Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Raffle Problems

Please don't take this thread the wrong way. I TOTALLY appreciate the opportunity to win a camera and the generosity of those giving it away.

What I am talking about though is more technical in nature.

I tried to enter the raffle this morning and this evening both but the website kept showing the thread(s) as locked even though they were not. I could see other people posting but for me it never became 'unlocked' despite others being able to freely post.

I refreshed the page and tried numerous things but it still showed closed despite me being able to see new posts as they were going up.

Definitely good luck to all those who were able to enter, but if I could make a suggestion that the next two opportunities have a different format of raffle entry maybe? Heck a raffle is still fine by me. It's luck and chance and a lot of good fortune no matter what, but how one gets into that raffle is what I am asking about.

Some of the more rural participants here are basically already disqualified just because their connection isn't as fast or other numbers of issues that is beyond people's control. My connection is 'fair' but I still don't know why I was unable to post because of some technical reason(s).

Thanks for listening to my ideas/suggestions. This place is awesome.

PS Whoever wins, you are going to love the K-1! I know I love mine!

06-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in the end, the winner who is in the " selection " raffle

still have to win to get the K 1

what is changing is the odds

initially 1/100

now it will be 1/100 + the additional folks who are eligible due to the " fix " developed because of the problems with the selection raffle

I have no idea how to fix the mess
06-30-2018, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Please don't take this thread the wrong way. I TOTALLY appreciate the opportunity to win a camera and the generosity of those giving it away.

What I am talking about though is more technical in nature.

I tried to enter the raffle this morning and this evening both but the website kept showing the thread(s) as locked even though they were not. I could see other people posting but for me it never became 'unlocked' despite others being able to freely post.

I refreshed the page and tried numerous things but it still showed closed despite me being able to see new posts as they were going up.

Definitely good luck to all those who were able to enter, but if I could make a suggestion that the next two opportunities have a different format of raffle entry maybe? Heck a raffle is still fine by me. It's luck and chance and a lot of good fortune no matter what, but how one gets into that raffle is what I am asking about.

Some of the more rural participants here are basically already disqualified just because their connection isn't as fast or other numbers of issues that is beyond people's control. My connection is 'fair' but I still don't know why I was unable to post because of some technical reason(s).

Thanks for listening to my ideas/suggestions. This place is awesome.

PS Whoever wins, you are going to love the K-1! I know I love mine!
The timing issue has been addressed in the third raffle thread, which starts soon. Good luck!

K-1 Raffle: Entry thread 3, 11:59pm UTC, June 30, 2018 - PentaxForums.com

For July, there will also be some changes to the rules to make it a little more fair across the board.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
in the end, the winner who is in the " selection " raffle

still have to win to get the K 1

what is changing is the odds

initially 1/100

now it will be 1/100 + the additional folks who are eligible due to the " fix " developed because of the problems with the selection raffle

I have no idea how to fix the mess
I got here and checked back too late. Missed it again.

Yes the raffle is the raffle. It's fine. Sort of like playing the lotto with much better odds.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The timing issue has been addressed in the third raffle thread, which starts soon. Good luck!

K-1 Raffle: Entry thread 3, 11:59pm UTC, June 30, 2018 - PentaxForums.com

For July, there will also be some changes to the rules to make it a little more fair across the board.
As far as a 'fix' I have an idea...may or may not be liked... I think they should look at the total number of posts from the previous day... say total there was 3,000 posts. We can use a random number generator to pick between #1 and 3,000. Total of 4 numbers per day will be picked based on the post #'s. Not as many people posting that day? Your odds just went up.

At the end of the month 120 people will be in the raffle. No one can be entered more than one time in a given month.

Something like that if you are able to track the # of posts and who was poster #1748 would possibly encourage more posts and participation.

06-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #5

Some of the "problems" could be due to browser and communications caching. Nothing Adam can do about that.
06-30-2018, 07:47 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We're going to iron this out further by increasing the number of raffle threads and allowing more entries. Still, this format makes for a more exciting experience than a "hey look, we drew a random number and you won". That's not engaging at all, and could be seen by some as being rigged.

With the changes we're making I think the next event will be as close to perfect as we can get a giveaway.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're going to iron this out further by increasing the number of raffle threads and allowing more entries. Still, this format makes for a more exciting experience than a "hey look, we drew a random number and you won". That's not engaging at all, and could be seen by some as being rigged.

With the changes we're making I think the next event will be as close to perfect as we can get a giveaway.
The tweaks are good - especially for rural ADSL internet users.

06-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The tweaks are good - especially for rural ADSL internet users.
Are you talking about me again? LOL!

I have some kind of satellite internet service. It's ok, but not blazing fast. In bad weather it goes kaput for a while too.
06-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

You could always rig one in my favor. I PROMISE I won't mind.
06-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure everyone will be pleased next raffle thanks to the work of Adam and PF team!

Happy weekend