Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stolen/Lost camera list

Adam, just a thought - it might be helpful to the forum members to have a sub-forum to list lost/stolen/missing cameras. With the ease of reselling (eBay, Craigslist, etc) it might make it possible to recover the item???

09-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Due to the international nature of the forum, I find this would be of little help.
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Due to the international nature of the forum, I find this would be of little help.
Hummmm, not sure why you feel that way. EBay is international - Craigslist has international sellers - seems that anything that would help folks would be good. Maybe you could expound on why you don't think it would be helpful.
09-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it would hurt anyone and it might help someone.
Why not go for it

09-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I also feel the same way J.C. It couldn't hurt to have a way to post gear that is stolen or lost. With the way some sellers are on EBay It might be a resource to help find lost or stolen items, and also put the person who might have stolen it, or knowingly bought the item that was stolen in the proper place for their actions. It may also give the person the items were stolen from a way to get their stuff back and also make a way for them to prosecute the person.
09-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This all beggs the question, what would you do if you found something stolen?

How youd you search the data base to find serial numbers you saw on E-bay?

how woould you prevent people posting false numbers just to try and claim something they "liked"

While I understand the sentiment, I just am not sure it is manageable
09-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good questions Lowell and all would have to be thought-out just like we did when Adam first opened the Marketplace.

I suppose one of the things one would need to do is post a copy of "proof of ownership" or a copy of the police report.

Good idea and will probably take a long time before fruition. All food-for-thought.

09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll reconsider adding this. However, I still feel that a database of stolen items might be abuse and lead to further complications.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: