Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How to correct wrong orientation of posted photos

I have been using my K3 with the 'auto rotate' feature on.

When I post photos taken in the portrait orientation they show correctly on my machine but when uploaded to PF they are rotated to lay on their side.

I have tried to correct this so I rotate them on my machine so they show wrong there, but when uploaded they show exactly the same.

How do I rotate them on PF so others can see them the right way?

08-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Background info: there are essentially two ways to rotate a JPG image. One is to rearrange the data in the file so the pixels are actually in the other orientation, as an image editor would do it. The other is to just make a note in the file header directing the viewing software how to orient it.

On the trash can picture from the earlier thread, I'd expect to see an EXIF tag declaring orientation of either 90 or -90 (since I can't remember offhand whether the convention means "it is rotated this way" or "please rotate it this way"). But instead it has this:

Orientation : Rotate 180

To settle the question, view the EXIF on your own copy of the image file. If it says 180, the problem is somewhere on your end. If it says 90 or -90 then PF screwed up when processing the file.

Either way, a certain cure is to turn off auto-orientation on the camera, and use an image editor to do the rotations before uploading to PF. You shouldn't have to do that, but you can expect it to always work.
08-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sluggo, thanks. I have corrected the offending picture.

The problem arises from a change in user interface of the Microsoft image viewer since I last did such things.

The one shipped with Windows 10 allows the user to rotate the image, and apparently changes the 'view orientation' parameter. The older one (Windows 7) actually saved the file again in the new orientation, changing the image content itself. With the Windows 10 version you need to click the 'edit image' menu item, not just rotate the view.
08-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think this thread has served its purpose now, and would be best closed to new messages, but still made visible to readers.

08-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think this thread has served its purpose now, and would be best closed to new messages, but still made visible to readers.
Some forums let the OP close their own threads or mark them 'solved' or whatever. But those are mostly software-oriented communities I guess. Glad you were able to track this down.