Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Likes Given

I've been curious for quite some time on how many likes I've given to other people. I'm pretty sure I am on the side of giving more than I receive and that is my goal.

It would also be interesting to see how many likes others give compared to the number they receive. I willing to bet that Stu (smh) is one of the leaders in likes given compared to likes received.

Tim

02-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's funny... I was just about to post a thread like this...
Though I think I have more likes than I give - be nice to see to make it a goal to give as many as I get...
02-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you go into "my activity" (well your activity) next to "my account" at the top of the page, you can see "posts I like" and "my liked posts" then count them. Helps not to have many "liked" posts.
02-23-2017, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
If you go into "my activity" (well your activity) next to "my account" at the top of the page, you can see "posts I like" and "my liked posts" then count them. Helps not to have many "liked" posts.
You could... but it only shows the last three hundred likes.

02-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You could... but it only shows the last three hundred likes.

Sorry, didn't realise there was a cut off (not a problem for me!).
All I can suggest is that you look at the time periods, assume you have posted likes and received likes at the same rate from the start and extrapolate. It works for governments and other institutions when they want to make a point........but I realise that there is no really valid argument for believing it.

02-23-2017, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I do a lot of Likin' because I like a lot of stuff I see here. Some for IQ, some for content other than photos, and some because the poster is a good contributor to this place. I just gave Bert one because after years of hating bacon, he finally converted to bacon loving and became a bacon addict like most of us!

I get a lot of Likes at times...but so far all but two are really for the squirrels and not me....and one of those for me was a mistaken click, I was told.

Like someone...or something...it will make you feel better!

Regards!
02-24-2017, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Very true.

Tim

02-24-2017, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do a lot of Likin' because I like a lot of stuff I see here. Some for IQ, some for content other than photos, and some because the poster is a good contributor to this place. I just gave Bert one because after years of hating bacon, he finally converted to bacon loving and became a bacon addict like most of us!

I get a lot of Likes at times...but so far all but two are really for the squirrels and not me....and one of those for me was a mistaken click, I was told.

Regards!

I used to like bacon but here in England it seems to be full of water as often as not and my better half does not like frying it....apparently not good for me!
I used to have squirrel sightings every day until the drey in the tree in the back garden of the house behind mine was removed to allow a builder to erect some houses in that garden.
I don't miss the pots having been "squirreled" or the holes in my garden and lawn but I do miss seeing them. I only get a rare sight of one nowadays.
I would like to feel better about this so will "like" your post and see if it works.
Thank you.
02-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to like bacon but here in England it seems to be full of water as often as not and my better half does not like frying it....apparently not good for me!
I used to have squirrel sightings every day until the drey in the tree in the back garden of the house behind mine was removed to allow a builder to erect some houses in that garden.
I don't miss the pots having been "squirreled" or the holes in my garden and lawn but I do miss seeing them. I only get a rare sight of one nowadays.
I would like to feel better about this so will "like" your post and see if it works.
Thank you.
Sorry about your bacon...here in Texas we have the most superb bacon, just delicious and no water! My favorite is Maple or Mesquite smoked.
I also buy a lot of this at Aldis....$2.99 a package of 15 slices, nice flat slices that are already fully cooked and ready to eat...can heat 6 slices in the microwave in 15 seconds, and they are low fat, no sugar and low calorie too! Best of all...they are delicious!
Name:  DSCF0638-800.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  408.9 KB

Also sorry about your loss of squirrel territory.......they are a ton of fun to watch. I have thousands around here in the Woods of Otis......I could send you a big box full? They love to travel, but you'd better feed them well or they will go loco and destroy everything in sight!

So how did it work.....do you feel better now? I sure do, thanks for the "Like" and the reply!

Best Regards!
Rupert

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Originally posted by Rupert
Very true.

Tim
Otis appreciates those that support the Forum and fellow Pentaxians....and just donated to make you an Official Site Supporter, with all the included benefits! Congratulations! Thank Otis......I just do what he tells me to do...mostly that is good...sometines it is not...like when I get banned for bad things he advises me to say or do.

Best Regards!
02-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
and just donated to make you an Official Site Supporter
That was totally unnecessary. A very kind gesture on your part.

Tim
02-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
That was totally unnecessary. A very kind gesture on your part.

Tim
Oh, when Otis give an order, it is damn necessary to obey it! I have learned the hard way far too many times! ...Thank Otis, he runs the show around here!

Regards & enjoy!
02-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I absolutely refuse to have goals when it comes to likes. Given or received.

OK, I admit it, I was interested to see my 5000th liked post... but since then I've pretty much forgotten them. My interest is in folks seeing my images. When I cross post in three different threads and get likes in all three, it reinforces, many people only visit a few threads on a regular basis. I'm convinced there are many people who are more "likeable" than I am, who simply post an image somewhere and don't cross post in all relevant threads. So in this instance, I have more likes, not because my images are better, but because I religiously cross post in all relevant threads.

There are people on the forum who if you give them a like, they give you one back, for no particular reason. I tend to think like a teacher. I give likes to images I'd hold up in front of the class as examples of someone who nailed an assignment. But all these things are completely un-interpretable. Likes are given for all kinds of different reasons. Because I usually cross post, I often get likes months after an image is posted from someone new to the site who is just reading through a thread they are interested in. Whether or not I give as many as I get, I don't keep track of, but I probably get way more than I give. But for me, that's not an issue. Or something I even care about. What I care about is that if I do give someone a like, it's because they did something inspirational. I'd hate to dilute the meaning of those likes by adhering to some kind of formula of likes given to likes recieved.

I also refused to bell curve my students marks, if I had a class where 5 students out of 20 deserved an A, then 5 students got an A. I'm not going to bell curve 3 of them down to a B.

But I have gotten comments from folks who thought they deserved more likes, or thought I was too tough handing them out. And I also got comments from students who felt they should have higher marks.That's the environment I came from... others come from different environments.

What I find interesting on the site, are the guys who have more likes than posts or a high like to post ratio. Those guy are to my mind clearly the guru's of the site. They have high standards, and they maintain them year after year. They are the snipers. Guys like me are machine gun operators. If you fire enough bullets, you'll get a few hits.

My take is, if you see something your find inspiring, "like" it. Don't make it a social thing. But that's just me.

Last edited by normhead; 02-24-2017 at 09:12 AM.
02-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also sorry about your loss of squirrel territory.......they are a ton of fun to watch. I have thousands around here in the Woods of Otis......I could send you a big box full? They love to travel, but you'd better feed them well or they will go loco and destroy everything in sight! So how did it work.....do you feel better now? I sure do, thanks for the "Like" and the reply!

Thanks for the bacon image, I have never seen pre-cooked bacon over here but am doing the food shopping tomorrow so will have a look.
The back gardens round my way don't have the habitat for squirrels, the one I do feed (well I put his or her food in the bird feeder) may come from a little park about a 1/4 mile away. What I do have is at least 5 cats coming into the garden from the new development to do their toilet.
I don't know if it was liking your post or picking up a (looks like it's working) Praktica IV F with Meritar 50mm F2.9 lens and mostly excellent condition leather case today. Either way I'm feeling good.
02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm convinced there are many people who are more "likeable" than I am,
Who wouldn't love old grouchy Norm? Billions of squirrels love you...what more could you ask for?

but because I religiously cross post in all relevant threads.
Me too, it just makes good sense when you are in many different places here and have many different friends in those places that don't view in all the same places you do. Squirrels call it Big Brain thinking and even have an Award for it...maybe we will get one Norm, you think?

If you fire enough bullets, you'll get a few hits.
Or if you post enough squirrels! All my likes are really for the squirrels.....which is OK with me if it makes them happy!

I don't know if it was liking your post or picking up a (looks like it's working) Praktica IV F with Meritar 50mm F2.9 lens and mostly excellent condition leather case today. Either way I'm feeling good.
Well, it didn't hurt, did it!

Regards!
02-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I absolutely refuse to have goals when it comes to likes. Given or received.
I don't have a goal for likes but I do keep an eye on them.

There are people on the forum who if you give them a like, they give you one back, for no particular reason.
I try to give one back if I find something in their posting history to like. I only participate in about 3 threads right now and every once in awhile I'll get a like from someone new to me. I'll then look at their posting history to see which threads have an image or subject I might find of interest.

Basically, I like giving likes. Often more so for encouragement or recognition (post more like this, wow - wish I had taken that, welcome to a newbie, thanks for helping someone out with their question).

Likes in themselves have no worth. There is no site wide standard to giving a like. I just thought it would be interesting to see a running total of likes given next to the total of likes received on my profile page.

Tim