Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
I think for now I will use the Gallery since they dont resize there and I can link directly into the forum, but will research Flickr's setup. Thanks again
I could post a full size image here from flickr and as I said flickr doesn't resize photos either but some people are still using dialup for internet and them trying to see a full size image and can't because it takes too long to upload on their computer, I prefer to use flickr and give them a reasonable sized photo. Like below:

03-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I could post a full size image here from flickr and as I said flickr doesn't resize photos either but some people are still using dialup for internet and them trying to see a full size image and can't because it takes too long to upload on their computer, I prefer to use flickr and give them a reasonable sized photo. Like below:
i see, and then once redirected to Flickr they can also browse whatever images you have. I will set up an account tonight perhaps and try it out Thanks
03-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
i see, and then once redirected to Flickr they can also browse whatever images you have. I will set up an account tonight perhaps and try it out Thanks
That's correct. They can look all they want but with my privacy settings in place only I can download them. If anyone tries to download one of my photos they get a message that it's not allowed.
03-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They can look all they want but with my privacy settings in place only I can download them. If anyone tries to download one of my photos they get a message that it's not allowed.
I think they've actually changed how this works from past years. In Chrome right clicking on an image still lets me "Save As" an html file which handily includes the source images in a little folder, so if you've made a given resolution available to view, people can download the original.

In any case, it was never difficult to circumnavigate the 'right click' protection. This isn't saying you shouldn't use it with flickr (I have it on) or sites that offer it, but it would be analogous to locking the doors on your convertible car but leaving the top down, it's really not much protection except against ultra-lazy thieves.

03-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
In Chrome right clicking on an image still lets me "Save As" an html file which handily includes the source images in a little folder, so if you've made a given resolution available to view, people can download the original.
I was talking about flickr not chrome.

My grand daughter said she could not get my photos that any thing she tried on conventional ways, wasn't possible either right clicking or downloading because both ways were disabled in flickr.
03-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I was talking about flickr not chrome.
I was also talking about flickr and what happens when I right click on one of your images when browsing with chrome, I guess that wasn't clear. Other browsers may vary, but will also likely have easy ways to defeat flickr's 'disable downloads' feature.
03-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was also talking about flickr and what happens when I right click on one of your images when browsing with chrome, I guess that wasn't clear. Other browsers may vary, but will also likely have easy ways to defeat flickr's 'disable downloads' feature.
Ok, I haven't tried it in chrome mainly because I only use FireFox for flickr and this site. Chrome is only used for testing purposes.

03-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ok, I haven't tried it in chrome mainly because I only use FireFox for flickr and this site. Chrome is only used for testing purposes.
Same result with Firefox and flickr, I can right click your image and save the page. I did think it used to give a warning in firefox as well when right clicking a 'downloads disabled' image in flickr. It was always easy to circumvent it with via the 'inspect page' tools, but I think it's even easier now.

Edit- The microsoft "edge" browser seems to block the 'right click' with your flickr image, but the developer tools still make it easy to go around.

Last edited by BrianR; 03-24-2017 at 02:22 PM.
03-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I went to Chrome and sure enough I could right click and save image as. Good thing I don't put my saleable photos in Flickr.
03-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can right click your image and save the page.
I did that, but when I tried to open the page all I get is a blank screen. Did you try this on your own photos, not mine.
03-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I did that, but when I tried to open the page all I get is a blank screen. Did you try this on your own photos, not mine.
Yours. I've no idea why you wouldn't be able to open the local copy of the webpage. When you save a webpage, it will drop an .html file as well as a folder with a bunch of assorted files in it. The folder will hold all the jpegs on the page, you should be able to access them directly through the folder.
03-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well thanks for being honest about downloading my copyrighted photos. But can we stop discussing this now. I would just as soon not everyone see this post and start downloading other photographers copyrighted photos plus mine as well. I know on the web nothing is safe but why advertise it.
03-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Made me click on your Flickr (but not download any), you've got some really nice photos there @photolady95;
03-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Made me click on your Flickr (but not download any), you've got some really nice photos there @photolady95;
Thanks Bert!
03-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Well thanks for being honest about downloading my copyrighted photos. But can we stop discussing this now. I would just as soon not everyone see this post and start downloading other photographers copyrighted photos plus mine as well. I know on the web nothing is safe but why advertise it.
Oh for goodness sake. Outside of understanding just how easy it is to do, I have absolutely zero interest in downloading and stealing your copyrighted photos or anyone else's. You had mentioned the disabling downloading on flickr to someone who was planning on signing up to flickr. I was just pointing out that it's really no protection.

And yes, I do see a point in advertising this. It should be shouted from the rooftops to all people who plan to upload their images to the web. Everyone should understand just how easy it is to download images you make available for others to view (the downloading part is a behind the scenes requirement for people to even view your image!). Anyone in the habit of systematically pinching other peoples images for nefarious purposes will already be aware of this. But it's been obvious to me over the years that many photographers aren't that web savvy and need to be more aware of how these things work.