Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thread titles can't be entirely uppercase?

Lenses: DA 21, DA-L 18-50/4-5.6, M 100/2.8 - PentaxForums.com

If I try to change the title to remove the "Lenses:", the forum lowercases all letters except the leading D: "Da 21, da-l 18-50/4-5.6, m 100/2.8"

I can reproduce this by starting a new thread and using a title without lowercase letters, e.g.

"A B C D E F" gets rendered as "A b c d e f"

"A b C D E F" stays "A b C D E F"

What's going on here? Was there an epidemic of all-caps thread titles that needed to be stopped?

11-02-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tonezime Quote
What's going on here? Was there an epidemic of all-caps thread titles that needed to be stopped?
There is no epidemic because they aren't allowed.
There's an ancient saying in the advertising business: "All display is no display."
Besides that, all caps is the written equivalent of shouting. People don't like to be shouted at.
11-02-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is no epidemic because they aren't allowed.
There's an ancient saying in the advertising business: "All display is no display."
Besides that, all caps is the written equivalent of shouting. People don't like to be shouted at.
There are few things in this world as annoying as all caps sentences. Hard to read and interpret.

For many, if you weren't smart enough to learn how properly use caps in elementary school, I'm not sure you have anything to say I want to hear. I know it's prejudice, but, there are a lot like me.
11-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The example I gave has nothing to do with all caps sentences, and I doubt anyone would interpret something like "SMC DA 35/2.4" as shouting, despite containing no lowercase letters.

It'd be nice if the forum software made it clearer that this was happening, rather than the title being silently changed, especially since it's trivial to work around if you know why it's happening.

11-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

The example I gave has nothing to do with all caps sentences, and I doubt anyone would interpret something like "SMC DA 35/2.4" as shouting, despite containing no lowercase letters.
We have a hard time staying on topic.
11-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The example I gave has nothing to do with all caps sentences, and I doubt anyone would interpret something like "SMC DA 35/2.4" as shouting, despite containing no lowercase letters..
You're absolutely right.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We have a hard time staying on topic.
So are you.
11-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're absolutely right.

So are you.
Definitely not, the High School teacher in me hijacked my brain.
11-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not really, but the baseline shout protection has been here all along. As you correctly pointed out, the solution is to have some lowercase letters elsewhere in the title

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: