Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somethin' Ain't Right Here!

Since PF went "secure" I have had a couple of persistent problems that have inhibited my visiting and posting pleasure.

*First...I have to sign in again every time I leave the Forum. I used to stay signed in forever and could open up, grab my coffee and a little snack and immediately get started on my surfing pleasure here...or begin typing my "most valuable" contributions for the good of others...or even all of mankind! Now I have to sign in and enter my password every time I leave the site? Why is that?

*Second...and this is so frustrating....... and yesterday made me curse like a drunken sailor three times. It caused a family crisis last night when Mrs Rupert asked me to move out to my shop with my computer if I couldn't control my foul and vile mouth....and worst of all she demanded an apology.....I just hate that!

What happens is that if I am typing a long response...or perhaps a famous "Rupert Story" of some length and have to go idle for a few minutes (like go get the biscuits out of the oven!) and finish my post, hit review to make certain it is correct and contains no accidental foul language or grammatical mistakes of major proportion......it goes straight to the Log In Page and my post I worked so hard on (for the good of mankind!) is gone! GONE! I can't get it back and have to log in again just to get back on the Forum. Then that foul language follows, Mrs Rupert gets all rattled and angry and my frustration raises my blood pressure.......furry critters gather outside my office windows and place bets on how long I can stay red faced before I kill over dead....some even cheering me on...and it takes a shot of Cognac to get me back to half normal.....and I'm not a drinker....but drank damn near a pint yesterday out of sheer frustration!

Can you help me...Please!

Best Regards!

02-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Since PF went "secure" I have had a couple of persistent problems that have inhibited my visiting and posting pleasure.

*First...I have to sign in again every time I leave the Forum. I used to stay signed in forever and could open up, grab my coffee and a little snack and immediately get started on my surfing pleasure here...or begin typing my "most valuable" contributions for the good of others...or even all of mankind! Now I have to sign in and enter my password every time I leave the site? Why is that?

*Second...and this is so frustrating....... and yesterday made me curse like a drunken sailor three times. It caused a family crisis last night when Mrs Rupert asked me to move out to my shop with my computer if I couldn't control my foul and vile mouth....and worst of all she demanded an apology.....I just hate that!

What happens is that if I am typing a long response...or perhaps a famous "Rupert Story" of some length and have to go idle for a few minutes (like go get the biscuits out of the oven!) and finish my post, hit review to make certain it is correct and contains no accidental foul language or grammatical mistakes of major proportion......it goes straight to the Log In Page and my post I worked so hard on (for the good of mankind!) is gone! GONE! I can't get it back and have to log in again just to get back on the Forum. Then that foul language follows, Mrs Rupert gets all rattled and angry and my frustration raises my blood pressure.......furry critters gather outside my office windows and place bets on how long I can stay red faced before I kill over dead....some even cheering me on...and it takes a shot of Cognac to get me back to half normal.....and I'm not a drinker....but drank damn near a pint yesterday out of sheer frustration!

Can you help me...Please!

Best Regards!
my advice - switch to single malt scotch whisky other than that bit of advice I got nothing
02-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to sign in again every time I leave the Forum.
I had that after the weekend, , and it was cured by clearing history, cache, and cookies in the browser ( Firefox) .
Try that.
02-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Either restarting my browser, or more likely a forced reboot of my computer cured the need to log in each time issue.

02-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Force reload the page (Ctrl+F5) and when you log in make sure you check the Remember Me box. That should fix it.
02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Using Safari. Logged out (that cleared cookies) then logged back in. All fixed. Give Mrs. Rupert an extra hug or expensive jewelry and that should fix that problem tool
02-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try that advice...thanks! I'll start with the single malt whiskey first....I'm not really a drinker, but that sounds like solid advice.
Mrs Rupert will get over it....after almost 51 yearsshe has a ton of experience at "getting over it!"

Regards! & Thanks!

02-01-2017, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #8

I had the same problem in Firefox on three systems (XP, Win7, Win10). These actions seemed to solve the problem. It took several tries and either a combination or sequence of them eventually cleared the problem. Taken individually did not seem to solve the problem.
  1. log out from PF
  2. Delete site cookies - Options->privacy->show cookies - search pentaxforums - select and remove all related cookies
  3. delete saved logins for the site - Tools->Options->Security->Saved Logins - search for Pentaxforums and select and delete
  4. Clear the cache - ctrl-R or History->Clear Recent History (ctrl-shift-del)
  5. close Firefox - Open Firefox - go to pentaxforums - login check save/remember - confirm saving password/login in Firefox.
You might have to repeat the last sequence (5) once but it should hold after that.
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

in addition to the single malt whisky, watch out for squirrels offering you peanut butter - might be laced! (would Mrs. Rupert rally the squirrels? Dunno, but sounds like precarious times)

Until you've gotten it all under wraps, if you've got a long post ready to go, with the cursor in the post, press the Control and A (ctrl A) keys together. That should select all you have written. Then do Control and C (ctrl c) together, and that should copy it all. Then, if you get prompted for a login and it blows your post away, go to compose it again, and do a control and V (ctrl V) together, and that should past it all back. Give it a try on something short first, and of note, you could paste that text into something like notepad as a holding spot if you want to do some testing/have another place to fall back to if the re-login prompt comes back. Let me know if this doesn't make sense....

Last edited by clickclick; 02-01-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wrong spirit
02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just log in on that page and your post will be submitted.

Clear your cookies and cache the log in again, and you will be remembered once again

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
and you will be remembered once again
I did and it seems to be working now.....thanks! Nice to be remembered! That single malt whiskey idea is not bad either.....

Regards!
02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I did and it seems to be working now.....thanks! Nice to be remembered! That single malt whiskey idea is not bad either.....

Regards!
remember that the Scots spell whisky without the e

since they created it, and I was talking about Single Malt SCOTCH whisky I think they should know how to spell whisky correctly

Whiskey vs. whisky

The difference between whiskey and whisky is simple but important: whisky usually denotes Scotch whisky and Scotch-inspired liquors, and whiskey denotes the Irish and American liquors.

The word itself (both spellings) is of Celtic origin, and modern whisky/whiskey distillation practices originated in Ireland and Scotland. Using whiskey to refer to Scotch whisky can get you in trouble in Scotland.

Whiskey vs. whisky - Grammarist
02-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Using whiskey to refer to Scotch whisky can get you in trouble in Scotland.
Well, if I do drink liquor at all it is Cognac...I love it but only rarely drink. I think Cognac would get me in trouble in Scotland too!

I keep a bottle handy, the world's best steak sauce can be made with a little flaming Cognac. Even my Mom, who detests any kind of liquor craves my Cognac steak sauce! Real butter, finely chopped shallots, real cream, Cognac, fresh ground black pepper...and you are on your way! ....don't count the calories!

Regards!
02-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
since they created it, and I was talking about Single Malt SCOTCH whisky I think they should know how to spell whisky correctly
I'm truly glad that someone has been paying attention in the right classes.
02-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two days ago the site was logging me out every minute, I saw a thread about it, it was happening to everyone. I refreshed (didn't even clean out cookies) and it was fine. I stay logged in like I used to again. They fixed something to make it work like it used to

Here's that thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/338515-question-...ml#post3899290

I just now read in another thread that if you log out and back in once you'll be free of the logout timeout problem.

Last edited by jack002; 02-01-2017 at 02:13 PM.