Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 02:55 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help: 404 error messages followed by inability to access PF

I'm posting this thread as a resource to the users who may have been affected by this issue.

Problem

As the security of our community and user data is our top priority, Pentax Forums runs a firewall to protect our server from automated attacks/exploits. The firewall uses an ever-evolving list of suspicious request payloads which may be indicative of an attack.

At times, you may encounter a 404 or 403 error on a page which normally shouldn't show such an error. This may be because your request (such as a forum post submission) includes content that was erroneously flagged by the firewall. In such cases, your request will be blocked.

Successive blocked requests may result in the blacklisting of your IP address. If this happens, you will see timeout errors when attempting to load any page on the forum. Therefore, do not resubmit a post upon encountering this kind of error.

Solutions

1. Check your post for stray HTML code (e.g. from copy-and-pasting, or using embed code rather than BBcode on Flickr), and symbols such as parentheses, apostrophes, brackets, and carets, as these may trigger firewall rules. Upon removing such content, attempt to resubmit your post. If this approach fails more than twice, do not proceed.

Note- apostrophes in attachment filenames can also be an issue, and should be removed. Another common culprit is the end of an html comment, sometimes used as an arrow: -->

2. Convert your post to plain text, either by pasting to notepad and back into the editor, or by clicking on the "AA" icon in the upper-right corner of the editor.

3. Send me a PM (if your IP address hasn't been blocked). I will be able to whitelist the IP and tell you what content was flagged in your post.

If your IP is blocked:

1. Attempt to open a page on the forum. You may be able to automatically regain access by solving a human verification challenge.

2. Send an e-mail to contactpf and let us know your IP. We will unblock the IP.

3. Contact us via Facebook. We will unblock your IP.

4. (after doing the above) If you'd rather not wait, restart your modem or switch to a different internet connection. This will allow you to regain access to the forum until we unblock your original IP.

Please note: these blocks are entirely unrelated to the forum moderation team or your forum account. The moderators will not be able to assist, nor do IP blocks represent punitive action against your account.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 06-21-2023 at 06:16 PM.
08-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
This thread might be a very helpful Sticky @Adam.
08-06-2020, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. I've stickied it Peter.
01-28-2024, 09:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm unable to troubleshoot further. My
IP HTTP://192.168.1.1 appears to be blocked. Others are Ok.
Request assist. TX
H2

01-29-2024, 12:47 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I'm unable to troubleshoot further. My
IP HTTP://192.168.1.1 appears to be blocked. Others are Ok.
Request assist. TX
H2
That's a local IP address- I'd need your public IP to check. (googling "what's my IP" is the easiest way to get it)

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2024, 12:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IP pacerr

Good to be back! Restored on local IP at this time.
It's been an interesting journey through a tech jungle (for me) to this point.
If I'd just known what to look/ask for to begin with...

The assistance provided has been excellent; prompt, to the point and understandable.

Can you pinpoint the cause? I'm suspecting it may have been caused by a failed PM to 'fenwoodian' around 01/15.

H2

Last edited by Adam; 01-29-2024 at 11:51 PM.
01-29-2024, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Good to be back! Restored on local IP at this time.
It's been an interesting journey through a tech jungle (for me) to this point.
If I'd just known what to look/ask for to begin with...

The assistance provided has been excellent; prompt, to the point and understandable.

Can you pinpoint the cause? I'm suspecting it may have been caused by a failed PM to 'fenwoodian' around 01/15.

H2
Yes, this sounds likely- but unfortunately it's too far in the past to know exactly why. The first post in this thread has some general tips on how to avoid the issue.

Now that we're all set, I've deleted the IP info from your post for your privacy.

Adam