Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Searching items for sale in the Marketplace

I've been struggling the last few weeks to get good search results in the Marketplace. When I go to PentaxForums.com > The Photographer's Marketplace > Photographic Equipment for Sale, and click on the red header bar's "Search this Forum" link and then type in a search term and hit "Go", the results list contains all forum search hits; it's not just limiting the results to the "Photographic Equipment for Sale" area. I've also tried the advanced search option and highlighted the "Photographic Equipment for Sale" option in the "Search in Forum(s)" area, but get the same results.

I used to search for items this way earlier this year and it always worked fine. I noticed this change a few months ago. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

05-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sglime Quote
I've been struggling the last few weeks to get good search results in the Marketplace. When I go to PentaxForums.com > The Photographer's Marketplace > Photographic Equipment for Sale, and click on the red header bar's "Search this Forum" link and then type in a search term and hit "Go", the results list contains all forum search hits; it's not just limiting the results to the "Photographic Equipment for Sale" area. I've also tried the advanced search option and highlighted the "Photographic Equipment for Sale" option in the "Search in Forum(s)" area, but get the same results.

I used to search for items this way earlier this year and it always worked fine. I noticed this change a few months ago. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Workaround: Use Advanced Search and select the For Sale Forum . . .
05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see that filter there. I did try it but am getting the same results; every post in every forum for my search criteria regardless of forum filters chosen. The only workaround that I've found is to append "For Sale" to my search term. This works, but also shows items that have been sold. Anyway, it seems, at least for me, that something is amiss with the search filtering functionality on the site.
05-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Weird. In the For Sale forum, Search This Forum, I typed Nikon in the simple search box, Thread Titles Only and had 4 returns, all with Nikon in the thread title.

05-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The advanced search function should do the trick for you.
Attached Images

05-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks!
Are you searching for something that the internal search system can't handle? Since we switched servers, 1-word keywords are no longer indexed and will redirect you to a google or tag search. Similarly, many symbols are also no longer indexed.

If you're looking for anyvsych keywords, add them to your watch list and you'll receive an email when there are new threads that match.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've been looking for a backup body, so I've been searching for "K-3 II", "K-5", or "Pentax K-50" as search terms. I've added some screenshots of my search criteria and the results I've been getting. Not a huge deal, as a search phrase like "For Sale K-3 II" gives better results (the only problem is that sold items also appear, but they are usually listed at the end of the search results due to the posting date). But I thought I'd bring it to your attention if this wasn't intended filtering behavior. Thanks everyone.

Attached Images

05-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You're being redirected to a tag search because our new forum search system can't index hyphens. Sorry about that!

I'll look for workarounds one more time, but last time I checked this would require some downtime, unfortunately.

The email notifier should be able to handle that search phrase, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
That makes sense to me. Thanks for verifying the cause Adam. Pesky hyphens and Pentax camera naming conventions...
05-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That makes sense to me. Thanks for verifying the cause Adam. Pesky hyphens and Pentax camera naming conventions...
Actually, try this link, might work:

k-3 ii - Search Results - PentaxForums.com