post your photos gallery (I had only deployed the dead flickr checker in the new club gallery). It should now be live on both pages
D'oh... sorry!
12-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And thanks!!