Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 03:21 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heads-up: PentaxForums.com is moving to a new server soon

The server currently powering PF is now almost 7 years old, and it's running certain software versions that are simply too old to continue being updated.

In order to deliver faster site performance, less downtime (i.e. through backups that don't slow down the forum), and continued security, we will be migrating to a brand new server in the very near future. The destination server has already been provisioned and is considerably more powerful than our existing server, with redundant SSD drives and 64Gb of memory.

There are three potential windows for the migration (periods during which our site traffic is at its lowest):
  • Friday, March 3rd starting at midnight US central time
  • Saturday, March 4th starting at midnight US central time
  • Friday, March 10th starting at midnight US central time
I will be working hard to automate the migration process and have as little downtime as possible, but there will inevitably be some downtime as data is transferred and DNS records propagate. Once the migration starts, the forum will be put in read-only mode, and no new posts will be accepted on the old site. At some point thereafter, you'll be able to access the site on the new server, and posts will once again start being accepted.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll post more information once I know which migration date is chosen.

I'd like to thank everyone who's recently donated- your donations help make this process smoother, and are allowing us to finally migrate to a new platform.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck with the server migration, Adam
03-01-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, thank you for keeping this site the very best for all of us photography fans!
03-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

Am I the only one who initially red "Pentax forums is moving to a new sensor"? :-)

Good luck Adam!

03-01-2017, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

It is all Greek to me

In Adam we trust

Thank you Adam
03-01-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With years of enjoying this excellent website, I hope the new server will continue to "serve" us as well as the old one always did.
Thanks for the info!
03-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads-up, Adam -- much appreciated -- and good luck with the migration.

03-02-2017, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #8

DNS propagation

Adam:

For the A (address) records, if you lower the time to live number (in seconds) to about 30 minutes a few days before the move your DNS will propagate faster.
03-02-2017, 02:29 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
Adam:

For the A (address) records, if you lower the time to live number (in seconds) to about 30 minutes a few days before the move your DNS will propagate faster.
Already done! I tested this by migrating NikonForums.com just hours ago, and it was almost seamless. Thanks for the tip, though.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2017, 03:38 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Already done! I tested this by migrating NikonForums.com just hours ago, and it was almost seamless. Thanks for the tip, though.
Glad to see you tested on the "other brand" first, Adam
03-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Glad to see you tested on the "other brand" first, Adam
yeah, let "them" be the guinea pigs

word choice - Why is "guinea pig" used as the colloquial term for test subjects? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
03-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Now I thought it was because they were tail-less, hence only costing a guinea (or £1 1s in real money). Had they had tails, the price would have increased to at least thirty bob, thus making them economically less attractive.
03-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
FYI guys, we're looking to complete the transfer tonight. It should be fairly seamless, with only a few minutes of site closure on top of however long the DNS takes to propagate.

Adam

03-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
smf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FYI guys, we're looking to complete the transfer tonight. It should be fairly seamless, with only a few minutes of site closure on top of however long the DNS takes to propagate.
Thanks for the information, and best wishes.
03-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm getting more nervous as midnight approaches....so I am taking screenshots of as many pages as I can so I can look at them at midnight and think I am still here! Others might want to do the same if they have a PF addiction....heck, it will work for me, I'm not hard to fool!

Regards!