Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to reference a person on a post so they get notified?

I have had two occasions in the past few days where I wanted to call out other forum posters. Can you do that in a NEW or existing POST?

(I know how to quote someone, so that might be the answer???)

11-29-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
I have had two occasions in the past few days where I wanted to call out other forum posters. Can you do that in a NEW or existing POST?

@jcsync

If the username contains a space, put a semicolon at the end, i.e. @user with a space;

This works in new posts (not edits).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can also quote them, or at least start to quote them, and copy what you see in the quoted message to the new thread you want to reference, this way they get a message for being quoted
12-03-2018, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two more things apart from the features that Adam and Lowell have mentioned.

When someone posts in a thread, by default they subscribe to the thread and get periodic notifications of new posts. So if you comment or respond to something someone has said, even without quoting or naming them, the person will generally get a notification of your post anyway.

When you say you want to "call out" another poster, that can mean different things. The term is often used to mean to challenge someone about something you find wrong or offensive. If that's what you mean, sure sometimes you just have to tackle something head-on. But just pause first and consider the options. Would it be better to answer what they have said without naming them? Would it be better to send them a personal message? (This way you might, on occasions, be able to make your feelings known, clear up any misunderstanding, allow them to correct something badly expressed and avoid a public slanging match.) Would it be better to report the post or contact a moderator? While there are sometimes ugly and heated exchanges on PF, the overall health of the forum is a credit to the tact, discretion, common sense and judgment shown by members and mods every day.

12-03-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Des

if available, some times using PM is the best option to contact another member
12-03-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
When you say you want to "call out"
I think he's referring to "mentioning" someone (as on facebook, twitter, etc.)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm showing my ignorance of social media.

12-04-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam is correct.... I was just referring to "mentioning someone" not confronting someone and the "@" sign is doing what I wanted. If the user has a two word ID, then I have been ending with ";".

So @jcsnyc works for me and @Lowell Goudge; works for Lowell.

Thanks everyone!
12-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason I like the quote method, is you can copy and past the quote, with all the forum links and functions into a completely different thread, this lets the poster know he has been quoted even if the reference is in a different thread
12-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The reason I like the quote method, is you can copy and past the quote, with all the forum links and functions into a completely different thread, this lets the poster know he has been quoted even if the reference is in a different thread
I agree - but I was asking about a brand new post. So let's say I want to post something brand new but want to be sure you see it. I believe that if I include your id (via tha @ method) then you will see that new post.

As an example, I posted something new about Adjusting Micro Focus but wanted one of the forum experts who posted on the topic 4 years ago to see my new thread. Since I was not sure if the @ worked, I PM'd him to check out my post. BUT the @ method would have been more efficient.
12-05-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree - but I was asking about a brand new post. So let's say I want to post something brand new but want to be sure you see it. I believe that if I include your id (via tha @ method) then you will see that new post.

As an example, I posted something new about Adjusting Micro Focus but wanted one of the forum experts who posted on the topic 4 years ago to see my new thread. Since I was not sure if the @ worked, I PM'd him to check out my post. BUT the @ method would have been more efficient.
That's my point.

If you see something in a post, and want to take the comment somewhat sideways, the process is as follows

Start by starting a quote of the post, and then before completing the response copy the contents of your response including the part within quotes into the clipboard on your computer/device

Then quit the response, and select in what ever forum you want, start a new thread.

Then paste the contents of the clipboard in the new thread, and you get the quote, in all its glory, and you can then have a new thread running starting by the quote of the post you want to use.

It is an elegant way to link directly the quoted post, into a new thread as pop posed to saying @soandso in another thread

That's what I was getting at when I said use the quote function
12-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

That's what I was getting at when I said use the quote function
Got it! Makes sense. Thanks