Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that preference affects your future subscriptions. For existing subscriptions, you'll need to use the checkboxes to update the notification type:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/subscription.php

Fine, but for my current subscriptions, some say "none" next to the box to check, others say "daily" and yet others say "instant." At the present time I get EMAIL notification for all of them. If I check "none" on those that say "none" I will stop getting EMAIL notifications but still get notification when I click on "subscriptions" in "my account" - is that correct? And what do I do when the item next to the box to be checked says either "daily" or "instant?"

06-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I've reverted the link behavior on the desktop site. The new behavior will stay on the mobile site- if you want to see the list of subscribed threads there, just go into the menu instead of clicking on the button.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Thanks for putting it back to the old way Adam. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with my browser. With that new thing you had, it would go to a thread I was subscribed to, and when I clicked it again it would (about half the time) just keep going back to that last thread.

Or it would simply go to a randomly chosen thread that was in my subscriptions, but not in any logical order.

Quite frustrating.
06-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Fine, but for my current subscriptions, some say "none" next to the box to check, others say "daily" and yet others say "instant." At the present time I get EMAIL notification for all of them. If I check "none" on those that say "none" I will stop getting EMAIL notifications but still get notification when I click on "subscriptions" in "my account" - is that correct? And what do I do when the item next to the box to be checked says either "daily" or "instant?"
The ones that say "daily" or "instant" will generate e-mail notifications. You'll want to check those and select "notification in User CP only" in the dropdown. Then, once it says "none", you'll only get a notification on the forum itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I really like the ability to choose here. Some forums do not. It is nice to ba able to simply come here, and use the dropdown to navigate to the list of subscribed threads, and then choose which ones I wish to review.

And my e-mail inbox requires less maintenance too.

Double win.

06-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to have it back. It felt like a solution to a problem that didn't exist by creating a new problem. I don't really care about the mobile site. I don't like them and always use the desktop site also on mobile devices. The mobile site only shows thread updates but not quotes or likes.
06-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, thanks for switching back to the old functionality, Adam. Progress is a good thing, and I guess this was worth a try, but sometimes the old ways are best
06-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Good to have it back. It felt like a solution to a problem that didn't exist by creating a new problem. I don't really care about the mobile site. I don't like them and always use the desktop site also on mobile devices. The mobile site only shows thread updates but not quotes or likes.
Actually it was updated several months ago to show quotes And now there's also a dark theme of the mobile site, accessible via links at the bottom.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2017, 03:38 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ones that say "daily" or "instant" will generate e-mail notifications. You'll want to check those and select "notification in User CP only" in the dropdown. Then, once it says "none", you'll only get a notification on the forum itself.
Thanks Adam. Just went through and changed all the subscriptions to "none." Sorry to be an annoying dunce about what should be an easy task.
06-15-2017, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I never knew anything had changed or anything was wrong. I don't have any "subscribed" threads and don't have a clue what that means anyhow. I kind of feel cheated that everyone had a problem and I was left out.......

Regards!
06-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't have any "subscribed" threads and don't have a clue what that means anyhow.
Subscribed threads are ingenious means to get you hooked to the forums all day. You can also see when someone likes or quotes you, which is even more sinister. Full scale addiction ensues.
06-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I've reverted the link behavior on the desktop site. The new behavior will stay on the mobile site- if you want to see the list of subscribed threads there, just go into the menu instead of clicking on the button.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I liked how the old mobile Forum Index worked when I clicked on the New Subscribed Threads link that is below the New Posts & Today's Posts links. It would take me to a list of subscribed threads that I could pick from. Now takes me to the most recent thread that has been posted on. Its just a minor annoyance 'cause I'd rather pick the thread that I want to go to instead of being sent to the most recent one. It worked better than taking you to a recent thread that you probably don't care to much for.
06-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I liked how the old mobile Forum Index worked when I clicked on the New Subscribed Threads link that is below the New Posts & Today's Posts links. It would take me to a list of subscribed threads that I could pick from. Now takes me to the most recent thread that has been posted on. Its just a minor annoyance 'cause I'd rather pick the thread that I want to go to instead of being sent to the most recent one. It worked better than taking you to a recent thread that you probably don't care to much for.
If you want to see that list, select "subscribed threads" from the menu, which works just like the button did before.

Adam

07-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Sorry if this has been raised before, but why does it seem to take several hours or more for notifications to come in by email - sounds a "long time" in the current state of the "connected World"?
07-03-2017, 12:57 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Sorry if this has been raised before, but why does it seem to take several hours or more for notifications to come in by email - sounds a "long time" in the current state of the "connected World"?
Do you have instant email notification selected as your default subscription method, as well as for your current subscriptions? I believe the default is daily updates.

Adam

07-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Do you have instant email notification selected as your default subscription method, as well as for your current subscriptions? I believe the default is daily updates.
Adam

Thanks - I have just checked my Profile, and I do have instant email notification selected.

John