Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Banning should not mean complete post history deletion

It has belatedly come to my attention that DCShooter has been banned from this site. Without discussing the actual decision to ban him (since I know nothing about the circumstances), the deletion/hiding of his many posts containing very useful information (e.g. on lens disassembly) seems unnecessary and penalizes all PF members. The whole community loses useful knowledge that was voluntarily contributed.

It should be enough to ban the member - it's already a very severe measure - and quite unnecessary to delete the entire posting history. Deleting the entire posting history feels rather Orwellian...

04-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have a valid point there.
04-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well said.
04-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Agreed, and a very valid point, but, a member who has been banned ( or even decides to leave the forum) , should also have the right to ask for all their posts, and links to be removed. The choice should be that, a choice.

04-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think the subject came up a few years ago, possibly during the RiceHigh era. Really stupid and really brilliant posts are normally quoted so you would have to remove the entire thread to remove all traces of the offender. I think Adam said nyet regarding deletion.
04-30-2019, 09:08 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The whole community loses useful knowledge that was voluntarily contributed.
I agree with this point, and it is not our policy to delete a user's posts except in extreme circumstances when such action is warranted. We also don't publicly discuss moderator decisions. If any of you have strong feelings about this, feel free to shoot me a PM

I'm now closing this thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Closed Thread