Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP gallery....would anyone be interested?

If there was enough interest, what do people think?
we could share with others how we did it.... from simple PP to complex.

just an idea, what do you think Mo?

thanks for your input

cheers

randy

02-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Great idea! There is so much to learn that we can go on for quite a while!
02-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It would be a good idea.
02-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmm... almost every image is post processed so where would one put postprocessed portrait?? Besides that to demonstrate postprocessing one must see original and postprocessed version of the same image while gallery is designed for single image posting.
I guess we could have a postprocessing forum but than again one can already post postprocessed images in the "post your images" forum.

02-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's good the general consensus is that it's a good idea, I lean that way too; with a few conditions.

Original sources should be sought and correctly identified. This is purely practical because people drop lines in long recipes. Next thing you know, twenty people flood the thread with 'you're wrong', messages, and thing go down-hill fast from there.

A consistent color space must be universal-this is probably self evident, but...

A new nomenclature should be adopted where file size and image size are obvious. The term 100% crop should be run out of town on a rail! To me a 100% crop is nothing left! The original image is 'h by v' pixels should suffice for truly full sized images. This is 'h by v' pixels from the upper left, middle , or this is actual pixels from the region around the mouth/nose/left eye, building, etc. Notes that something is from the image file or a screen snapshot are also important.

We need to be mindful of 'bashing'. Saying something is broke, bad, off, wrong MUST require quantification! Just because the 'out-of-box' defaults don't work for you, doesn't make the software busted!

We need to keep 'up-to-date' and 'open-minded'. I have favorite software and hardware; some of it isn't in production any more. I'm 'over-it' and 'have moved-on'. Hashing a dead/defunct item is just noise-unwanted noise.

Experiments fail; but one or two or three samples hardly make an experiment. Especially with no control item. Experiments of this sort are 'partial' and would need dozens of samples added to prove something good or bad, right or wrong.

Bashing, timeliness and experimentation are three areas-recklessly and hysterically out of control-on this and several other photo forums; these and playing any equivalent of a Godwin's Law trump card. People are entitled to both their opinions and their emotions; after all this photo stuff at least borders on art. In just the last few days I've given serious consideration to chucking the whole mess of forums I visit for something more sedate-like explosive building demolishing or needlepoint.
02-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

John's arguments are always succinct and authoritive. They do make sense. I am just not sure how serious we are in post processing techniques because there is a big crowd of "purity" belief, preferring "non-processed" images.

I would love this kind of forum and this would open another path for creativity.

Cheers
02-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
In just the last few days I've given serious consideration to chucking the whole mess of forums I visit for something more sedate-like explosive building demolishing or needlepoint.
You're not alone on your island Mr. Crusoe. I've been considering freelancing in Afghanistan or the middle-East for a couple of christian evangelical magazines as a possibly quieter alternative.

02-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

After reading Johns reply I can honestly say I'm sorry the forum upsets you so much.
However I do feel Post processing is part of photography and photography is very much a part of art. I think if those new to Digital photography and RAW shooting would like to learn more about post processing then those of us who do more then just adjust levels and shadows / highlights would be more inclined to give an offering of help. But since not everyone has the same software it might be a bit tricky to explain. So setting aside a post processing thread might be asking a little much.
Now if and when you post a photo and say you want an opinion and you use XWZ for post processing and would anyone care to help you make it better in post processing the thread would be open for those who have knowledge for that software. I think this would be a better solution.
02-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was only thinking it would be based on people's creativity. If someone thinks it is creative enough to post on the pp forum it would be up to them.
as someone viewing this person's work, if that someone thinks in is not worthy to be put in a PP gallery, all they have to do is look at the next one.

just my soap box opinion

cheers

randy
02-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #10

I almost always postprocess my images, exept summer outdoor pics and/or documentary style pics (was there, did that). I often correct contrast or brightness, even if for just one notch. I'd have to post all my pics to PP forum then?

If we need to draw the line then I'd suggest separating PP (post-processing) from PM (photo manipulation). PP for me is altering the image information: darker, brighter, enhancing reds/greens, (de)staurating, levels etc etc. PM is adding or removing to/from image. Removing power lines is PM, enhancing blues of the the sky and whites of the clouds is PP.

Recent PP contest had both types of contributions, enhanced and manipulated photos. If anything then I'd suggest a separate area for photo manipulation. Simple PP is natural way of producing final shot, in my opinion.
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Good Idea..I think...

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
If there was enough interest, what do people think?
we could share with others how we did it.... from simple PP to complex.

just an idea, what do you think Mo?

thanks for your input

cheers

randy
I'm sorry...But what is PP? I know that as a child what that meant, but, I doubt if that is the subject matter. I suspect it means Pentax Photos?

Last edited by benjikan; 03-14-2007 at 05:54 AM.
02-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acronyms...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I'm sorry...But what is PP? I know that as a child what that meant, but, I doubt if that is the subject matter. I suspect it means Pentax Photos?
In this case it's "Post-Processing" - your sharpening techniques are a great example.

I've been away for a while - how goes the new gear?

Regards,
Marc
02-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you to everyone who made an opinion on this.

sounds to me like it wouldn't fly.

once again thanks

cheers

randy
02-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You know very well that it means "post processing" _ which is exactly what my mate's old hound does whenever it gets taken out 'walkies' for a pipě!