Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photo Space

I'm running out of attachment space, so I donated an additional $20.00 this afternoon. How long will it be until my space in increased so that I can continue to post photos?

Thanks
Dewman

01-11-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'm running out of attachment space, so I donated an additional $20.00 this afternoon. How long will it be until my space in increased so that I can continue to post photos?

Thanks
Dewman
Per the quotas page, it looks like you still have about half your attachment space free, and also no usage at all in the albums:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editattachments

Donation renewals simply extend access but they do not increase the quotas. If you are interested in unlimited attachment space, check this thread out and please shoot me a PM.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Per the quotas page, it looks like you still have about half your attachment space free, and also no usage at all in the albums:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editattachments

Donation renewals simply extend access but they do not increase the quotas. If you are interested in unlimited attachment space, check this thread out and please shoot me a PM.

Adam, I donated $20.00 thinking it would increase my attachment space, but it didn't. So, I went into my "account" and deleted several of my previous posts in order to increase the space. That's why is now shows my attachment space at half full.

I must confess, I'm ignorant about the "album" feature. Am I to understand that I can download photos into it, then just add a link in my post?
01-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam, I donated $20.00 thinking it would increase my attachment space, but it didn't. So, I went into my "account" and deleted several of my previous posts in order to increase the space. That's why is now shows my attachment space at half full.

I must confess, I'm ignorant about the "album" feature. Am I to understand that I can download photos into it, then just add a link in my post?
Regarding albums, yes, that's all you'd need to do. You can embed the photos on your post and they will look just like attachments. Albums also let you organize your photos into categories.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adam, I donated $20.00 thinking it would increase my attachment space, but it didn't.
Damn, just got caught out by the same issue.

Every where I looked said Donate to increase attachment, gallery, and album limits! so I added a donation.

The donations page does not say that additional donations will NOT increase your attachment space.

QuoteQuote:
I don't really want to get involved in a two step process just to post an image.

Why isn't album space and attachment space combined? Isn't it all disk space?
01-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Damn, just got caught out by the same issue.

Every where I looked said Donate to increase attachment, gallery, and album limits! so I added a donation.

The donations page does not say that additional donations will NOT increase your attachment space.

I don't really want to get involved in a two step process just to post an image.

Why isn't album space and attachment space combined? Isn't it all disk space?
Thanks for the feedback. Increasing space through additional donations (rather than extending the access time) isn't something supported by the current system, which is why we have the unlimited space tier (loyal site supporter) instead.

The album system does support one-click embedding (across multiple posts) and makes it easy to categorize your photos, so I'd recommend taking it for a spin for now. I'll likely increase attachment quotas for all site supporters as a temporary measure later on.

Adam

01-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Increasing space through additional donations (rather than extending the access time) isn't something supported by the current system, which is why we have the unlimited space tier (loyal site supporter) instead.

The album system does support one-click embedding (across multiple posts) and makes it easy to categorize your photos, so I'd recommend taking it for a spin for now. I'll likely increase attachment quotas for all site supporters as a temporary measure later on.

Adam, the way the system is set up not is very confusing and VERY misleading! I got caught up in the same thing about two years ago, and then AGAIN a month or so ago. All I wanted to do was increase my photo space, but instead all I managed to do was DONATE another $20.00 to PF. In all fairness to your followers, something should be done so this is no longer a problem. To simply say "That's the way it's set up" offers NO solution to those of us who DONATE $20.00 in the hopes of increasing our photo space, and then are told differently. I would think that it would be proper to either increase the photo space to those who get caught up in this situation or refund the money. Do I feel hoodwinked? Hmmm...... well, sorta'.

01-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Increasing space through additional donations (rather than extending the access time) isn't something supported by the current system, which is why we have the unlimited space tier (loyal site supporter) instead.
To simply say "That's the way it's set up"
I believe what Adam is saying is that the software the forum is built on does not support increasing space through additional donations.

I think the site is build on vBulletin which seems to only allow the setting of attachment space based on user groups not individual users, so you can't increase attachment space for an individual user.

One work around might be to have more groups such as 'Site Supporter Bronze' 'Site Supporter Silver' 'Site Supporter Gold' 'Site Supporter Platinum" or the like with various levels of attachment space but that would be up to Adam.
01-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

One work around might be to have more groups such as 'Site Supporter Bronze' 'Site Supporter Silver' 'Site Supporter Gold' 'Site Supporter Platinum" or the like with various levels of attachment space but that would be up to Adam.
This is definitely something we could do. I'll see if it can be set up in a less confusing manner!

Adam, the way the system is set up not is very confusing and VERY misleading! I got caught up in the same thing about two years ago, and then AGAIN a month or so ago. All I wanted to do was increase my photo space, but instead all I managed to do was DONATE another $20.00 to PF. In all fairness to your followers, something should be done so this is no longer a problem. To simply say "That's the way it's set up" offers NO solution to those of us who DONATE $20.00 in the hopes of increasing our photo space, and then are told differently. I would think that it would be proper to either increase the photo space to those who get caught up in this situation or refund the money. Do I feel hoodwinked? Hmmm...... well, sorta'.
Right now I'm seeing you've made two donations, and you have access until the middle of next year. Would you rather have twice the space but access expiring at the middle of this year? I see you've only used half the quota so far so I'd say the latter would work out to be more economical Regardless, my goal is to make all of you guys happy, so if you have any specific suggestions then please fire away. In the mean time I'll work on setting up the different tiers. Or, an alternative would be to reset the quota back to zero each year, which might be a better way to complement the unlimited space offered by the loyal site supporter donation.

Adam

01-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regardless, my goal is to make all of you guys happy,
Nice.

Either way will work, resetting the quota back to zero each year is probably easier but different levels would provide a little incentive for a donation top up.

Levels should perhaps be based on total contributions (say $20/20MB increments) but only whilst a 'financial' member.
01-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is definitely something we could do. I'll see if it can be set up in a less confusing manner!

Right now I'm seeing you've made two donations, and you have access until the middle of next year. Would you rather have twice the space but access expiring at the middle of this year? I see you've only used half the quota so far so I'd say the latter would work out to be more economical Regardless, my goal is to make all of you guys happy, so if you have any specific suggestions then please fire away. In the mean time I'll work on setting up the different tiers. Or, an alternative would be to reset the quota back to zero each year, which might be a better way to complement the unlimited space offered by the loyal site supporter donation.

Adam, the only reason I have access until the middle of next year is because I went into my account and deleted most of my prior posts. I came up against this same problem a year or two ago.... donated the additional $20.00, thinking it would increase my photo space.... and ended up EXACTLY where I am now....having to delete my prior posts so I could increase the space. I got in touch with a monitor with no solution to the problem. That being said, what's wrong with an option that simply says, "To increase your photo space, DONATE HERE." If it will also increase the member's access, that would be a great bonus. Just a thought.
03-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

@Dewman
I'm happy to report that I was successfully able to implement a system that increases your attachment quota for each year that you're a site supporter (advance renewals count). Currently, you get 20% more space per year of renewal, and this stacks exponentially. So, after 2 years you'd have 44% more, after 3 years 73% more, and so on. The numbers are subject to adjustment depending on how things work out, but I think this is a good approach generally speaking, as it eliminates the need for different donation tiers, is fully automated, and means that any subsequent donation will always increase your attachment space. The loyal site supporter option will remain for those who want unlimited space.

I'll be testing the system over the course of the coming days; expect an official announcement with more details next week.

Adam

03-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds good Adam.

The following is for your information and is NOT in any way a complaint

I see I have an extra 12MB (20%) which equates to one renewal.

I can find records of four donations, two consecutive years followed by a gap then two more consecutive years.

I hope this helps you assess if it's working as you want.
03-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds good Adam.

The following is for your information and is NOT in any way a complaint

I see I have an extra 12MB (20%) which equates to one renewal.

I can find records of four donations, two consecutive years followed by a gap then two more consecutive years.

I hope this helps you assess if it's working as you want.
Looks like the system is missing two. Can you please PM me the transaction details? They may have been guest donations.

Adam

03-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've further tweaked the system so that donations of $35 or $50 carry a proportional bonus over donations of $20. If one of your renewals is over $20, you'll see an even larger bonus.

Adam