Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Forum not working on Tapatalk

As the title says the forum seems to have stopped working properly on Tapatalk. No new posts are showing. I logged out and now get a network error when trying to log in.

01-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Same here!
01-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should now be fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This should now be fixed.
Tapatalk is still not working for me.

I get a "Failed to connect to forum..." message and the "Loading..." message keeps spinning indefinitely.

Other forums work fine, so it's not my Tapatalk app or network playing up.

01-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Tapatalk is still not working for me.

I get a "Failed to connect to forum..." message and the "Loading..." message keeps spinning indefinitely.

Other forums work fine, so it's not my Tapatalk app or network playing up.
You may need to clear the app's cache, in case it's trying to connect to the non-secure version of the site.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You may need to clear the app's cache, in case it's trying to connect to the non-secure version of the site.
I have tried that but it did not help.

I then removed the forum from the list of forums within Tapatalk and added it again. I still get the same error.

What else can I try?

Is there a chance to get a non-secure connection via Tapatalk again?
Not sure why a secure connection is required in the first place.

I really, really depend on Tapatalk to follow what is going on on forums. I can't see myself migrating to using a web browser, independently of whether or not I'd be using the mobile or the full version.
01-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have tried that but it did not help.

I then removed the forum from the list of forums within Tapatalk and added it again. I still get the same error.

What else can I try?

Is there a chance to get a non-secure connection via Tapatalk again?
Not sure why a secure connection is required in the first place.

I really, really depend on Tapatalk to follow what is going on on forums. I can't see myself migrating to using a web browser, independently of whether or not I'd be using the mobile or the full version.
I can confirm that tapatalk is working on my end, so don't worry- you should be able to get it to work as well.

If you're andriod using go to system settings -> apps -> tapatalk. There may be a "clear cache" button there. If not, look for "storage" on that page and it might be under there.

If this still doesn't help, look for "clear data" on that same page. This will force you to log in to your tapatalk account again and should definitely do the trick.

iOS has a similar page in the system settings.

Adam

01-30-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can confirm that tapatalk is working on my end, so don't worry- you should be able to get it to work as well.
Thanks, Adam.

Unfortunately, the answer is "yes" and "no".

The reason why neither a cache clearance nor clearing the user data helped was that my tapatalk app version apparently is too old to work with the new system you put in place. The problem is, I have been using this older tapatalk version on purpose. It is still working fine with all the other forums I'm using, but stopped working with pentaxforums.com.

For testing purposes, I upgraded the tapatalk app to the latest version on a different phone I'm no longer using. Once I do that, I can connect to pentaxforums.com via tapatalk again. However, I won't upgrade my tapatalk app on my real phone because later tapatalk app versions became just terrible in the amount of adverts they constantly display. I think the UI got worse as well (less clean) but the adverts are just unacceptable for me.

I have little hope you'll be able to get a compatibility mode going for older versions of tapatalk, so I guess I'll become a less frequent forum reader from now on. There is no way I'll ever "upgrade" my current tapatalk app to one of the newer ones that have an overladen UI and spam one with adverts. I'll continue to use my old version with the other forums as long as they will work.

01-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I actually updated the tapatalk plugin earlier today thinking that might solve your issue...how ironic! But it wasn't a major upgrade, so it's more likely that the old app simply doesn't support SSL.

I have just disabled ads on my end; I'm not sure if Tapatalk forces more ads upon users or not, but please do check if that improves the display at all.

If not, then as a last resort I would post about your issue on the tapatalk forums. They will probably just tell you to upgrade the app, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Remember we also have a mobile site, and it works pretty well. That would be another alternative.

Adam

01-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I actually updated the tapatalk plugin earlier today thinking that might solve your issue...how ironic! But it wasn't a major upgrade, so it's more likely that the old app simply doesn't support SSL.

I have just disabled ads on my end; I'm not sure if Tapatalk forces more ads upon users or not, but please do check if that improves the display at all.

If not, then as a last resort I would post about your issue on the tapatalk forums. They will probably just tell you to upgrade the app, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Remember we also have a mobile site, and it works pretty well. That would be another alternative.
How do you disable ads?

01-30-2017, 02:41 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
How do you disable ads?
Ads are currently disabled for all premium user groups (Pentaxians, site supporters, marketplace sellers, loyal site supporters) and active for other usergroups.

Adam

01-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

so it's more likely that the old app simply doesn't support SSL.
Yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case. I wish it weren't necessary to use SSL via tapatalk.

I'm not sure if Tapatalk forces more ads upon users or not, but please do check if that improves the display at all.
Thanks for removing the ads from your end, but indeed tapatalk adds ("suggested") ads of its own. You can opt out of the ads by paying money (subscription or one time payment). I won't pay tapatalk as I don't want to support an approach in which people are sucked into an an approach (using a well-suited forum browser) only to be milked once they got used to the comfort.

Remember we also have a mobile site, and it works pretty well.
Yes, thanks but I mentioned earlier that neither the mobile nor the full site work work nearly as well for me as tapatalk had been working. Too bad that my days of tapatalk browsing pentaxforums seem to be over.
01-30-2017, 03:50 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for removing the ads from your end, but indeed tapatalk adds ("suggested") ads of its own. You can opt out of the ads by paying money (subscription or one time payment). I won't pay tapatalk as I don't want to support an approach in which people are sucked into an an approach (using a well-suited forum browser) only to be milked once they got used to the comfort.
Looking at the code it's actually scary if you're not running SSL...I feel bad for not making the move earlier.

I'd still ask their support team just in case, though in the long run I'd expect more and more sites to start breaking as the industry puts pressure on site owners to switch to SSL.

Adam

01-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

I use Avast Safe Zone Browser...wonderful!I had to log in today for the first time in ages, which was sort of a small hassle but not a big pain. It seems a little overkill but not prohibitive. If it will keep out all the renegade squirrels that run amok here, I'm all for it! I bet others see the value in that too!

Regards!
01-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was having problems with Tapatalk over the weekend, but it is working for me now.