Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Product pictures of lenses

What about the lens pictures used as thumbnail in lists - is it possible to replace some of them by the official Pentax product images?
Does Ricoh allow this?
Especially more interesting lenses like Stars or supertele/soft/macros could be improved by that.
Pentax Imaging Camera Lenses Digital & 35mm
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 300mm F2.8 ED (IF) - FA - Telephoto - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 28mm F2.8 soft - FA - Special Purpose - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 20-35mm F4.0 AL - FA - Zoom - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 250-600mm F5.6 ED (IF) - FA - Zoom - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 600mm F4.0 ED (IF) - FA - Telephoto - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

Last edited by angerdan; 03-07-2018 at 08:30 AM.
03-02-2018, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The problem with these old catalog photos is that they are tiny. I think we can do better just by re-shooting some of them ourselves, such as the 300mm and 20-35mm (both of which I have).

The 28mm soft looks good already; I'd be happy to update the images for the 250-600mm or 600mm if someone could contribute them.

If you come across old catalog photos at a decent resolution, I'd be happy to add them as well. We have permission to use official press materials on the site.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're right, as bigger the lenses are the more tiny the pictures get (less details).
Maybe someone from the staff or members have contacts to Pentax/Ricoh and can get access to higher resolution files? That would be a perfect solution.

I do have some pictures, will check how good theu're after i scan them.
03-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The problem with these old catalog photos is that they are tiny. I think we can do better just by re-shooting some of them ourselves, such as the 300mm and 20-35mm (both of which I have).

The 28mm soft looks good already; I'd be happy to update the images for the 250-600mm or 600mm if someone could contribute them.

If you come across old catalog photos at a decent resolution, I'd be happy to add them as well. We have permission to use official press materials on the site.
FA*250-600 - @builttospill
FA*600/4 - whomever @RonBoggs sold it to last month.

Perhaps you could create a design standard and ask a few of us to re-do.

@angerdan Those who took the camera and lens photos many years ago would gladly retake if asked

03-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure how you can search for an individual lens but a possible way to look at photos of lenses is to check this thread

Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

the photos generally do not show all features of a lens but some do have a SMU for scaling purposes

for example

Your latest acquisition - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
03-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's wrong with the existing images of lenses?
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FA*250-600 - @builttospill
FA*600/4 - whomever @RonBoggs sold it to last month.

Perhaps you could create a design standard and ask a few of us to re-do.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd be happy to update the images for the 250-600mm or 600mm if someone could contribute them.
I'm happy to photograph some of my lenses in the collection. However my 250-600 is the F* instead of the FA* version. @Clinton, as well as a few others around here have the FA*. Clint's is in mint condition though. I believe he also has the FA* 600.
03-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

I'm happy to photograph some of my lenses in the collection. However my 250-600 is the F* instead of the FA* version. @Clinton, as well as a few others around here have the FA*. Clint's is in mint condition though. I believe he also has the FA* 600.
Thanks. After I posted I remembered you have the F*

03-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Well, i can answer you from my point of view with a few examples:

Some of them are not taken with clear white background or in the same position.
SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF] Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F* 600mm F4 ED [IF] Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-FA* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Others do have additional stuff visible on the image like (shoulder)straps.
SMC Pentax-FA* 600mm F4 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F 85mm F2.8 Soft Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Some are captured horizontal/vertical, others diagonal.
SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-FA 135mm F2.8 [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-FA 20-35mm F4 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F 135mm F2.8 [IF] Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Some have their lens cap mounted (glas not visible) and contains visible reflections from flashlights.
SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Others have low brightness, so the depths are to dark.
SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sometimes the distance to the lens is too close, so that there's distortion.
SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-03-2018, 06:55 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@angerdan IMHO

Just so you understand, much (all) of the work building such Forum staples as the data tables and images was performed by volunteers several years ago - groups of volunteers who volunteered to volunteer, i.e. someone made a proposal to Adam and Ole to do something, then got together a group of members who carried it out . . . . .

Since no one person owns every single lens, camera and accessory in the database, the Forum (or volunteer project manager) had to solicit images (and information, in the case of the m42 and m37 cameras) from the membership, then the group of volunteers selected and edited the submissions. Such tasks as adding the image files (or data tables) to the forum storage was a massive chore, performed by volunteers in their spare time.

IMO the fact that we have images for every single artifact in the databases is a gift made by real people to the Forum membership . . . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.
03-03-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@angerdan IMHO

Just so you understand, much (all) of the work building such Forum staples as the data tables and images was performed by volunteers several years ago - groups of volunteers who volunteered to volunteer, i.e. someone made a proposal to Adam and Ole to do something, then got together a group of members who carried it out . . . . .

Since no one person owns every single lens, camera and accessory in the database, the Forum (or volunteer project manager) has to solicit images from the membership, then the group of volunteers selects and edits the submissions. Such tasks as adding the image files (or data tables) to the forum storage is a massive chore, performed by volunteers in their spare time.

IMO the fact that we have images for every single artifact in the databases is a gift made by real people to the Forum membership . . . . .
kinda like

" standing on the shoulders of those who came before us "

lifts us all higher
03-03-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so who is gonna buy & ship boxes of SMU's (ie Thin Mints) to the volunteers?
03-03-2018, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
kinda like

" standing on the shoulders of those who came before us "

lifts us all higher
Other people.
03-03-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so who is gonna buy & ship boxes of SMU's (ie Thin Mints) to the volunteers?
the SMU scaling tool was first established by Pepperberry Farm

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/99051-your-latest-acquis...l?#post3907798

here is another example of the idea [ although the actual measurement tool are cheap Walmart substitutes, not Girl Scout Thin Mints ]

Your latest acquisition - Page 24 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-03-2018 at 08:17 AM.
03-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Well, i can answer you from my point of view with a few examples:
Thank you for going through the lenses to post examples. I'm sure it took some time and your list may serve as a good starting point of which lenses to start with?

Now who is going to go through the cameras and accessories databases?
03-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How does it work to upload additional images for an existing lens as user?
And who can change the order of the pictures shown an the lens review page?