Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About a review

I have a question about a review given on a lens I own, the last review given was in 2019, the member stated the macro was strange at 35mm, perhaps the member didn't understand that the macro mode was only macro at 105mm. Can that be changed so others reading the review aren't put off buying the lens be cause they think it wouldn't work at 35mm?

SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The reason I'm asking is, I have this lens and am getting ready to sell it, I don't want to put it up for sale and have someone think it isn't good at 35mm when the macro is actually only at 105mm and just move on from my sale.

04-11-2019, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have a question about a review given on a lens I own, the last review given was in 2019, the member stated the macro was strange at 35mm, perhaps the member didn't understand that the macro mode was only macro at 105mm. Can that be changed so others reading the review aren't put off buying the lens be cause they think it wouldn't work at 35mm?

SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The reason I'm asking is, I have this lens and am getting ready to sell it, I don't want to put it up for sale and have someone think it isn't good at 35mm when the macro is actually only at 105mm and just move on from my sale.
Where the review says

Cons:strange macro mode, start at 35mm

I think it is making two separate points.
1. For some reason he thinks the macro mode is strange (not sure why)
2. 35mm is not really wide enough to be used for wide angle work.

The main text of the review states that macro is only available at the maximum focal length.

04-12-2019, 03:56 AM   #3
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay thanks. I guess I missed the comma between mode and start. I don't know why he'd say the macro mode is strange though, 105 is a good focal length for macro. Like the Sigma lens that comes in that focal length. Perhaps he just didn't know how to use it properly.
04-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as I understand it

with a full frame sensor, 35mm is not an uncommon wide angle lens

with the ASP-C sensor, of course, you do get a different field of view so many would not consider a 35mm lens a wide angle

04-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wasn't asking about that, Allen.
04-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I wasn't asking about that, Allen.
just trying to be helpful
04-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just trying to be helpful
Didn't help because I know about the difference between 35mm on full frame and APS-C, I came from the film era. And I was asking about the reference to the Macro I thought he meant wasn't good at 35, what I didn't realize was he had two cons, instead of one.