Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Supporting Dealers List?

I'm a long-time Pentax user and get somewhat distressed with all the doom and gloom around the brand. Not to say that the other traditional brands are that secure in their future given all of the new entries into the market but Pentax has been "my brand" since the 1970's and I'd like to see that continue.

So, a question/thought crossed my mind; is there anyway we could create a database map of stocking dealers for the users? Thinking in context something similar to the map of users produced earlier. I believe there's lot of merit in something like this both for the users and for the stores that still support the Pentax brand. I know the big US stores carry stock but here in this part of Canada, Henry's is the "store" and they have mostly evolved into a "we can order it" venue and some of their sales agents actually have offered negative opinions with no sense of respect for the users and cite negative relationships with Pentax which doesn't help the brand.

Thought that if this was something that could be created, the forum users could put in their subjective experience data in a multi-tiered format; (i.e. full line stock, average selection, stock to order, etc.).

Further to the Pentax brand, I know as users, we need to do more to promote and support the brand. It seems to me we are a quiet group, respectful of others and their camera choices and modest about our equipment. Some days, I wonder why Pentax doesn't hold head office seminars like some of the other brands do to get their user groups together for bonding and product promotion. I understand the big trade type shows are expensive but what would a "day in the park" cost?

Thanks for listening, love the forum and have learned a lot...the members are a very knowledgeable and supportive.

12-25-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm particularly interested in having a list of non-US stores, because they seem to be less widely known overall. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Canada Camera in London is the only store in Southern Ontario currently carrying Pentax stock s far as I know.

I have heard that Henry's Mississauga sometimes has some Pentax stock, but not recently. But it would be worth a phone call to find out.
12-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

We have The Camera Store in Calgary, though even they have a fairly limited in-store stock, many items are special order only.

12-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

In other words, it would be a very short list.
12-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Ted's cameras in Australia still carry PENTAX bodies and lenses....................................and binoculars.

Pentax | Ted's Cameras

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 12-26-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typo
12-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've given up on Henry's; there's a few items (open box, used) at their Mississauga outlet store. The newest Mississauga location at the Heartland Complex (replacing their former centrally located store at Hurontario & Eglinton) has no Pentax and it's "stock to order" if requested. Vistek, (Mississauga or Toronto) has nothing (once snubbed by one of their sales clerks for even suggesting the Pentax brand given they "cater to professionals"). Pleasantly surprised to find Downtown Camera has a reasonable selection and can discuss the product knowledgeably. My "go to" store is Burlington Camera and they have a minor selection of the mid-range stuff and can order the rest (knowledgeable, mature staff). In addition, Burlington Camera has a wide selection of used Pentax "stuff". B J Photo in Waterloo carries some items and their web site interestingly shows they have a K-1 in stock...very knowledgeable, accommodating folks. The rest of the stores in my "area" are at best, stock to order with some citing no interest in dealing with Pentax due to some "minimum order" and returns policy.

Last edited by AlwaysAl; 01-16-2019 at 04:59 AM.
01-14-2019, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have added a map, similar to the member map, where you can add retailers:

Worldwide Pentax Retailer Map - PentaxForums.com

The map should automatically be able to locate the stores using the address, so adding them should be fairly painless. Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Links are available from the buy/sell navbar menu on the forum, and from the resources menu on the homepage.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2019, 04:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hi to all, i buy my stuff in Thailand from, EAST ENTERPRISES. CO. LTD. 156/1 Denyu Building, 71 Sukumwit road, Prakranong Nua Wattana, Bangkok 10110, TEL, 662 3923130, Ian
01-14-2019, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
hi to all, i buy my stuff in Thailand from, EAST ENTERPRISES. CO. LTD. 156/1 Denyu Building, 71 Sukumwit road, Prakranong Nua Wattana, Bangkok 10110, TEL, 662 3923130, Ian
I've added it to the map for you. Thanks!

Adam

01-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The map should automatically be able to locate the stores using the address, so adding them should be fairly painless. Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Links are available from the buy/sell navbar menu on the forum, and from the resources menu on the homepage.
Thanks for creating the map Adam and it looks like we're off to a great start.
01-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

thank you very much for the map

I like the fact that the map has an actual list, with active links as well, ( but I'm a dumb American - km ?? )

perhaps a trip to the Wichita Zoo or a Cubs vs. Cardinals game might be in my future
01-17-2019, 05:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
km ??
Even though we've had metric measurement mandated here in Canada since the 1970's (think they brought it in just to confuse us) grew up with old Imperial system and still remain comfortable with it. Perhaps it's my form of defiance of authority lol. Our quick reference for Km to mileage: mulitiply by 6 and drop the right hand digit. Example 100 km = 60 miles
01-17-2019, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
. . . Perhaps it's my form of defiance of authority lol. Our quick reference for Km to mileage: mulitiply by 6 and drop the right hand digit. . . .
yep, 100 kph = 62 mph, that one I know

a meter is about 39 inches I think

and the rest I could learn but

I'm lazy

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-17-2019 at 06:49 AM.
01-17-2019, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Even though we've had metric measurement mandated here in Canada since the 1970's (think they brought it in just to confuse us) grew up with old Imperial system and still remain comfortable with it. Perhaps it's my form of defiance of authority lol. Our quick reference for Km to mileage: mulitiply by 6 and drop the right hand digit. Example 100 km = 60 miles
Ha ha, The U.S. said they were going metric, we thought we'd beat them to it. They decided not to go metric. We were too far along the path to go back. These days we wait until they actually do something before we say "me too". Life is for learning.

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2019 at 02:09 PM.