Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2017, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
i'm waiting for some members to change their personal avatars to a block of 20 gold and silver stars.

10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yeaahhhh.... there's no streamlining these things... they're outright fugly.
10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #48
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will be the dissenting vote here. I find the new titles and stars highly distracting and a little garish. Is this something that can be turned off?

Steve

not to let Steve dissent alone, but I would like to tone them down a bit, if not remove mine altogether....
10-23-2017, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let's give Adam a chance! He said he was going to work on them, including making them smaller. So, give the poor guy time to do it.

10-23-2017, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh look.

I have a trophy now.

What the heck have I done?
You participated.
10-23-2017, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The icons are currently being updated, and should be fully synced within the next hour or so. They're now much smaller and I think that's more in line with my original intention.

However, I would love to spice them up to match the site theme (cameras), so I'm of course open to any further suggestions or even direct user contributions .

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too think these are a bit too garish and distracting. I'm a minimalist in aesthetic. The re-size looks good Adam. However personally Instead of stars I would have used marks similar to the mount markers used on pentax lenses. But then I belatedly remembered that Pentax doesn't put them on lenses anymore - that thought really bummed me out.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So the number of stars signify the amount of free time users have?
Or how much time we spend procrastinating in the photography studio.

or watching idly while a student puts together a rube goldberg style studio set up* - where I could accomplish the same look with a few reflectors and two strobes.

*bonus points are awarded when something catches on fire.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-24-2017 at 12:41 AM.
10-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #53

Photos: Albums
Child's play...
10-24-2017, 01:42 AM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The re-size looks good Adam. However personally Instead of stars I would have used marks similar to the mount markers used on pentax lenses. But then I belatedly remembered that Pentax doesn't put them on lenses anymore - that thought really bummed me out.
Something like that would be really cool, though I admit that making it look nice goes beyond my skills with graphics so I'd need some help. Maybe a K-mount with features gradually getting filled as you rank up (i.e. mirror inside the mount)?

It seems a 16-pixel width per icon keeps things much more tidy, so that would be the target size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2017, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Oh looky here now there's medals instead of stars but starry medals and sunny medals wow! Maybe golden K's should be awarded (but avoid giving anybody three K's. Skip right to four .)
10-24-2017, 02:12 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . . It seems a 16-pixel width per icon keeps things much more tidy, so that would be the target size.
better in my humble opinon
10-24-2017, 03:38 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe a K-mount with features gradually getting filled as you rank up (i.e. mirror inside the mount)?
Or perhaps a horizontal post counter that looked like the meter scale from a pentax LX or the MX. But i'm afraid the younger generation who weren't exposed to pentax film cameras wouldn't get the reference.

I have already have had to deal with highly affluent but shockingly ignorant budding leicaphiles on another forum who questioned how we used to grip our film Leica cameras before the thumbs up grip was invented.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-24-2017 at 03:47 AM.
10-24-2017, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Or perhaps a horizontal post counter that looked like the meter scale from a pentax LX or the MX. But i'm afraid the younger generation who weren't exposed to pentax film cameras wouldn't get the reference.
*cough*cough*
10-24-2017, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
*cough*cough*
Hope you got your flu shot kid.
10-24-2017, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #60
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like the new size, display, Adam. How about posting a description what they all mean? Trophy, Stars, "Sun"?????