Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weight of lenses

The lens search don't include the complete weight of lens with attached hood/tripod collar. It would be nice to be able to see/compare the real weight of lenses in the search.
Also only the people who are informed knows that the weight in the database is without hood&tripod collar.

The F* and FA* series even lack the information about the weight, so it's unknown if it's with or without hood/tripod collar.

Premium Legacy Full Frame Lenses with Aperture Ring, Screwdrive Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

Only exception is the 300mm 4.5, for which all information is available and the complete weight is shown in the lens search.
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com

06-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The lens search don't include the complete weight of lens with attached hood/tripod collar. It would be nice to be able to see/compare the real weight of lenses in the search.
Also only the people who are informed knows that the weight in the database is without hood&tripod collar.

The F* and FA* series even lack the information about the weight, so it's unknown if it's with or without hood/tripod collar.

Premium Legacy Full Frame Lenses with Aperture Ring, Screwdrive Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

Only exception is the 300mm 4.5, for which all information is available and the complete weight is shown in the lens search.
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com
I thought that Adam had sent out a request to members a while ago seeking info on weight of lenses and the weight of the tripod foot and hoods

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

so perhaps it is a work in progress

perhaps a PM sent to Adam might gain information on the project
06-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The search form is driven by the user review section of this site and reviews contain specifications as published by the manufacturers and or those available to the reviewer who first set up the item.

Good example! If it is not in the catalog or with the insert that shipped with the lens, the number does not exist. Given that most of those lenses have been out of production for quite awhile, those specs might be hard to find. Magazine reviews on microfiche may well be the best reference at this point short of finding an owner with a good scale.

Steve
06-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Based on recent measurements, it looks like all of the official specs (which is what we list when available) are without the hood.

I have just updated our specs table to clarify this fact. We have also been updating weights over the past several weeks to ensure that they are correct, and to add hood weights when known.

Since the weight of the hood isn't known for every lens, it makes the most sense to sort the weight based on the lens alone, in my opinion.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But the overall weight of some lenses includes the tripod collar (F/FA) and some are without tripod collar (D FA).
So one solution to fix this is to use the complete weight instead of barrel only (which is only available for >2005 lenses).
07-01-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

But the overall weight of some lenses includes the tripod collar (F/FA) and some are without tripod collar (D FA).
So one solution to fix this is to use the complete weight instead of barrel only (which is only available for >2005 lenses).
Fixing this should be doable. It would probably be easiest to just separate the weights entirely across the board, as then we can easily add them for searching and display.

So you're saying all of the DA lenses have their weight specified for barrel minus hood and minus the tripod mount?

Looking at the DB, we're still missing the weight of the DA 560mm tripod foot, so I'll start a thread for that.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Weight of the tripod collar of the DA 560mm is 246g including the 4 screws. I checked it myself with an digital kitchen scale.
I'm asking myself if it is a good idea to start an own thread for each lens?
Using one thread to collect them all could be better.

Last edited by angerdan; 07-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.
07-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Weight of the tripod collar of the DA 560mm is 246g including the 4 screws. I checked it myself with an digital kitchen scale.
I'm thinking if it is a good idea to start an own thread for each lens?
why not add the info to the chart of each lens found in the user reviews
07-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only admins like Adam can edit the lens charts, no regular users.
07-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Only admins like Adam can edit the lens charts, no regular users.
PM Adam with the info and ask him to add it

of course you could file a review with the info in the review t

my point is that the reviews exist already and I, for one, go to them already to find info about lenses
07-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've added the DA collar weight. Now, it seems the next step would be to subtract the known collar weights from pre-DA lenses. Are you 100% sure all those weights from the manual include the collar but not the hood?

Adam

07-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for doing this, Adam. It must be a bit of a hassle though.
07-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for doing this, Adam. It must be a bit of a hassle though.
I'm trying to be extra careful to maintain the integrity of the data. Our backend system has become very streamlined, and I want to keep it that way

Adam

07-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes a system that has been up this long must be a challenge to maintain and keep up to date.
07-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you 100% sure all those weights from the manual include the collar but not the hood?
I've added the DA collar weight. Now, it seems the next step would be to subtract the known collar weights from pre-DA lenses.
I checked the F* 300, in a 1989 pentax lens catalog it says 880g. So i'm beginning to understand why the lens reviews use the weight of the naked lens barrel only.

But my personal view differs, i like to know the complete weight of an lens in ready to use confguration. Same for lens comparision, because in the end i'll attach lens hood and tripod collar.
A compromise could be to offer settings in the forum user panel how to display/calculate the lens weight in the lens search and user reviews?`

Also stating weight for "weight lens only" instead of just "weight" in the user review datasheets could help less experienced users to find out about the complete weight would be an suggestion from me.