Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Email links don't lead to the latest pages in threads

I'm consistently finding that following the links in emails about threads to which I am subscribed don't take me to the latest pages in those threads - the pages reached are often several or more pages "behind" the ones on which the comments quoted in the emails are shown!

Is anyone else seeing this, and/or can anyone explain this (it's happening with 2 different laptops, both of which are running W7 & Firefox)?

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-21-2018 at 03:05 AM.
07-21-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get the same.

If a thread has only one update since my last visit, I get that update.If a thread has more than one update since my last visit I will get more than one entry in the thread but the feed will drop me into the thread where I last viewed an entry.

If it's a popular thread I tend to see many new posts and with threads like the K1 pictures thread I will be taken to my last viewed entry but after this maybe entries that extend into a new page.

This is probably what you're seeing, but one of the Admins will no doubt drop by and confirm the situation.

Tas
07-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The link will take you to the first unread post at the time the notification was generated, which will depend on your subscription preferences (instant, daily, or weekly). Since the system won't send additional notifications until you view the thread, it's possible that the notification will be many posts behind in the case of busy threads.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The link will take you to the first unread post at the time the notification was generated, which will depend on your subscription preferences (instant, daily, or weekly). Since the system won't send additional notifications until you view the thread, it's possible that the notification will be many posts behind in the case of busy threads.
Adam

That sounds logical - except that the followed links are taking me to pages with posts that are days, not hours or minutes, older than the last pages that I had already viewed!

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.
07-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Adam

That sounds logical - except that the followed links are taking me to pages with posts that are days, not hours or minutes, older than the last pages that I had already viewed!
We recently made a change where bulk e-mails don't get sent between midnight and 8am local time. This, combined with occasional high e-mail volumes, could be to blame.

I'd like to make this a per-account setting as it would likely solve the issue you're experiencing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam

OK by me - as long as it seems to work reasonably well.

John