Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Increased advertising?

I am seeing many more large ads than I used to on my Android phone using the mobile skin. Most threads now show a banner-like animated ad at the top and at the bottom.

Is this a conscious change? It's making PF obnoxious to read on a 5.5" phone display and also using too much bandwidth.

As an example, as I'm creating this new thread, I have an ebay ad above , a Subaru ad in the middle, and a Costa Rica ad at the bottom.

I haven't installed any new apps, ruling out that vector for viruses.

06-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
P.S. This is happening with 4G as well as my home broadband, from 2 different companies, so doesn't seem to be due to an ISP injecting more ads than before.
06-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There haven't been any changes made to the android skin in a while. Did you have a donation that expired? That could cause ads to reappear.

If you don't want to see any, an alternative would simply be to use a privacy-oriented browser, such as Ghostery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you have a donation that expired? That could cause ads to reappear.
Now that you say that, I bought the K-1 ebook a week or 2 ago. The problem started shortly after that. Maybe that purchase somehow flipped me into a status to show more rather than fewer ads?

06-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shouldn't be the case, and I checked and was able to confirm that getting an ebook should have no effect on what ads are being shown (only direct PF donations hide ads).

However, it's possible that google is making some changes behind the scenes on their own. These days, ads are "automatically optimized", and perhaps something is going wrong there.

Please feel free to e-mail any relevant screenshots to and I'd be happy to look into this further.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: