Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Inappropriate ads?

I occasionally browse PentaxForums on a mobile device while not logged in so I get to see the ads delivered by whatever ad service you're using. Many are camera related or at least in the ball park for photographers (e.g. audio equipment or travel ads) some are irrelevant (furniture) but some are pretty gross and I'm guessing you'd rather not have associated with PF i.e. "Do you have a slack sausage" or "My lover %*$( me for 4hours" but without the swear filter*.

I'm assuming you'd rather not have these types of ads, and if so, is there something that can be done? A way users can report poor ones?

*NOTE "%*$(" is NOT short for "...browses the bandh catalogue with..." , nor was the other ad alluding to BBQ failures.

02-24-2019, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Brian, I'm sure Adam will be interested in your feedback.

Personally, I use the uBlock Origin add-in for my browser, and it blocks all ads very effectively. Of course, this doesn't resolve the issue for the website in general, but I recommend it as a means of ensuring you don't see ads like these, or any at all for that matter
02-24-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't do a ton of browsing on mobile devices, so haven't been annoyed enough to bother with an adblocker. I do use uBlock on my PC though.
02-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I don't do a ton of browsing on mobile devices, so haven't been annoyed enough to bother with an adblocker. I do use uBlock on my PC though.
I can't abide ads, Brian. I know they're part of any website's revenue stream, and in fairness to Adam the precise ads shown aren't usually (if ever) under the owner's control. But I don't like any ads at all. I have uBlock Origin on my laptops, tablet and phone. I only wish I could have them on my TV, my newspapers, magazines and on the letter box of my front door too Actually, I don't mind the ads in the photography magazines I occasionally buy... but that's about it...

02-24-2019, 03:34 PM - 7 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I can't abide ads, Brian. I know they're part of any website's revenue stream, and in fairness to Adam the precise ads shown aren't usually (if ever) under the owner's control. But I don't like any ads at all. I have uBlock Origin on my laptops, tablet and phone. I only wish I could have them on my TV, my newspapers, magazines and on the letter box of my front door too Actually, I don't mind the ads in the photography magazines I occasionally buy... but that's about it...
Inspired by the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, I built a pair of glasses to counter subliminal advertising. My tech level is low, so the aren't as selective as their inspiration from Hitchhikers Guide, but they do successfully block all visual forms of advertising.

I should write a DIY guide on making a set, but I'm sure you can figure it out:

02-24-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspired by the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, I built a pair of glasses to counter subliminal advertising. My tech level is low, so the aren't as selective as their inspiration from Hitchhikers Guide, but they do successfully block all visual forms of advertising.

I should write a DIY guide on making a set, but I'm sure you can figure it out:
Ha ha Brilliant... I wish I could add multiple likes to this, but one will have to do...

Do you have the anti-mind-control hat to go with it??!
02-24-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you believe an advertisement is inappropriate, you can report it to google and also stop it from being displayed, by clicking on the info link within the ad. Ads are generally chosen based on what Google knows about your browsing history. Ads that do not fall within Google's content policies will be removed from the platform.

Please look under "On websites & apps that partner with Google to show ads":

Block certain ads - Ads Help

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2019, 05:29 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ads are generally chosen based on what Google knows about your browsing history.
Brian's in real trouble, then!

There'll be dwarfs, olive oil, latex, etc.
02-24-2019, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

On the subject of in-appropriate ads, or in-appropriate content more generally, can someone pls take a look at the footer of Ricoh Imaging Europes pages, like

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk
https://www.ricoh-imaging.fr

and confirm that it is not just me getting 'ahem' risque redirects whenever I click on the Ricoh 'Surveillance Business Department' link at the bottom right of the page.

I get redirected to 'adult dating' sites, so it seems that someone has taken control of that Ricoh page or domain. Just need to check that it is not just something amiss in my browser before I attempt to report this to Ricoh Europe.

Last edited by rawr; 02-24-2019 at 07:13 PM.
02-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
On the subject of in-appropriate ads, or in-appropriate content more generally, can someone pls take a look at the footer of Ricoh Imaging Europes pages, like

Home - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

and confirm that it is not just me getting 'ahem' risque redirects whenever I click on the Ricoh 'Surveillance Business Department' link at the bottom right of the page.

I get redirected to 'adult dating' sites, so it seems that someone has taken control of that Ricoh page or domain. Just need to check that it is not just something amiss in my browser before I attempt to report this to Ricoh Europe.
Good catch. I'm getting that too. Maybe one for Adam to bring up at CP+
02-24-2019, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you believe an advertisement is inappropriate, you can report it to google and also stop it from being displayed, by clicking on the info link within the ad. Ads are generally chosen based on what Google knows about your browsing history. Ads that do not fall within Google's content policies will be removed from the platform.
Thanks Adam! For some reason I had thought you had a bit of control over the ads, i.e. able to exclude certain categories and so on. It was on a device that has has almost no browsing history and no linked accounts (it's an old iphone used for music, podcasts, camera, etc). The ads were pretty terrible, I will attempt to report the objectionable ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Brian's in real trouble, then!

There'll be dwarfs, olive oil, latex, etc.
True story - someone used my gmail to sign up for an "AussieCupid" dating site. My email account is secure - it looked like an accidental mistyping of a real account that's close to mine. I had almost a dozen guys aged 36-50 in the New South Wales area wanting to meet up in the first day.

So add "Australians" to the list of things google thinks I'm into
02-24-2019, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had almost a dozen guys aged 36-50 in the New South Wales area wanting to meet up in the first day.
It's like The Bachelor … the one you didn't give a Red Rose to at the end of the episode was devastated!
02-24-2019, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something I've noticed at different times is I get 'Asian/Russian bride' type of ads visiting Pentax Forums but not elsewhere so the ad selection being served up is related at least in part to this site. I've simply presumed that camera forum users are stereotyped by ad algorithms as older men clearly lonely coz they they have nothing better to do than play with their lenses and bragging about how big their apertures are.
02-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This truly made my day...
...or not...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-24-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: truthfulness
02-25-2019, 12:08 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Just go to Pentax’s FB page, the official one and report it. Last time It was a missspelling on Pentax name on their site. A user here post it and a few days passed the misspelling was still there. So I contact them on FB and and they fixed it pretty fast with a return thank you message. SO.. don’t wait, just private message them on FB and they will find someone to fix it.