Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help! I cannot seem to access Pentaxforums properly :/

So yesterday, my browser (opera) started returning the error 'This site can't be reached' Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax took too long to respond.

Now ok I thought, maybe site is down for maintenance. I used IE and checked as well, same deal. Definitely down I thought. Went to bed. Woke up this morning, and still can't access the site from my pc. Odd I thought, can't still be down. And lobehold I'm still getting subscription thread notifications in my emails. Weird.

So I tried IE again, same, can't get on site. AH... must be a cookie cache thing, so I emptie/wiped that from Opera. Still no joy.

Maybe my PC? I try logging in from my tablet from the home wifi, Tablet can't get onto site either?!

Weird, ok, its my network, what I will do is toggle to my usb mobile broadband unit (ie a different ISP), and once again... no joy!!

The only way I'm even typing this message now is because I am on my mobile phone with wifi turned off and using mobile data to connect (ie different IP address), and that's working.

I'm a bit lost as what to do to resolve this.

I shall clear cache and cookies on IE as well, I have rebooted modem but seeing as the issue is present on both modems I don't think its network related.

Has Pentaxforums accidently banned my IP? I have no PM in my inbox, I try and be a good boy lol...

Please help bruce!

TIA

12-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So yesterday, my browser (opera) started returning the error 'This site can't be reached' Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax took too long to respond.

Now ok I thought, maybe site is down for maintenance. I used IE and checked as well, same deal. Definitely down I thought. Went to bed. Woke up this morning, and still can't access the site from my pc. Odd I thought, can't still be down. And lobehold I'm still getting subscription thread notifications in my emails. Weird.

So I tried IE again, same, can't get on site. AH... must be a cookie cache thing, so I emptie/wiped that from Opera. Still no joy.

Maybe my PC? I try logging in from my tablet from the home wifi, Tablet can't get onto site either?!

Weird, ok, its my network, what I will do is toggle to my usb mobile broadband unit (ie a different ISP), and once again... no joy!!

The only way I'm even typing this message now is because I am on my mobile phone with wifi turned off and using mobile data to connect (ie different IP address), and that's working.

I'm a bit lost as what to do to resolve this.

I shall clear cache and cookies on IE as well, I have rebooted modem but seeing as the issue is present on both modems I don't think its network related.

Has Pentaxforums accidently banned my IP? I have no PM in my inbox, I try and be a good boy lol...

Please help bruce!

TIA
Hi Bruce.

That seems odd. Have you tried with a different browser? Have you done a cold restart of your machine?
I would suggest you PM Adam and maybe he can look what's happening in the background.

Kind regards,
Mark
12-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a feeling the site server was down yesterday doing maintenance.
12-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Bruce.

That seems odd. Have you tried with a different browser? Have you done a cold restart of your machine?
I would suggest you PM Adam and maybe he can look what's happening in the background.

Kind regards,
Mark
Yep Mark, i can confirm same issue persists on different browsers and even platforms (Android & PC/Win10). Like i said, the only wayi am typing this is from my phone and turning wifi off. I think the fact that using the usb mobile broadband also does not rectify is key also to this problem. Im not sure how to pm adam here but will figure it out. I just wanted to reach out here first in case my IP is blocked from PF end first...

---------- Post added 12-07-17 at 03:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I have a feeling the site server was down yesterday doing maintenance.
Still happening to me now, all my aussie friends can log on fine, as can i from my phone and mobile data (but not TWO types of home wifi....) 🤔

12-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A small update now and summary, as this issue is still a problem but I have made 'progress'.

Summary

1) Pentaxforums is not down, site is accessible by others and me (in different ways)
2) Multiple browsers exhibit the same response (namely this error message);

3) For a time, if I toggled between my Ethernet modem connection (adsl2+, TPG ISP provider) to my Optus 4GX Mobile Broadband USB connection (which is faster but limited data allowance) and still the issue persisted.
4) If I was on my Android tablet and using Wifi (adsl2+ home network), the problem persisted.
5) If i toggled firewall on or off, problem persisted.
6) I uninstalled wifi drivers, issue still present upon restart and win 10 autodetecting and adding wifi drivers back.
7) The only way up until about 30mins ago to even get on this site and make this thread was to use my windows phone, toggle wifi off and use its mobile data to gain access.

8) The new development is I have somehow got my 4GX Optus Modem to now work with this site, this reply is being made on the PC using that network. All i did was unplug it, pull the battery out, give it 2-3 mins and then replug things back.

As it stands, if I toggle off my mobile broadband and back to TPG/Adsl2+ I still can't gain access to pentaxforums, from any device platform using that wifi. I'm still hesitant to believe this issue is my ISPs fault as for awhile Optus (the other ISP with the 4GX modem was also giving the same problem back).

I can't help feel this is an issue with the modem router, if there is a way to do a 'hard' reset (as I have tried multiple power downs). The fact the 4GX one started working again upon battery removal may be important?

FWIW I also installed chrome and added the 'nocoin' addon incase that helped at all (I thought i read Pentaxforums was perhaps subject to this How To Stop Pirate Bay And Other Sites From Hijacking Your CPU To Mine Cryptocoins | Gizmodo Australia) (PS I don't torrent... at all.)
12-07-2017, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

What are the DNS settings your PC is depending on?

Set your ADSL router to use Google's public DNS servers, instead of TPG's:

or those of OpenDNS:

and try again.
12-07-2017, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I checked our logs and it looks like our firewall automatically blocked your IP after 5 attempted replies to this thread. It said the submission contained XSS (cross site scripting) content. The actual request was not logged, so I cannot confirm that it was a false positive, but in any case I've now unblocked the IP so you should be able to get back on

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I checked our logs and it looks like our firewall automatically blocked your IP after 5 attempted replies to this thread. It said the submission contained XSS (cross site scripting) content. The actual request was not logged, so I cannot confirm that it was a false positive, but in any case I've now unblocked the IP so you should be able to get back on
Ah wonderful Adam, thank you.

Now about that reply, may I PM you it, as I cannot understand why it failed? The 5 attempts is because we Aussies have the worst internet infrastructure in the world, my adsl2+ fluctuates between 1-5mb/s max, so I often get drop outs or time outs, I thought that what why it failed, and then eventually couldn't get back on the site at all, did not think the two were related.

EDIT: Definitely something wrong with my reply. Before I got firewalled I did save my reply in word, as it was lengthy and contained quotes to multiple users. I cannot even c/p the reply in a PM to you, I get the same error (this time I won't try 5 times tho!).

WHat exactly am I looking for in my reply that was a nono, can you give an example?

Last edited by BruceBanner; 12-07-2017 at 04:59 AM.
12-07-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try putting your reply text into a file. Perhaps Adam can pm you a place to upload it for him to check.
12-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Try putting your reply text into a file. Perhaps Adam can pm you a place to upload it for him to check.
Good idea, here it is for anyone to find; Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I can't check right now but my guess would be the WB>K1> being flagged as code injection. Try adding a space or dash instead.
12-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Another user reported this issue, so perhaps a new rule is causing some false positives. I will ask our server guys to see if that is the case and disable it if needed.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2017, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We have disabled some problematic rules and unblocked a handful of affected IPs, so anyone locked out as a result of this should now be able to get back online.

Adam

12-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was able to access the forums yesterday am

then I got the same error

timed out etc

today, i tried from a different location outside my home and hand no problem

came home and tried no luck

same problem as yesterday

then suddenly it let me in

?????

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw some weirdness too, this week.