Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Revised forum policy , just a suggestion

In light of the revised forum discussion policy. I'm wondering if there could be an area where people could generally discuss issues without directly confronting individual members. The area could be named something like 'Sounding off"
No replies would be allowed in this area, only comments. Of course the moderators would have the final word to publish after reviewing each submission. No profanity or vulgar replies would be allowed, also no direct mention of an individual member as well. In fact it would not be necessary to even publish the member's name associated with each submission, just the comment. This would allow members to get their thoughts across without criticism or confrontation..

10-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #2

Agree completely, There are some people that have the sick habit of wanting to be the fastest gunslinger in the west and are always trying to have the last word in every argument. This way, people like that are prevented from disrupting constructive dialog, or opinions, for that matter.
10-17-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I have another strong suggestion

While I think that dismissive and/or demeaning comments indeed need to be checked (I run The LightZone Project website with several others, and we are extremely strict about this...), I also believe that there really are only a handful of problem people from what I can see on the medium format, K1, and full frame forums, plus a couple of others I visit infrequently. I also must question the idea that it's the responders who are most at fault, and not the instigators. To whit:

My suggestion is for the mods to reach out to these individuals directly, and, if necessary, read them the riot act. In particular we seem on these forums to have a few individuals who are consistently negative about Ricoh, Pentax and its/their products, in addition to the doom and gloom group. I go out of my way to be judicious in my responses, but I have to say several of these consistently negative people are getting very tiresome. Only one ever seems to add anything substantive to the discussions, even though these examples themselves can be tendentious, sometimes at best. It's often so bad more than a few of us wonder why they have Pentax gear at all, and why they are here. This continual confrontation on their parts hardly makes this a more pleasant or productive place.

Deal with these very few individuals---I think it's only several, really, and it will go far to cleaning things up. Why give them a pass and blame the responders?
10-17-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's an interesting idea. My view, for what it's worth, is that forums are about discussion. Threads and posts are transactional and inclusive, whereas "sounding off" without allowing replies is one way. It might benefit the original poster by letting them get something off their chest, but could frustrate a lot of other members in the process. I'd be willing to bet that the comments to some of these posts would be just as emotive as the replies we see to provocative posts in the forums right now.

Just my two cents

10-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
While I think that dismissive and/or demeaning comments indeed need to be checked (I run The LightZone Project website with several others, and we are extremely strict about this...), I also believe that there really are only a handful of problem people from what I can see on the medium format, K1, and full frame forums, plus a couple of others I visit infrequently. I also must question the idea that it's the responders who are most at fault, and not the instigators. To whit:

My suggestion is for the mods to reach out to these individuals directly, and, if necessary, read them the riot act. In particular we seem on these forums to have a few individuals who are consistently negative about Ricoh, Pentax and its/their products, in addition to the doom and gloom group. I go out of my way to be judicious in my responses, but I have to say several of these consistently negative people are getting very tiresome. Only one ever seems to add anything substantive to the discussions, even though these examples themselves can be tendentious, sometimes at best. It's often so bad more than a few of us wonder why they have Pentax gear at all, and why they are here. This continual confrontation on their parts hardly makes this a more pleasant or productive place.

Deal with these very few individuals---I think it's only several, really, and it will go far to cleaning things up. Why give them a pass and blame the responders?
With respect, I believe the above is dealt with by the updated forum rules, the recent post on forum behaviour (and the e-mail Adam sent out today referencing that), diligence of members in reporting (then avoiding) unacceptable behaviour, and our on-going (and increasingly stringent) moderating activity which penalises and limits - in a variety of ways - those who repeatedly break forum rules, whether they be OPs or responders.

You can be sure that we take all reports seriously, and - contrary to what some members might think - we try not to be biased for or against specific members. We take current and past behaviour and moderating history into consideration, and act purely on that
10-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

Any discussions should always be conducted in a thoughtful & respectful manner. If you believe that a posted opinion is erroneous, or whatever, you should take the time to engage in an intelligent discussion that respectfully states your position without getting into personal attacks, etc. Folks who can't conduct themselves appropriately should have their posts edited/deleted/blocked and formally warned by the Forum Editor that their posts are not acceptable. Future persistent rude, bullying, etc. posts should result in problem posters being removed from the Forum.
10-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, I believe the above is dealt with by the updated forum rules, the recent post on forum behaviour (and the e-mail Adam sent out today referencing that), diligence of members in reporting (then avoiding) unacceptable behaviour, and our on-going (and increasingly stringent) moderating activity which penalises and limits - in a variety of ways - those who repeatedly break forum rules, whether they be OPs or responders.

You can be sure that we take all reports seriously, and - contrary to what some members might think - we try not to be biased for or against specific members. We take current and past behaviour and moderating history into consideration, and act purely on that
Well, thanks for responding. And with respect to you guys (and since I have moderated a forum since 2011, and before that forums for a commercial concern), whose job I know can be taxing, I still think that some exchanges with several individuals would ultimately save you and everyone else some agita. But you can be sure I'll be hitting that yellow triangle now with some frequency, unless the people I'm thinking about tone it down a lot.

10-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amegalo Quote
In light of the revised forum discussion policy.
One more minor point I'd make is, the discussion policy on the forums hasn't actually changed. We're merely drawing everyone's attention to what's always been expected here - i.e. friendly and respectful behaviour - as we intend to take action when the forum atmosphere is put at risk...
10-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, thanks for responding. And with respect to you guys (and since I have moderated a forum since 2011, and before that forums for a commercial concern), whose job I know can be taxing, I still think that some exchanges with several individuals would ultimately save you and everyone else some agita. But you can be sure I'll be hitting that yellow triangle now with some frequency, unless the people I'm thinking about tone it down a lot.
Believe me, that already happens! And, when it doesn't have the desired effect, we have the infraction points system which automatically deals with the problem as infractions mount up.
10-17-2018, 09:15 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
whereas "sounding off" without allowing replies is one way.
A sure guaranty of short threads...very, very short threads.

Steve
10-17-2018, 10:01 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Suppression of dissenting opinion is contraindicative of a discussion forum.
10-17-2018, 10:35 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

A thread with no replies or quotes . . . isn't really a thread nor is it a debate. I think that is what lacks the most is the ability to debate without dropping to insult etc. It seems like people are avid to dogma and get into screaming matches much like sticking one's head into a metal bucket and shouting at the top of their lungs trying to win over the other side to their dogma.
10-17-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't think that's the goal, here.
From what I can see, it seems to be more about the manner / tone of the differing opinions and general unwillingness to accept that its ok for people to have an opinion that differs from theirs.
Amongst other things.
10-17-2018, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
From what I can see, it seems to be more about the manner / tone of the differing opinions and general unwillingness to accept that its ok for people to have an opinion that differs from theirs.
This, combined with the fact that there have been cases in people try to constantly force their opinion upon others across multiple threads.

We take an open-minded approach to everyone's opinion, as long as things remain courteous, we expect forum participants to respect this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is not what's being proposed or discussed here, as far as I can see. But I can tell you as a forums admin elsewhere that they can be quickly be derailed and/or poisoned by incivility and/or baiting/trolling. And incivility doesn't only mean name calling.