Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add Warranty Terms to Product Reviews

A recurring source of rants/complaints/sad stories on this site has been the fact that Ricoh/Pentax and other makers of photography gear do not warranty damage caused by water incursion. This is true regardless of whether the products have seals and/or are advertised as being sealed. The posts generally reflect an expectation of storm/splash/or immersion resistance similar to that provided by at least low-end enclosures when such is simply not provided.

While it is likely that there is little we can do on this site to temper those expectations for all users, I think it may be helpful to include the actual warranty wording (at least for North America) and a strong caution regarding environmental seals, reasonable expectations, and best-practice as a standard part of in-depth reviews here. The section on "Build" might be a good location. "Boxed" emphasis might also be appropriate. Such a statement might also state that warranty exclusion for water damage is the industry norm, even for products advertised as waterproof to specific depth/time.

Steve

12-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "in the box" section already includes warranty duration.

I'm not convinced that adding details about the warranty would be such a good idea. First, pentaxforums is not responsible for the warranty and I wouldn't want to imply as such or even come close to.. Second, the warranty card is included with all products.

Discussions in the forums seems like the best course.

That's just my two cents
12-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a good idea to mention this, though I'm sure many of our WR lens reviews already touch on it.

Pentax markets their weatherproofing much more aggresively than other brands, so it would be good for customers to stay informed through us if Pentax isn't being clear enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: