Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slow site respone times?

Anybody else having issues with slow site response times? I can wait minutes to bring up a page etc. Not unusual for me to get a timeout error. This is happening with multiple computers that I have access too. I am not having this issue with other sites.

02-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had ridiculous problems lately, that seems to have been resolved when I cleared my browser cache and did smoother site maintenance, including doing a forced change of I.P. address. I got confused and used the wrong code posting images from flickr, and the software used on this and a few other sites started blocking my access to the sites. My I'P address rarely changes because I never turn off my router and use in internet phone. Resetting my router (and figuring out why I was being blocked) solved the problem.

SO who knows, maybe that's it, maybe it's not.... probably not I guess.
02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've had slow response times here for the last two days. Having to do a ctrl +F5 to get it to even load a page. Or hit the x to stop it loading, then click on refresh to get it to load. That works but still annoying to have to do this. Patience is not my virtue.
Still happening and this morning I got a 404 error, plus a database error. I have already cleared cache in FF and it doesn't seem to help any.
02-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, same problems over here too. Working ok right now, though

02-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have had ridiculous problems lately, that seems to have been resolved when I cleared my browser cache and did smoother site maintenance, including doing a forced change of I.P. address. I got confused and used the wrong code posting images from flickr, and the software used on this and a few other sites started blocking my access to the sites. My I'P address rarely changes because I never turn off my router and use in internet phone. Resetting my router (and figuring out why I was being blocked) solved the problem.

SO who knows, maybe that's it, maybe it's not.... probably not I guess.
It seems there may be some network-level issues affecting users near the east coast, so I'll have our server guys look into that.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have had ridiculous problems lately, that seems to have been resolved when I cleared my browser cache and did smoother site maintenance, including doing a forced change of I.P. address. I got confused and used the wrong code posting images from flickr, and the software used on this and a few other sites started blocking my access to the sites. My I'P address rarely changes because I never turn off my router and use in internet phone. Resetting my router (and figuring out why I was being blocked) solved the problem. SO who knows, maybe that's it, maybe it's not.... probably not I guess.
Indeed, a recent update to firewall rulesets commonly used on servers seems to be generating a lot of false positives. I've been keeping an eye on this and taking action as needed, as many users have been getting locked out for silly things such as ten consecutive periods in a post or benign EXIF data.

The best remedy is to contact me if you get a 404 or 301 error on a page that normally shouldn't be giving such an error. If you attempt to refresh such a page enough times, you will get blocked.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm still having slow response times. Just now trying to get the forums front page to load, it's spinning but not loading, then I hit stop loading button, hit ctrl +F5 and it loads.
02-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problems here today as well - I waited almost 2 minutes just to reply to this thread.

02-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm still having slow response times. Just now trying to get the forums front page to load, it's spinning but not loading, then I hit stop loading button, hit ctrl +F5 and it loads.
The server folks said that the a backup is what caused the slowness overnight for the past couple of days. It shouldn't be affecting anyone right now.

If you hit F12 in your browser, and go to the network/timings tab, that will show you what is causing the pageload to hang. If it's something on our domain, the server folks asked affected users to run a trace route (i.e. windows+R -> type cmd -> hit OK -> type tracert pentaxforums.com -> hit enter, or on a mac/linux system, type traceroute pentaxforums.com in the terminal), as it may be network or firewall-related. PM me the result and I will forward it to them.

If it's an external resource on the page that's having issues, I can temporarily remove it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems a bit better now but still taking more time to load a page than it should. At least I'm not getting time outs now. I'll do a tracert in few minutes.
02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I spoke too soon, still having problems albeit not as much as before, but trying to send you a PM I got a Database error but was finally able to send the tracert report.
02-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I spoke too soon, still having problems albeit not as much as before, but trying to send you a PM I got a Database error but was finally able to send the tracert report.
I tweaked the database server a bit to try to speed things up, but I don't think that's the source of the issues based on what I'm seeing.

Adam

02-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience googleapis doesn’t play well lately. Page loads hang waiting for response from there or one of the other overheads running on the Forum.
02-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Indeed, it does look like google may be having some issues, but hopefully all that is temporary.

We've made some tweaks to speed up the site on our end, and it looks like things are quite a bit better now.

If you're still having issues with timeouts, please PM me your traceroute as per post 8.

Adam

02-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've had slow response times here for the last two days. Having to do a ctrl +F5 to get it to even load a page. Or hit the x to stop it loading, then click on refresh to get it to load. That works but still annoying to have to do this. Patience is not my virtue.
Still happening and this morning I got a 404 error, plus a database error. I have already cleared cache in FF and it doesn't seem to help any.
The server folks said your issue was related to the backup being in progress. But it seems that the fixes from the above post have also speed up the backups, so hopefully all is now resolved!

Please keep me posted if you continue experiencing any issues.

Adam

02-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam. Working well for me the past 30 min or so.