Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #31
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I was referring to the white-on-yellow "LOYAL SUPPORTER" "buttons" (which are hard to read, methinks) -- I wouldn't think that a different skin would affect those. (?)
They pop right out while viewing on my PC.

But when viewing on my iPod the user name is all I see, no avatar, user title, post count, nothing.

10-23-2017, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So some have an atrophied trophy and others have a trophy?
I have started to be startled by the stars.
10-23-2017, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The stars and banners are currently experimental. I'm happy with the system, though the graphics may be changed to be a bit more compact.

Hollow silver star- 1 post
1 silver - 5
2 silver - 25
3 silver - 100
4 silver - 250
5 silver - 500
1 gold - 1k
2 gold - 2k
3 gold - 3k
4 gold - 5k
5 gold - 10k

Since we have a lot of folks with over 10k posts, there's room to expand. If you guys have any cool ideas, let me know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2017, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will be the dissenting vote here. I find the new titles and stars highly distracting and a little garish. Is this something that can be turned off?
I'm with you, especially about the garishness. It's ugly, and too big. Also the choice of stars as counters brings to mind kindergarten children clamoring for participation awards.

10-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The stars and banners are currently experimental. I'm happy with the system, though the graphics may be changed to be a bit more compact.

1 silver - 5
2 silver - 25
3 silver - 100
4 silver - 250
5 silver - 500
1 gold - 1k
2 gold - 2k
3 gold - 3k
4 gold - 5k
5 gold - 10k

Since we have a lot of folks with over 10k posts, there's room to expand. If you guys have any cool ideas, let me know!
the only comment I have is that I don't like the white on yellow " Loyal Supporter " banner

others have different colors

how is that done, can I do anything to change mine?

what is the " trophy " awarded for?

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-23-2017 at 02:00 PM.
10-23-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I will be the dissenting vote here. I find the new titles and stars highly distracting and a little garish. Is this something that can be turned off?
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Constantly catching glimpses of big bright stars and trophies in the corner of my left eye as I look at photos is frustratingly distracting. Hopefully my eyes will learn to tune them out after a while.
Yes, you can check the "Remove user profile information from posts" option in the user CP.

However, once the rank icons are streamlined, I think they will grow on you guys. Definitely looking to make them smaller.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fun idea Adam

- Concur with others re: white letters on Yellow bar (loyal supporter)
- what does the trophy designate? If stars points are reduced so 5 fit under the banner, I suggest dismiss the trophy (major eye attractor)

10-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

1 silver - 5
[SNIPPED FOR BREVITY]
5 gold - 10k

The next award progression after gold is platinum, but that might look too much like silver. Instead of silver/gold/platinum. downgrade what's already there and use a bronze/silver, with gold kicking in at > 10k.

Or use electrum. Only old school D&D players will know what that is.

I think the whole thing is silly, anyway. 5 silver is lower ranked than 1 gold yet looks more impressive on screen.
10-23-2017, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

May I respectfully suggest that the trophy be used to contain frothy beer (or mashed potatoes, whatever it looks like to you)? It could indicate a special status, like the user has gone off the rails, or is just enjoying themselves too much.
Attached Images

10-23-2017, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Reckon it would be possible to trade my 5 gold stars for 5 handsome squirrels?

Something like these? sq1sq2

Regards!

Racer........shame on you...pencil in the eye.....good thing a Mod didn't see that!
10-23-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
May I respectfully suggest that the trophy be used to contain frothy beer
...or stinky fumes should the user begin to misbehave...

Steve
10-23-2017, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The style does add some 'splash' to the pages. On the other hand, I tend to prefer the quieter existing text-based indications of 'status', posts and likes. The information is there, but doesn't scream.

I like the quiet, simple, unassuming style of the PF site - it's well matched to the nature of the content and discussions. Maybe make the icons more subtle and in the background. Otherwise, I'd like my star to be a huge, pulsating, glowing super-nova, with additional artwork from @BrianR.

I'm waiting for some members to change their personal avatars to a block of 20 gold and silver stars.
10-23-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

So the number of stars signify the amount of free time users have?
10-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

...or stinky fumes should the user begin to misbehave...

Steve
some type of stinky cheese instead of the trophy for those members
10-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I agree with others who have opined the new graphics are a little garish.

Personally, I'd like the stars below the title to be a customizable thing for viewers, maybe with the following choices: none, by number of posts, by number of likes, or by ratio of likes to post. That is, make it something that quickly informs me about the poster, according to my preferred metric. Just a thought...